As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moved to Maryland from Texas in March, need to register vehicle and get license...

schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/REG/NewtoMd.htm

I think I may have erred here. As stated, I moved here from Texas in March. That was several months ago, and I'm just now getting around to the process of getting new plates (and title, I guess?), and license. I'm apparently too late for this to be easy (and technically in violation of the law by not having done this within 60 days or so, I guess?).

My Texas registration expired in June, I just plain missed that. I do have my vehicle's title (actually paid the car off in June too, coincidentally).

I have a passport, my current valid Texas DL, my SS card, and various documents needed to prove Maryland residency, so I was thinking this might not be too onerous. Well, maybe if I had acted before my registration expired. I need to receive a Maryland state inspection on my car to get my title and registration, but to get the inspection...I need a valid registration (in any state). Whoops. Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve re-registering my car in TX, and then registering it here? And registering in TX might be awkward because now my address is in Maryland...oh lord, I'm confused.

schattenjaeger on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    Have you actually called anyone to find out what you should do? I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. People being what they are, you're not exactly in a unique situation. I think a pretty good number of transients blow straight through that 60 day window. Worst case you renew your Texas registration--the fact that your address is now in Maryland shouldn't be an issue.

You aren't in the military, are you? Because that may make a difference.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The rule is that you have to register in 60 days or before your registration expires, which is why many people miss it. I suggest going to one of the MVAs in the county, though, like Glen Burnie or Dundalk, and not one in Baltimore City.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    I would call the DoL, but at least in my experience the worst that will happen is you have to pay a small fine.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    For the most part, people do this when their tags are about to expire. That's what we did when we moved from MD to north carolina, and what I'm about to do now that i've moved back. They might fine you a little, because the MVA makes their cash of of registration fees. Just make sure you have all your documents in order.