As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Print Screen woes; or, my computer is haunted

scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was attempting to take a screen capture from a movie, and the following undocumented behavior occurred:

1. Hit 'print screen' with Windows Media Player open. Screen contents are dumped to clipboard.
2. Open MS Paint (lol). Hit ctrl-v. Contents of clipboard are dumped to .jpg file.
3. Save .jpg file.
4. Close WMP.
5. Open .jpg file; discover that it's now showing my desktop with a blank WMP window.

To sum up: it seems that a .jpeg knows when I've closed the media player from which its contents were obtained, and is changing accordingly. This seems slightly crazy to me. Does anyone have a better explanation (some kind of creepy DRM thing, video card bug, whatever), and hopefully a way around the problem?

scrivenerjones on

• Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ctrl + I in windows media player captures the image and asks you where to save it

trixtah on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    er, I don't think it does. in wmp11 at least.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    This is hard to explain, but basically you can't capture the video because it's on an overlay in Windows.

The easy way to let WMP allow you to use PRNTSCRN is to go to WMP's options and turn off hardware acceleration completely, or just overlays.

As an experiment, try capturing the screen again, and then move around your paste in MSPaint. You'll see the video image stay put.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh okay, yeah the above is pretty correct. if you don't want to do that, there are some free screencap programs you can dl

trixtah on