As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] [CHAT] [CHAT] [CHAT]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    DUE you know the way of the future is matte monochromes, lachromania, unquantifiable rhythms, and washed out horizons.

It has been decreed.

i often confuse decrees and hopes.

also it looks like i am finishing up the philosophy major by next year.

oh man the attitude I have developed is not going to be an asset when I go to class.

If I go back to school, I'm going to abandon my philosophy degree and go for math or CS

You said this a few months ago.

Definately a wise choice.

I mean, the biggest thing is that I don't want to be "the continental guy" at a good american school, and I SURE AS FUCKING HELL don't want to at a "continental program" or, worse, critical theory

*shudders*

also

I've come to really, really, really detest academia.

also also

you know

tumblr_lovqlyIZey1r0u8ydo1_500.gif

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    hey my undergrad degree was CS!

How many houses do you own?

or, well,

on how many houses do you pay a mortgage?

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Math, depending on the sort, is not that much terribly more practical than philosophy, especially if you have little or no interest in being an actuary (or one of the handful of other careers it can actually play directly to). CS is quite marketable, though. So it depends what you're looking to get out of going back to school.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    should I dig up Arivia's sub/dom lifestyle thread?

Please no.

Jacob tell me more about your encounter with roleplay and, subsequently, ERP. How did you bail out on the party? Or refuse things? Did you refuse?

I just talked to people until folks began to filter out and the person I'd come with figured we'd put in enough of a polite appearance.

I can't imagine how weird that must be. Enough people are put off even by normal RP. Which bugs me since I do it. I actually quit City of Heroes a few months ago because the RP end was failing me (not that I was looking very well for it). I should try again. Pocket D was a weird place, even for my tastes.

I don't mind RP, although if I did it regularly I would prefer to keep it out of combat because while I like flavor I like not dying more. And I fucking despise people who get prissy about how you know their character name that's hovering over their head. It's the fuckin' 21st century, dogg. I have a gizmo that shows me your name. Deal with it.

Also I wish there was more RP'ing about cities and heroes in "City of Heroes" but I recognize that is a lost cause.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    DUE you know the way of the future is matte monochromes, lachromania, unquantifiable rhythms, and washed out horizons.

It has been decreed.

oh man the attitude I have developed is not going to be an asset when I go to class.

If I go back to school, I'm going to abandon my philosophy degree and go for math or CS

I mean, the biggest thing is that I don't want to be "the continental guy" at a good american school, and I SURE AS FUCKING HELL don't want to at a "continental program" or, worse, critical theory

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

You want to be a morbidly obese black man who throws four $20 bills at a fixed camera?

Edit: Actually, pretty sure those aren't even $20s.

_J_ on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    philosophy major

:^:

Naw

Nice job!

I'll see you in the line for unemployment checks.

Naw

when I finish i'll have two CS certifications and getting into IT should be a breeze.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    philosophy major

:^:

Naw

Nice job!

I'll see you in the line for unemployment checks.

Naw

when I finish i'll have two CS certifications and getting into IT should be a breeze.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Math, depending on the sort, is not that much terribly more practical than philosophy, especially if you have little or no interest in being an actuary (or one of the handful of other careers it can actually play directly to). CS is quite marketable, though. So it depends what you're looking to get out of going back to school.

Exactly. If I go to for Math, I'll probably try to go the PhD route, or so I imagine. If I go for CS, it will probably be with a specialization in signal processing and I'll try to get a job in music software.

But hopefully I'll start making money on music in the next few years and it won't be as pressing an issue!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Is this double post night?

Cause it seems like double post night.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Fortunately, the things in life I like most are cheap--drinking with old friends, reading, and lying around.

• Options
    Fortunately, the things in life I like most are cheap--drinking with old friends, reading, and lying around.

Depends on what you drink.

• Options
    also, whatcha all think about this as a possible album cover?
    spsskybldnglogo.png

Pods I don't like it.

My suggestion would be to make the background less busy or the name less busy. But with both of them each going their own way it just doesn't come together in my opinion.

with that said I like both designs individually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

You want to be a morbidly obese black man who throws four $20 bills at a fixed camera?

tumblr_lovb8a01jC1qhi11io1_400.gif

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Exactly. If I go to for Math, I'll probably try to go the PhD route, or so I imagine. If I go for CS, it will probably be with a specialization in signal processing and I'll try to get a job in music software.

But hopefully I'll start making money on music in the next few years and it won't be as pressing an issue!

If you detest academia, Math Ph.D. might not be the right choice.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't imagine how weird that must be. Enough people are put off even by normal RP. Which bugs me since I do it. I actually quit City of Heroes a few months ago because the RP end was failing me (not that I was looking very well for it). I should try again. Pocket D was a weird place, even for my tastes.

I don't mind RP, although if I did it regularly I would prefer to keep it out of combat because while I like flavor I like not dying more. And I fucking despise people who get prissy about how you know their character name that's hovering over their head. It's the fuckin' 21st century, dogg. I have a gizmo that shows me your name. Deal with it.

Also I wish there was more RP'ing about cities and heroes in "City of Heroes" but I recognize that is a lost cause.

The amount of RP'ers in any game who try to do it while in combat is such a minimum. I technically do it in WoW, but only because of macros I have setup and it's not very in-depth.

There's definitely ways to RP knowing someone's name before finding out from them. Having a gizmo that does it is kind of the lamest way though. <_< Just stick with being told by someone nearby or a known mutual acquaintance or something. :P

• Options
    spsskybldnglogo.png

Pods I don't like it.

My suggestion would be to make the background less busy or the name less busy. But with both of them each going their own way it just doesn't come together in my opinion.

with that said I like both designs individually.

I had the same concerns, DUE

good to know

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

tumblr_lovb8a01jC1qhi11io1_400.gif

That man's mouth is on fire!

Strange ideals, man.

• Options

20110211fortiesstory.jpg

• Options

The amount of RP'ers in any game who try to do it while in combat is such a minimum. I technically do it in WoW, but only because of macros I have setup and it's not very in-depth.

There's definitely ways to RP knowing someone's name before finding out from them. Having a gizmo that does it is kind of the lamest way though. <_< Just stick with being told by someone nearby or a known mutual acquaintance or something. :P

Ok, I thought you guys were talking about sexual Role Play.

Now I hope I am wrong.

• Options

20110211fortiesstory.jpg

I actually laughed out loud at that.

• Options

Academia as a whole was too broad. For instance, I really like analytic academia for the most part; I just don't agree with their foundations and approaches to problems!

I detest

you know

those academics

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I think it's tedious and adds absolutely nothing to the experience

• Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

this is where i am. minus the hundos wanton abandon.

going to these classes and talking to these people who think they just discovered the secret of everything will be a nutty experience.

i've already had the privilege of learning that i'm a pretty dumb dude. my guess is that the majority of folks in these classes have not yet had that insight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Here is a short film / music video thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

going to these classes and talking to these people who think they just discovered the secret of everything will be a nutty experience.

i've already had the privilege of learning that i'm a pretty dumb dude. my guess is that the majority of folks in these classes have not yet had that insight.

You get to crush their hopes and shit on their dreams.

Treasure those moments.

• Options

Academia as a whole was too broad. For instance, I really like analytic academia for the most part; I just don't agree with their foundations and approaches to problems!

I detest

you know

those academics

Aha.

Well, carry on then.

• Options
    really it was dealing with some of the peeps in the critical theory departent at my ex's PhD program that made me sick

like, I was vomiting at the carelessness with which they "theorized"

it made me want to retreat to reading Frege and Quine and never leave, AND I HATED THEM FOR IT

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

20110211fortiesstory.jpg

I actually laughed out loud at that.

When you don't make much money, it's best to avoid cultivating a taste for the finer things.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I think it's tedious and adds absolutely nothing to the experience

It really depends on the characters involved, where you're at, what everyone is doing, etc. I had a city guard character that would meet people several times over, through any sort of happenstance, and proper introductions coming later was actually a ground breaking moment.

• Options

Now I hope I am wrong.

I could talk about it if you want.

• Options
    really it was dealing with some of the peeps in the critical theory departent at my ex's PhD program that made me sick

like, I was vomiting at the carelessness with which they "theorized"

it made me want to retreat to reading Frege and Quine and never leave, AND I HATED THEM FOR IT

Most academics are awful.

All critical theory academics are totes awful.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    also, DUE, new track, if you want something to go along with that album art

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28011703/nimzo II mix I.mp3

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Now I hope I am wrong.

I could talk about it if you want.

No, it's fine.

I was just following along.

And then slowly realized, "Oh, they aren't talking about fucking."

• Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

Treasure those moments.

naw. i'm not really into that either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It has been decreed.

*shudders*

also

also also

you know

Treasure those moments.

naw. i'm not really into that either.

Ah.

Well.

Maybe they'll raise interesting points?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    @casual eddy i won that last LoL game by carrying so hard with Garen.

I am Demacia.

flex.

the one I bowed out on?

Yeah. Why'd you bow out?

wanted to play some murderbridge

what's that?

i go to the queensboro bridge

and i murder someone

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    hey my undergrad degree was CS!

How many houses do you own?

or, well,

on how many houses do you pay a mortgage?

One!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spsskybldnglogo.png

I think it is cool

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Being the best philosopher in an undergraduate philosophy class is an excellent way to develop excessive self-esteem (and an excellent way to set yourself up to be crushed at the next-biggest pond).

• Options
    non sequitur: I am slightly amused by the degree to which gum packs have become more like cigarette packs recently.

This discussion has been closed.