As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

help! I may have just broken my uncle's computer (update - busted in a new and stupid way)

MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
He got a new computer last week, and it was having some issues with Shogun 2 Total War. I was trying to troubleshoot them because he was busy with stuff. One of the suggestions I saw was to update the BIOS to try to make things play nice, which I did after asking him like a thousand times if this was okay and what he wanted me to do (we both knew that flashing the BIOS could end in catastrophe but he said do it). It's an ASUS P8Z77-V LO motherboard. It flashed, computer restarted.

Now the computer will start to boot, allows me to screw with the BIOS if I want, and then continues to try and boot into Windows (7 64 bit). BSOD ensues with the error code STOP: )x0000007B and not much more info. I'm not finding a lot of information other than maybe the BIOS settings aren't correct but he never really messed with them so unless they were changed from factory when the computer was shipped (it's from cyberpowerpc) I don't know what could be wrong. Sorry if this is hard to read I'm kind of freaking out a lot right now because I feel like it's my fault even though he knew the risk and gave me his blessing.

Melinoe on

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    I googled BIOS, STOP and x0000007B, and found this page, which offers some 16 possible solutions. Have fun!

• MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I checked that already, pretty much all of them except for "restart your computer and try again" seem to require you to boot into Windows, which isn't an option.

Nevermind, I fixed it. Needed to switch the SATA drive to RAID from AHCI or whatever, didn't try it at first because I misunderstood him when he was talking about whether or not he had a RAID array. This can be locked now, panic averted.

New breakage. After I did what I did in the above post it worked fine, stayed on all night, ran Skyrim with no issues. Restarted it just now, it started running chkdsk which I figured okay, weirdness happened last night, whatever. Now it seems to have deleted the Windows installation.

It starts to try to boot into Windows and then it goes into a system recovery thing. When I try to system restore or something it tells me to select a Windows installation. If I boot off the Windows disk it asks if I want to install Windows. There's a repair your computer option at the bottom that just gives me the same thing that it does when I try to boot without the disk.

Is there something weird going wrong where I can maybe get the Windows installation back or is it just lost and needs to be reinstalled? That isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but if there's any way to recover it it'd be nice to do so.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Melinoe wrote: »
    New breakage. After I did what I did in the above post it worked fine, stayed on all night, ran Skyrim with no issues. Restarted it just now, it started running chkdsk which I figured okay, weirdness happened last night, whatever. Now it seems to have deleted the Windows installation.

It starts to try to boot into Windows and then it goes into a system recovery thing. When I try to system restore or something it tells me to select a Windows installation. If I boot off the Windows disk it asks if I want to install Windows. There's a repair your computer option at the bottom that just gives me the same thing that it does when I try to boot without the disk.

Is there something weird going wrong where I can maybe get the Windows installation back or is it just lost and needs to be reinstalled? That isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but if there's any way to recover it it'd be nice to do so.

As far as I know, Windows does not self terminate. Can you pull the drive and see if anything is still on there? I had a terrible time once with a new, turns out the hard drive was going bad. Replaced it, no problems now.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    Could potentially stick it into another computer, dunno if he will want to. Tech support can be called tomorrow, just checking my options in the meantime. The system recovery options say that they can do stuff, just pick an operating system, and that if none are displayed (which there are not) then you can load the hard disk drivers and that can make one appear? But I'm not sure how to do that.