Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Check disc integrity (PS1, dreamcast) without having to play games

Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Google told me about a $70 app on Windows to do this (CD/DVD Diagnostic) but- I'm trying to re-sell games and $70 would kill my profits. Is there anything free or less that I can count on to get the job done and confirm these discs will play (they have some light scratches). Bonus points if it's Mac and I don't have to whip out the laptop!

Sharp10r on

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yeah, buy a dreamcast or PS1.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    hmmm, you could use your pc to make an image of the disc, generate a checksum, then see if you can what the checksum should be for that game. You'd need to make sure it was the right edition/printing/region and all that. I'm not sure if there's any central repository of that kind of information. I know some of the not-legit ways to get games often put checksums so you can verify it downloaded correctly or was not modified.

Edit: Furthermore the image creation process would probably reveal a lot of potential errors in and of itself.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    hmmm, you could use your pc to make an image of the disc, generate a checksum, then see if you can what the checksum should be for that game. You'd need to make sure it was the right edition/printing/region and all that. I'm not sure if there's any central repository of that kind of information. I know some of the not-legit ways to get games often put checksums so you can verify it downloaded correctly or was not modified.

Edit: Furthermore the image creation process would probably reveal a lot of potential errors in and of itself.

Perfect! Thank you.