As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muhammad Ali vs Mike Tyson

AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Ahh Boxing, a big crowd of white people watching two black men beat the shit out of each other. All joking aside, let us discuss two Titans of boxing. Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson. Without any gilding the lily, and with no more ado, let the debate begin. For purposes of accurate comparison, let us suppose each man was at their peak fighting years. For Ali, I would estimate 1966-1968. For Tyson, i'd say 1986-1988

In this corner, The Greatest of All Time, hailing from Louisville, Kentucky. Weighing at 201lbs, with a height of 6'1", MUHAMMAD ALI!

And in this corner, from Brooklyn, New York, weighing in at 222lbs, with a height of 5'11", MIGHTY MIKE TYSON!

Now personally, I believe the fight would belong to Ali at his peak performance. Look at his fight with Cleveland Williams, blinding speed, rapid jabs, amazing combinations and lateral movement. And his reach, and height advantage over Tyson would allow him to hit the other man far beyond Tyson's reach.

AngelofVengeance on

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mike Tyson wasn't a very skilled boxer. He just packed a hell of a punch, and didn't have nearly the competition Ali had. I think George Forman was a much scarier boxer, and we know how Ali handled him...

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    George Foreman was very similar to Tyson, huge puncher, just murdering cats in the early rounds, aura of intimidation when he stepped in the ring, and an Ali not even at his peak handled that cat. Tyson was a bum who got whooped by a nobody the first time he went past the 3rd round. Ali would wreck that dumb motherfucker.

If anybody says Tyson, I swear I'm taking names and making a list.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, it's true im not a huge boxing buff, but I'd go with Ali, simply because he showed he could do more than punch people, he also used his mind.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Besides that -- check this shit:

1316a.jpg

You see that? Ali fought fucking Superman, meanwhile Mike Tyson takes on fucking Little Mac. I mean, Little Mac was deceptively dangerous for his size, but let's be real, he's no Superman.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ali would win.

Tyson would be more entertaining to me, though. To me, boxing isn't about dancing around and getting in little jabs to impress the judges. It's about punching a guy until he falls down. I want two guys in there who've never taken a dance class in their life that have meat hooks for arms. I want those two to stand right in front of each other and start swinging.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

1316a.jpg

You see that? Ali fought fucking Superman, meanwhile Mike Tyson takes on fucking Little Mac. I mean, Little Mac was deceptively dangerous for his size, but let's be real, he's no Superman.

Did Superman have time to prepare?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Ali would win.

Tyson would be more entertaining to me, though. To me, boxing isn't about dancing around and getting in little jabs to impress the judges. It's about punching a guy until he falls down. I want two guys in there who've never taken a dance class in their life that have meat hooks for arms. I want those two to stand right in front of each other and start swinging.
    Man, if you don't like Ali's boxing you're crazy. Yeah Tyson hurt some people, but Muhammad was no slouch either. He's known for his speed and footwork because it's remarkable for people in his weight class to have it, but he could definitely throw a mean punch when needed.

edit: here's that punk-ass Tyson, for those that are enjoy watching the mentally insane be violent.

• Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

1316a.jpg

Ali's tactic against Foreman might not work so good though

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing about Tyson is he was one of the hardest punchers ever. So he could maybe get a lucky shot in, and knock Ali out.

Ali would win a good 90% of the time.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The thing about Tyson is he was one of the hardest punchers ever. So he could maybe get a lucky shot in, and knock Ali out.

This is exactly what people said about Foreman when Ali fought him.

In that fight, Ali psyched Foreman out and used the rope-a-dope on him. He didn't just beat him physically, he beat him mentally. Ali threw straight rights in the first round to specifically to taunt Foreman (it's just something top fighters don't do) and then taunted him ever time they got locked up. After that he just leaned on the ropes and let Foreman punch himself out. First time Foreman had gone deep into rounds, and he had used all his gas in the early ones while Ali was waiting, which then allowed Ali to knock him out.

This is exactly the book on Tyson. If I'm not mistaken, the time Buster Douglas beat him was the first time he had ever gone past the third round in his pro career. Buster just bid his time because he knew Tyson didn't know what to do in later rounds, which was exactly what happened.

To top it off, for the most part Ali's competition was miles ahead of Mike Tyson's competition. Ali beat Frasier, Liston, Foreman, all fighters who you could also make a case that they would beat Tyson themselves in their prime. Can you name one great fighter that Tyson beat? No, they were all scrubs, minus those that beat him.

Tyson's hand-speed and punching power are incredible, but that's the only thing he has as a fighter.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I agree that Ali would school Tyson with his greatly superior boxing ability.

But Rope-A-Dope doesn't fool anyone anymore and against Tyson it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

It worked against Foreman because while he was known for hard punching he was not known for fast punches or for stamina.

Tyson had both of those if Ali stuck to out-fighting he'd whup Tyson easy but if he let Tyson get in close to do Rope-A-Dope it could backfire.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    in the last joe frazier fight Ali's strategy was in part to let frazier tire himself out by letting him punch him the abs. Fraziers later commented that it was like punching a cement wall.

Tyson would have nothing to offer Ali in a fight.

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
  • Options
    StonedYoda47StonedYoda47 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think you're all misjudging Tyson's ability. He went past the 3rd quite a few times in his professional career (Tucker and Smith went to the 12th for example). The whole time he was with D'Amato, then Kevin Rooney (up to 1988) his skills increased significantly. Watch his earlier professional bouts to see what I mean. Everyone might be thinking of Tyson as simply a brawler, of which he was a very good one, but he learned some good boxing in the middle 80's. The peek a bo style he used so much was perfect for him.

However I still think Ali would win.

StonedYoda47 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I agree that Ali would school Tyson with his greatly superior boxing ability.

But Rope-A-Dope doesn't fool anyone anymore and against Tyson it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

It worked against Foreman because while he was known for hard punching he was not known for fast punches or for stamina.

Tyson had both of those if Ali stuck to out-fighting he'd whup Tyson easy but if he let Tyson get in close to do Rope-A-Dope it could backfire.
    But the thing is that Ali went to great lengths to get inside Foreman's head. He didn't just let him punch him, he pissed him off bad enough so that he would want to punch him, really heard. To top it off, although no one knows, it's pretty safe to assume that his strategy all along was to lean into the ropes and let Foreman hit him (there's a famous story about that fight where Ali's trainer loosened the ropes before the fight as well) but leading up to the match all he did was talk about how he's going to dance and how Foreman couldn't keep up with him, he was going to use his speed etc. etc..

Considering Tyson is known for being nutty, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Ali would have no problem getting into his head.

• Options
    SOLUTESOLUTE __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Tyson is overrated.

SOLUTE on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ali could get into Mike's head the problem with Rope-A-Dope is that it requires

A. the opponent to run out of stamina quickly
    B. the fighter using the strategy to withstand the assualt

Foreman didn't have the conditioning to do a prolonged assault without getting tired.
    Tyson in his prime was known for his conditioning and his ability to throw a shitload of devastating punches.

Ali would be using a strategy relying on getting pummeled against a guy with power greater than Foreman and the conditioning to overwhelm an opponent with punches.

Foreman was a brawler (one lucky punch can end a fight), Mike was an infighter/Brawler (Power plus the speed and stamina to force that lucky punch through)

In the end we'll never know but Mike has been beaten the most soundly by out-fighting and Ali has shown that he has the skills to beat even the best in-fighters by out-fighting.

I think Ali would do better to secure an easy win by focusing on what works repeatedly rather than relying on a once used strategy against a specific opponent.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about Ali vs Dempsey? :P

Johannen on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SOLUTE wrote: »
    Tyson is overrated.

From what I've seen, Tyson is underrated. People look at the end of his career and focus on the really bad fights and the fact that he, you know, bit a guy's ear off. Because of that they think of him as an animal in the ring as well as out. In his prime he was a good boxer, and the power of his punches was terrifying.

Ali would still win, but it would be a good fight to watch.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tyson is overrated.

From what I've seen, Tyson is underrated. People look at the end of his career and focus on the really bad fights and the fact that he, you know, bit a guy's ear off. Because of that they think of him as an animal in the ring as well as out. In his prime he was a good boxer, and the power of his punches was terrifying.

Let's not also forget about the time he threatened to eat his opponent's babies.

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Tyson is overrated.

Let's not also forget about the time he threatened to eat his opponent's babies.

That was Lennox Lewis. (The boxer he said it to)

Johannen on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Tyson is overrated.

I think we can all agree that was awesome.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tyson is overrated.

I think we can all agree that was awesome.

He also told a member of the press that he'd rape his family on the press day, just after trying to fight lennox in the press area a couple of days before the fight. In which pre-fight he bit lennox's ankle.

Johannen on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can we make this into a generic fantasy boxing thread?

Because I would very much like to see Mickey the Pikey fight Ivan Drago.

Alternatively, Olympic torch-wielding, Parkinson's Ali vs. Tyson when Robin Givens had him on like 40 Valium a day.

In all seriousness, though, I have a hard time seeing Ali go down to an out-of-control punk like Tyson, savage freak though he might have been. You don't get to call yourself "The Greatest" and have it stick without something to back it up.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You cant have "In His Prime" Ali fight "The Animal" Mike Tyson - if youre going to match them up, match them up when both men were at their most devastating. That would be a match to see.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think a good pair for Tyson, and one who fits my punch-guy-till-he-falls-down profile, would be Jack Dempsey. He's one of those guys who did the 'take on all comers' kind of boxing. He'd see one guy, pound the crap out of him, then get the next guy, and he'd do that for five or six guys a night. That'd be a fun one.

It'd also be one in which you feared for someone's safety by the end of the night, but it'd be a fun one.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think a good pair for Tyson, and one who fits my punch-guy-till-he-falls-down profile, would be Jack Dempsey. He's one of those guys who did the 'take on all comers' kind of boxing. He'd see one guy, pound the crap out of him, then get the next guy, and he'd do that for five or six guys a night. That'd be a fun one.

It'd also be one in which you feared for someone's safety by the end of the night, but it'd be a fun one.

I asked this earlier but got no response.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You wanted Ali-Dempsey, which is just the same sort of problem we have with Ali-Tyson. I want Tyson-Dempsey. Ali plays mind games. Tyson and Dempsey are animals.

Who'd be a good match for Ali... oh, I got a guy. Joe Louis.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You wanted Ali-Dempsey, which is just the same sort of problem we have with Ali-Tyson. I want Tyson-Dempsey. Ali plays mind games. Tyson and Dempsey are animals.

Who'd be a good match for Ali... oh, I got a guy. Joe Louis.

Aaaah I see. Yeah I think the size difference would favour Tyson. That time Dempsey fought the 6 ft odd guy was horrific though. But I don't think it would be as easy to do against Tyson.

Johannen on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fantasy matches eh?

Got it:
    Cassius clay

Versus:

Mohammed ali.

*snicker*

Gaddez on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Fantasy matches eh?

Got it:
    Cassius clay

Versus:

Mohammed ali.

*snicker*
    This is humor? O_o

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think we all know that Ingemar "Ingo" Johansson would whoop Ali's ass and still have time to eat some meatballs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingemar_Johansson

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not digging the Tyson hate in here. Yeah, towards the end he was an overrated nutjob. But at the prime of his career, he was a decent fighter. If I was forced to put money on it, I'd definitely put it on Ali...but it'd be a hell of a fight. And I wouldn't want to put much money on it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, you fuckers said "prime of their careers."

In the prime of his career, Tyson was revolutionary. He was Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods put together times four.

Ali has a generation of mythological legendary status behind him, whereas Tyson is more "our generation," but don't let that fool you.

Tyson, as much as I hate him and was not a fan, was the most damaging human being ever to enter a boxing ring. Ali would certainly have a good chance, but I bet you Vegas odds would be on Tyson.

Yar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ali is the greatest and would win, no question. But I'd be more interested in seeing him fight Lennox Lewis.

And speaking of boxing, is anyone else excited about the Joe Calzaghe fight next month? You should be, because that dude is crazy.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think Tyson would stand a chance if he ended the fight quickly(like the first 3 rounds or so). Ali was a master at wearing people down avoiding getting hit. In a long fight he's definately win out.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Yeah, you fuckers said "prime of their careers."

In the prime of his career, Tyson was revolutionary. He was Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods put together times four.

Ali has a generation of mythological legendary status behind him, whereas Tyson is more "our generation," but don't let that fool you.

Tyson, as much as I hate him and was not a fan, was the most damaging human being ever to enter a boxing ring. Ali would certainly have a good chance, but I bet you Vegas odds would be on Tyson.

Tyson did have a talent for punching from odd angles. If you watch how he works his torso angles, he is able to move his opponent's hands with a punch to set up an odd-angle shot.

I think Ali would win by dancing from the outside and wearing Tyson down but I wouldn't be surprised if Tyson did some damage when he managed to get inside. All this talk of Rope-a-Dope doesn't make sense because Ali didn't do that until he was past his prime.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ali is the greatest and would win, no question. But I'd be more interested in seeing him fight Lennox Lewis.

And speaking of boxing, is anyone else excited about the Joe Calzaghe fight next month? You should be, because that dude is crazy.

I don't care what anyone says, Calzaghe is a very good fighter that i'm pretty definite could beat anyone in the world right now.

Americans always argue for American boxers at this point, but i'm an all round boxing fan that loves all types of fighters, and I actually hate a lot of Brittish boxers and think in the majority they're shit. Saying that, I would say that Calzaghe is just too damn good for anyone else right now.

Johannen on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I agree with that.

Ali is by far the better ring general, tactician, etc - so he's the overwhelming favorite but Tyson still has the proverbial Puncher's Chance. Tyson was the equal or better of Ken Norton, who beat Ali once and lost the rematch in a split decision - and many will argue that it was Norton who won the second fight, too.
    To top it off, for the most part Ali's competition was miles ahead of Mike Tyson's competition. Ali beat Frasier, Liston, Foreman, all fighters who you could also make a case that they would beat Tyson themselves in their prime. Can you name one great fighter that Tyson beat? No, they were all scrubs, minus those that beat him.

Tyson beat an aging Larry Holmes - not the equivalent of Ali beating a prime Frazier or Foreman, but about the same as Ali beating an aging Floyd Patterson.

Behavior wise Tyson was always an idiot, although Ali spent much of his career saying more than his share of nasty, hateful things. And unlike Tyson, Ali didn't have the excuse of being some dumbass street punk of questionable sanity. However, also unlike Tyson, Ali has tried to make amends in his post-fighting career.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    BigSlickBigSlick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »

Ali is by far the better ring general, tactician, etc - so he's the overwhelming favorite but Tyson still has the proverbial Puncher's Chance. Tyson was the equal or better of Ken Norton, who beat Ali once and lost the rematch in a split decision - and many will argue that it was Norton who won the second fight, too.

Yeah, Ken Norton owned Ali something fierce. We're all assuming 15 rounds in a ring big enough for Ali to dance his way to a unanimous decision. What happens if it's a four rounder in a tight ring?

BigSlick on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigSlick wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »

Yeah, Ken Norton owned Ali something fierce. We're all assuming 15 rounds in a ring big enough for Ali to dance his way to a unanimous decision. What happens if it's a four rounder in a tight ring?

Ali beat Norton in a controversial 3rd fight by decision too, but that was far from prime Ali.

Ali-Frazier III essentially broke both fighters. Frazier retired soon after that, and Ali was never again close to what he was.

BubbaT on