Options

The American Presidency: The Once and Future Elections Thread

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I'm not even going to try to fathom where he got "Judeo-Christian persecution" out of "shooting comic book fans many of which were in full cosplay"

I think he was saying that if it hadn't been for Judeo-Christian persecution, this never would've happened. As in, this is the act of an evil Atheist and if he had had Judeo-Christian values, he never would've shot anyone.

So the old "morality is only for the religious" argument then?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I really hope that my State, Virginia, does not disappoint come election time. I feel that if Obama wins the State and Presidency and Kaine wins Webb's senate seat, then we can eventually out Cantor and McDonnell whom I consider to be cancer for VA.

Alas, Cantor's district is safe, and McDonnell can't run for reelection anyway.

I dunno if Cantor is safe Rachel had on the campaign spokesman for the guy running against him and he seems to think differently. And this guy had previous run Webb's successful senate run and Kaines governor one, so he knows what he's talking about.

How often do campaign spokesmen say "Yeah, my guy's gonna lose. No chance in hell he's going to win." I really really don't see Cantor losing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I really hope that my State, Virginia, does not disappoint come election time. I feel that if Obama wins the State and Presidency and Kaine wins Webb's senate seat, then we can eventually out Cantor and McDonnell whom I consider to be cancer for VA.

Alas, Cantor's district is safe, and McDonnell can't run for reelection anyway.

I dunno if Cantor is safe Rachel had on the campaign spokesman for the guy running against him and he seems to think differently. And this guy had previous run Webb's successful senate run and Kaines governor one, so he knows what he's talking about.

How often do campaign spokesmen say "Yeah, my guy's gonna lose. No chance in hell he's going to win." I really really don't see Cantor losing.

While true, I'm saying that the guy running against Cantor isn't some sacrificial lamb, and actually has a real manager ready to bring that sumbitch down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Look at the cognitive dissonance on this husband, who is perfectly alright with his wife paying $700 a month on healthcare, but not okay if she hypothetically pays a penalty, the fantasy of a penalty trumps the reality of her paying more for health insurance.

First, his Fox News parroting,
    "I did not like the way it [ACA] was shoved down our throats," Richard responds. "What about the people that can't afford health insurance? What part of not being able to afford it doesn't our president understand? There are people out there working just to put bread on the table, and now he's saying 'I don't care if your family eats or not.' "

And continues on with this gem of logic and irony
    [Richard] says it's unfair to penalize his wife if she decides not to pay for coverage. He supports GOP candidate Mitt Romney. And Richard has health insurance through the Veterans Administration. But Janet, who is quickly using up her life savings to pay her monthly health premium, is fully supportive of Obamacare, and supports Democratic President Barack Obama in his re-election bid.

So, Janet, who is completely fine and welcomes the ACA and who is paying over $700 a month on health insurance, endorses the plan (penalty included), yet her husband, who receives other benefits from the government and the plan won't affect him in the slightest (just help out his wife), is against the plan because if one day his wife decides not to pay her health insurance she will be penalized.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/us/embed-america-arkansas-health-care/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Man, if you're gonna shoot up a place and you want to make sure your victims are unarmed, a room full of Batman cosplayers is a no-brainer. Except if there's the one guy who dressed up as Year Two Batman.

/endtangent

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    The stupid thing is anyone who can't afford health insurance gets a subsidy to afford it, which is a shit load better than the fucking nothing they get now. Its a very small number of people who will ever face the penalty from ACA and they are not the very poor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Man, if you're gonna shoot up a place and you want to make sure your victims are unarmed, a room full of Batman cosplayers is a no-brainer. Except if there's the one guy who dressed up as Year Two Batman.

/endtangent

Or if the fans have time to prepare.

I'm going to Hell now.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So many people got rich from WWII. Best stimulus package ever. Shame it had to be spent on economically useless stuff.

The direct spending may have, but in a lot of areas it left upgraded factories full of employees and with coffers stuffed with all kinds of money, surrounded by communities where many families had recently had two incomes and a lot of soldiers were coming home burdened with pent up pay. And that's not economically useless.

The problem is, it'll never, ever happen again. Proportional to every other military in the world, the US is heavily outspending what it did in WWII, but the actual products are being made by very few companies. Any expansion in military spending means those companies get richer. I don't think it's physically possible in the constraints of this planet to expand our military to the point that anyone with a factory can start making military hardware.

The thing is, this wasn't even necessarily the case in the Second World War! The closest an industrial country got to honest to god total mobilization, like the popular image, was probably the Soviet Union. And that's largely because the Germans were stomping around their country, killing twenty million people and burning down few thousand large factories. The remaining factories didn't have much of an alternative.

The United States was the industrial superpower then as well--and there was an unprecedented amount of mobilization, of course. But not every factory was manufacturing part A for bomber C to be flown to airbase D and drop bombs German city E. There was a deliberately effort, at the same time, to increase infrastructure investment as well as commodity production. It's why the US has this sort of schizophrenic image of the wartime period--emerging out of a truly godawful depression (substantially worse than many countries in the 1930s), into total warfare, a combination of rationing but also greater consumer consumption (especially for the lower class). Really, the only people who had less in the depression than they did a few years into the war were probably among the extremely well-off who made it through the stock market crash. The USSR did the same thing in the 1930s, even during the purges--churning out huge numbers of curtains, clothes, tractors, etc., that had basically never existed before.

The point? The war was a combination of both investment for wartime but also government mandated domestic spending (some, though not all, intended to facilitate wartime production should the war go on longer). Not only does the US account for nearly half the military expenditures of the war right now during a more "peaceful" time, there are huge political obstacles in the way of the second half of that "winning" equation. Aside from churning out even more military hardware (which is possible, industrially if not financially, perhaps), it would coincide with huge revisions of healthcare, investments in education, expansion of infrastructure (back then, it was power lines and plumbing which were missing in large areas--now it'd be things like new roads, rail, communications, I would imagine). It's difficult to say exactly since we we've had large numbers of consumer goods for so long, wherein we didn't before the Depression.

Meanwhile, our "efficient, business-minded government" can't even be bothered to give the postal service a fair chance or allow it to raise its prices without making a literal congressional case out of it. It's....difficult.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12858218-the-middlesex-truck-coach-backstory?lite

The Romney campaign is so bad at this shit.

"This business didn't need Government!"

"Uhh it was started with a Government Bond."

"OBAMA BAD!"

I said to myself - they are a bus and truck maintenance stop, there's no way they don't have government contracts. I should have known it'd be even more direct

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I wonder how good the Romney teams vetting of their veep canidates can be when they can't even vet campaign stops!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12858218-the-middlesex-truck-coach-backstory?lite

"OBAMA BAD!"

Man they really must have hit the panic button over at Romney HQ

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

"OBAMA BAD!"

I said to myself - they are a bus and truck maintenance stop, there's no way they don't have government contracts. I should have known it'd be even more direct

Here's how that conversation should have gone:

"government has nothing to do with my business' success!"

"what's your business do again?"

"Repairs busses and trucks!"

"...Which drive on...?"

"...Roads."

"which are built and maintained by...?"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    The stupid thing is anyone who can't afford health insurance gets a subsidy to afford it, which is a shit load better than the fucking nothing they get now. Its a very small number of people who will ever face the penalty from ACA and they are not the very poor.

Well that's sort of the point. Paying the penalty is basically cutting off your nose to spite your face - if you're throwing the money away you might as well spend it on insurance and get something (as opposed to nothing) for it.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

Well that's sort of the point. Paying the penalty is basically cutting off your nose to spite your face - if you're throwing the money away you might as well spend it on insurance and get something (as opposed to nothing) for it.

It's a common problem with people in general though. It feels, to them, like they're having a choice taken away. So, even though it's something they would do anyway, even though it's something they support, even though it will never negatively impact them, even though it is in every way better than the current system, an imagined penalty of, say, $500 is far more terrifying to them than the current, very real, cost of $1000.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Nice, West wing is available for prime members on Amazon.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm not even going to try to fathom where he got "Judeo-Christian persecution" out of "shooting comic book fans many of which were in full cosplay"

I think he was saying that if it hadn't been for Judeo-Christian persecution, this never would've happened. As in, this is the act of an evil Atheist and if he had had Judeo-Christian values, he never would've shot anyone.

Speaking as a christian, let me be the first to say that going to a church with a cross on the roof does not in fact immunize you from being a giant cockbag and doing truly horrendous shit.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Speaking as a christian, let me be the first to say that going to a church with a cross on the roof does not in fact immunize you from being a giant cockbag and doing truly horrendous shit.

You'll find few people who disagree with that one. The more insidious side of the same coin, though, is that not doing so immunizes you from being anything ELSE. You'll actually find a lot of people, many of whom aren't crazy on the outside, who embrace the idea that without the bible there is no moral compass - that we're really all just murderous thieving rape machines held in check by the flimsy threat of punishment beyond death.

• Options

Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen:

Church_of_Scientology_Sign_small.jpg

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So according to msnbc this kid was a grad student at the medical school who had just dropped out shortly before he was supposed to graduate.

So I'm thinking this is a case of attempted suicide by cop.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So according to msnbc this kid was a grad student at the medical school who had just dropped out shortly before he was supposed to graduate.

So I'm thinking this is a case of attempted suicide by cop.
    Uh. He surrendered to cops. So, no, not likely.

usually when someone does something like this and doesn't eat a bullet or force the cops to shoot, they have some sort of message or agenda they want to disseminate.

Of course, it could be anything from crazy Bane/Bain conspiracy nonsense to his cat telling him to kill them all. We have no idea.

The extent of gear and weaponry, and the supposed extent of traps in his home leads me to think he was planning this for a while.

But I seriously doubt this will have any impact on the elections - this guy is a nutter.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

You'll find few people who disagree with that one. The more insidious side of the same coin, though, is that not doing so immunizes you from being anything ELSE. You'll actually find a lot of people, many of whom aren't crazy on the outside, who embrace the idea that without the bible there is no moral compass - that we're really all just murderous thieving rape machines held in check by the flimsy threat of punishment beyond death.

I suspect it's because one is fed that line of reasoning their entire life, if one grows up around bible belt areas anyway. Another issue is that the other line of thinking in regards to morality is a scary look at oblivion and what it means to be alive, cognizant, and human. And for most people, it's just easier to say "wizard did it" in respects to religion than to really contemplate existence.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    He probably had second thoughts once the cops actually showed up.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Speculating as to motives is dumb. It's especially dumb in this thread, as there's a 99.99999% chance he was just a violent schizophrenic or some other related mental disorder.

On topic: probably just noise, but Gallup saw a decent sized jump for the President between losing last Thursday's data (the last pre-"Firms" day) and gaining yesterday's. Obama +2, Romney -2 to move things to 48-44. Worth keeping an eye on.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Kongo wrote: »
    Whenever some moron starts talking about how a shooting could have been avoided if everyone was armed and firing back, I'm reminded of this scene in Boogie Nights. Because this is pretty much what would happen in the real world where everyone isn't a fucking action hero.

http://youtu.be/KgJKA_lCR2c

In a situation like this, where it's about as bad as it possibly could be, someone in the crowd having a gun and returning fire would have been unlikely to have made it any worse. However, these situations are thankfully absurdly rare and in any situation even a little bit better than this you (and every around you) are usually better off if you ...

a) Run away
    b) Hide well
    c) (If you are feeling that you have to do something) Hide just around a blind corner and attack the gunman if he comes round it

a or b are almost always the right choice. Your fight reflex is not helping here. The gunman doesn't need to be accurate or precise, it doesn't matter if he just wounds someone, or if he misses the guy he was shooting at and hits someone behind him. If you are fighting back then all these things do matter. You need to shoot accurately, hit the gunman, kill him, and not have the bullet injure someone else AND not be mistaken for the gunman yourself.

If you are an off duty SWAT team member then maybe you give it a go. Otherwise just keep your head down.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Speculating as to motives is dumb. It's especially dumb in this thread, as there's a 99.99999% chance he was just a violent schizophrenic or some other related mental disorder.

On topic: probably just noise, but Gallup saw a decent sized jump for the President between losing last Thursday's data (the last pre-"Firms" day) and gaining yesterday's. Obama +2, Romney -2 to move things to 48-44. Worth keeping an eye on.

In other words, there are still no actual "game-changers" to be seen.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »

Pretty much, no. I think that's the first time either candidate has opened up a more than 3 point lead in the Gallup tracker since it started. And now it reflects what most of the other national polls have been saying since Romney clinched the nomination, basically. Obama has a small, but real, lead.

• Options
    I guess HuffPo knows something the rest of us don't.

watossup.png

Triggered by Obama +9, apparently.

• Options
    That is... a conservative map.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    So, in America, it is generally considered illegal to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theatre, but your politicians are suggesting that engaging in a gunfight in a crowded, dark and tear gas filled theatre is the correct course of actions???

It's the NRA's world, we just hide behind solid cover in it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    That is... a conservative map.

I'd say more "weird" than conservative.. it looks like they're trying to make reasonably informed judgements as opposed to saying "well, anything that looks like it's close, or that was close in the last three elections, is a tossup" (looking at you, RCP). But some of those calls are just absurd when contrasted with their other ones (IA leans blue, MI doesn't?)

• Options
    Yeah Michigan and Washington tossup but CO, NV, NH not, NM strong D, NC tossup.. doesn't make sense.

Shooter:
    Especially considering he was a doctorate student at age 24 with no prior criminal history or connections to extreme groups, I would be surprised if he was not schizophrenic. Violent schitzophrenia tends to emerge around college age and is correlated fairly strongly with intelligence.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »

Pretty much, no. I think that's the first time either candidate has opened up a more than 3 point lead in the Gallup tracker since it started. And now it reflects what most of the other national polls have been saying since Romney clinched the nomination, basically. Obama has a small, but real, lead.

Yeah I think its fairly clear Obama has a 2-5 point lead nationally and that it translates into a substantially larger electoral lead. The non-economic (polls+demographics traditional) 538 projection still has Obama up only 2.5% in the popular vote but projects it more likely that Obama has 330+ EC votes than Romney 270.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Not a church, but a cult crossed with a ponzi scheme.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm kind of at a loss as to how Washington State could be a neutral at this point on any map, we are solidly leans obama if not strong Obama.

Sure we might elect that fucknut Mckenna governor, but hopefully his recent bad news screw ups that up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm kind of at a loss as to how Washington State could be a neutral at this point on any map, we are solidly leans obama if not strong Obama.

Sure we might elect that fucknut Mckenna governor, but hopefully his recent bad news screw ups that up.

I can only hope that McKenna gets taken down by all the other crap that's going on, but he looks like a pretty solid lock. Austerity here we come.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Started by a bet.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

<thatsthejoke.jpg>

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

I can only hope that McKenna gets taken down by all the other crap that's going on, but he looks like a pretty solid lock. Austerity here we come.

Meh its july, and Mckenna had a couple blows dealt to him (he was against ACA and signed on against it against Greogoire's wishes, and recently had a staffer quit after some anti asian/anti old people tweets became public). We'll see.

Either way this does not mean Washington is a neutral state as far as the presidential elections, all our gazillionares are Libby libs, and Gay marriage is on the ballot this year which should drive lib turn out, which is another plus for Obama.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Started by a bet.

And I'd say he won the bet.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Meh its july, and Mckenna had a couple blows dealt to him (he was against ACA and signed on against it against Greogoire's wishes, and recently had a staffer quit after some anti asian/anti old people tweets became public). We'll see.

Either way this does not mean Washington is a neutral state as far as the presidential elections, all our gazillionares are Libby libs, and Gay marriage is on the ballot this year which should drive lib turn out, which is another plus for Obama.

How the heck is a conservative being elected in Washington, let alone a crackpot (compared to a more moderate candidate). What conditions exist?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)