As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iga: Rondo of Blood PSP's SOTN to change VA; thoughts on future of Castlevania

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Interview here, but GODDAMMIT:
GR: ... As we understand it, you're going to be working on some changes for SOTN [for the upcoming Rondo of Blood PSP Collection]. Could you talk about these changes?

KI: So basically, it's mostly a straight port from the original SOTN on PlayStation. I wasn't happy about the quality of the PlayStation SOTN voiceover, so I'm trying to do something about it on the PSP.

There's a particular part that I didn't like. It was a cool part with Alucard. Richter was laughing, and Alucard turned around and said "Who are you?" but not in a very cool way. [Imitating the voice acting] "Who. Are. You?!" Obviously I don't speak English, but even I felt really uncomfortable with that voice acting.

There are some more details I could tell you [but] I will keep them secret.
Redded for EVIL. I think I speak for everyone when I say: DIE MONSTER! YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!

He also talks about the potential future of the franchise and about how part of the reason he decided to bring Rondo of Blood to the West was to gauge responses to it. I'm only excerpting here:
KI: That's a good question actually. Because another reason I brought Rondo of Blood to PSP this time was to test case with the consumers if they would accept the linear type of game. Because, obviously, the linear type of game is not mainstream level design in the current industry. From my end, my keyword to the game creation was "longevity." How gamers could last the gameplay and play it over and over again. So I really want to hear the consumer reaction to the linear type and see if it would fit for the future Castlevania series.

GR: Do you feel it has something to offer that the exploratory style doesn't? Could they work together in harmony?

KI: [Exploration] was one the keys to the success of the Castlevania series, linked with the linear possibility. I don't know about the US, but this is like a phenomenon in Japan that not many people could heavily play games nowadays. And that they are only asking for a short time of gameplay. That's why one of the phenomena is the Nintendo DS - it's been really popular.

My thinking has been, in the past, like back with SOTN, longer gameplay has been everything to me. But probably, the trend might have changed in modern days, in that probably, though linear level designs are getting much less popular, there might be potential to the industry where consumers are able to have short gameplay but provide a heavy game [experience] in that short period of time. If we could get consumers' understanding for that point, we could probably keep on working on the linear type.

So New Super Mario Bros. on DS could be a good example. They've got linear level designs. They do have some exploration elements in it. They've got tons of things in it like items and everything put together in one game, and we can't do that with Castlevania, unfortunately, because we know that Castlevania fans all want detailed graphics and they want to see everything different with the stage designs. So it's kind of hard to follow purely like Mario. So personally speaking, going back [to what I said] earlier, I would like to see the consumer reaction with our linear type first, and see if we could do something [different] with the Castlevania series, maybe including some exploration.
KI: ... So we know that we can't overcome if people think SOTN is the masterpiece. We can't overcome that part, or win over those Castlevania fans [who love] SOTN. But then again with Portrait of Ruin we [experimented with bringing] over the SOTN graphic parts, and we're quite happy with the graphics that we brought over. But as you know with POR it wasn't all about the castle. There were outdoor stages and you saw some graphic changes over the stage designs. So anytime we develop Castlevania games we're moving forward to look for new opportunities, and we challenge to expand our series. So we will keep on a lot of staff to develop new experiences, for the consumers. However if fans are still thinking that SOTN is the number one game we can't help it. We can't erase their memories.

EDIT: I keep fucking up the headline, so there you go.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This guy is smart. I agree with a lot of what he's saying, and I would definitely like to see at least a move towards returning to the linearity of the older Castlevania games. I'm also excited to play Rondo of Blood for the first time.

Food on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Redded for EVIL. I think I speak for everyone when I say: DIE MONSTER! YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!
    We've all memorized the dialogue by now. It's no big deal.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At this point I'd kill for another 2D game in the vein of Rondo.

I'd also kill to see a full-assed attempt at a linear 3D action game, particuarly on the Wii. Sure, you can't do 1:1 sword control with the Wiimote, as a sword is a static, rigid object.

But a whip? There's some potential there.
    Elendil wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    We've all memorized the dialogue by now. It's no big deal.

That, and the fact that there's virtually no chance the PSP version will make anywhere near the size splash the original made. Its influence will be limited.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cool. New voice acting. I'm tired of hearing the same stuff from '97.

JJ on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't linear and exploratory gameplay already co-exist with SOTN? 'Cause I thought it did - there were places you couldn't go and things you needed to acquire in order to gain access to later levels. The linearity existed in that you needed certain items and abilities in order proceed to the next, often more challenging, level.

Or is he talking about toning down the exploration elements in favor of a purely linear level design and seeing if the US warms up to it. Iga, you make me confused.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He's talking about going back to the awesomeness of Dracula X itself, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. where the game progression is linear but there's tons of branching paths/secrets/etc. everywhere.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    He's talking about going back to the awesomeness of Dracula X itself, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. where the game progression is linear but there's tons of branching paths/secrets/etc. everywhere.

I feel like they almost tried that with Curse of Darkness, except that was easily the most half-assed Castlevania I've ever played.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    where the game progression is linear but there's tons of branching paths/secrets/etc.

Sounds like Castlevania 3 to me!

Captain K on
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We need more games likes like COTM rather then Aria of Sorrow.

Zone on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Cool. New voice acting. I'm tired of hearing the same stuff from '97.

But it's a classic!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zone wrote: »

Really hard and poorly animated?

Joking.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zone wrote: »

Really hard and poorly animated?

Joking.

Actually I liked that it was harder. I beat Aria in less then a week.

Zone on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just hope Richter's new voice isn't that grunty He-Man crap that was in Portrait of Ruin, and is in the trailer for Dracula X Chronicles (I hope that's just place-holder).

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    where the game progression is linear but there's tons of branching paths/secrets/etc.

Which IGA constantly cites as his favorite Castlevania game.....

I really, really like the SotN knockoffs we've been getting lately.... I know a lot of people like the stage based games, but..... I do prefer where the series went after SotN, and by a pretty large margin.

Anyway, I have faith in IGA and I'm sure whatever they decide to do next will work.... As long as it isn't 3D. (I'm not a Curse / Lament hater, but they aren't exactly what I'd call great games. Fun? Yeah. But no thanks to the level design!)

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just hope Richter's new voice isn't that grunty He-Man crap that was in Portrait of Ruin, and is in the trailer for Dracula X Chronicles (I hope that's just place-holder).
    What is a grunty He-Man? A miserable pile of grunty He-Secrets!

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jebral wrote: »

I really, really like the SotN knockoffs we've been getting lately.... I know a lot of people like the stage based games, but..... I do prefer where the series went after SotN, and by a pretty large margin.

Anyway, I have faith in IGA and I'm sure whatever they decide to do next will work.... As long as it isn't 3D. (I'm not a Curse / Lament hater, but they aren't exactly what I'd call great games. Fun? Yeah. But no thanks to the level design!)

See, that's the problem, people say Castlevania can't be done in 3D because no one has bothered to get it right. That fact, coupled with the legacy of Symphony being carried on elsewhere in the safest, least revolutionary way possible for the most part.

Like I said before, someone willing to use their whole ass needs to take a shot at the first great 3D vania.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Oh, really? I didn't know that.

It's probably my favorite, too, although I love 4 as well.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Playing the Metroid series again has kind of highlighted the weakness of the level design in the more recent 2D Castlevanias. There really just isn't any interaction with the environment.

Elendil on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

See, that's the problem, people say Castlevania can't be done in 3D because no one has bothered to get it right. That fact, coupled with the legacy of Symphony being carried on elsewhere in the safest, least revolutionary way possible for the most part.

Like I said before, someone willing to use their whole ass needs to take a shot at the first great 3D vania.

I'd love nothing more than a great 3D Castlevania. I'm not one of those ultra-anti 3D guys the series seem to attract, But I just honestly don't think that we'll ever get anything that even resembles a great 3D game as long as IGA is in control.

I just don't want to go stage based again.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Why not, specifically? Most modern action games are level based, and they can be pretty damn successful. Devil May Cry and God of War come to mind.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Oh, really? I didn't know that.

It's probably my favorite, too, although I love 4 as well.

Curse of Darkness started as a remake of Dracula's Curse, and then there's Julius mode in DoS, which is nothing but a huge tip of the hat. If I'm not mistaken, there's even an animated movie based on CV3 in the works.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Why not, specifically? Most modern action games are level based, and they can be pretty damn successful. Devil May Cry and God of War come to mind.

As long as it's set in a continuous environment that generally stays open to you, like DMC 1 or Ninja Gaiden, I'm fine.

It's just that being restricted as to where I go by stage pisses me off. If I want to backtrack to kill these guys for item drop X, let me!

But you know what? I'm too much of a fan. I'm too attached to the current style of games for my own good.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

As long as it's set in a continuous environment that generally stays open to you, like DMC 1 or Ninja Gaiden, I'm fine.

It's just that being restricted as to where I go by stage pisses me off. If I want to backtrack to kill these guys for item drop X, let me!

But you know what? I'm too much of a fan. I'm too attached to the current style of games for my own good.

I'm a fan from way back, so even though I dug Symphony, I didn't for a moment want it to replace games like III and IV.

For me, there's an aesthetic at work in those earlier games that hasn't been recaptured. Maybe it's nostalgia, but there's been something missing. Could be the static Metroid environments, could be the intrusive and shitty plots, could be the semi-abandonment of the really gothic look of the older games. Can't say, really.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm a fan from way back, so even though I dug Symphony, I didn't for a moment want it to replace games like III and IV.

For me, there's an aesthetic at work in those earlier games that hasn't been recaptured. Maybe it's nostalgia, but there's been something missing. Could be the static Metroid environments, could be the intrusive and shitty plots, could be the semi-abandonment of the really gothic look of the older games. Can't say, really.

I remember when my brother got the original for me because it was on clearance at his job. He got me that and Wrath of the Black Manta :)

Anyway, I liked the series before, but (I hate to sound like one of those fans, but....) SotN is where the series really grabbed me, and oddly enough, also was what turned me on to RPGs. That's right, before SotN, I had never played a single, solitary game with leveling up or a breadth of equipment or anything like that.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KI: ... So we know that we can't overcome if people think SOTN is the masterpiece. We can't overcome that part, or win over those Castlevania fans [who love] SOTN. But then again with Portrait of Ruin we [experimented with bringing] over the SOTN graphic parts, and we're quite happy with the graphics that we brought over. But as you know with POR it wasn't all about the castle. There were outdoor stages and you saw some graphic changes over the stage designs.

Which were just indoor stages that looked like outdoor ones.... :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    KI: ... So we know that we can't overcome if people think SOTN is the masterpiece. We can't overcome that part, or win over those Castlevania fans [who love] SOTN. But then again with Portrait of Ruin we [experimented with bringing] over the SOTN graphic parts, and we're quite happy with the graphics that we brought over. But as you know with POR it wasn't all about the castle. There were outdoor stages and you saw some graphic changes over the stage designs.

Castlevania started out as a hallmark for great, fiendish level design, and devolved into a poster child for banality, which of course sucks.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the Casltevania series needs to be simplified. I have a lot more fun running through all the latest Castlevania games with the unlockable Belmont quests than I do with the main games. No item collecting, no amassing souls or crystals or shit, little emphasis on leveling up - the most fun I got from Portrait of Ruin is running around as Richter and Maria and beating Dracula. It was challenging and you felt like a badass when you negotiate your way around some of the harder bosses.

And yeah, I also would like to see stages in a 2D Castlevania game again. The Metroid-style has been perfected so let's see what else can be done with the series.

Also, Curse of Darkness was better than Lament of Innocence was better than Castlevania 64. At least they're getting better with the 3D Castlevanias...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Castlevania started out as a hallmark for great, fiendish level design, and devolved into a poster child for banality, which of course sucks.
    I miss the days when beating a game really felt like, well, beating a game--overcoming something that seemed never to waver in its aspirations to annihilate you with both death and shame. Now they just work under the assumption that you're going to win regardless of anything.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I think the Casltevania series needs to be simplified. I have a lot more fun running through all the latest Castlevania games with the unlockable Belmont quests than I do with the main games. No item collecting, no amassing souls or crystals or shit, little emphasis on leveling up - the most fun I got from Portrait of Ruin is running around as Richter and Maria and beating Dracula. It was challenging and you felt like a badass when you negotiate your way around some of the harder bosses.

And yeah, I also would like to see stages in a 2D Castlevania game again. The Metroid-style has been perfected so let's see what else can be done with the series.

Also, Curse of Darkness was better than Lament of Innocence was better than Castlevania 64. At least they're getting better with the 3D Castlevanias...

Honestly, I disagree. I feell ike Castlevania 64 got a few things right, mostly in terms of the game's structure and pacing, though it suffered from shitty graphics, control and alot of undercooked features.

Lament of innocence had tighter core gameplay, but the level design sucked, hard, and nearly all lingering traces of platforming were removed.

Then you had Curse of Darkness, whose level design and graphics actually managed to suck harder than those of Lament. Plus the game was simplistic as all hell.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

Honestly, I disagree. I feell ike Castlevania 64 got a few things right, mostly in terms of the game's structure and pacing, though it suffered from shitty graphics, control and alot of undercooked features.

Lament of innocence had tighter core gameplay, but the level design sucked, hard, and nearly all lingering traces of platforming were removed.

Then you had Curse of Darkness, whose level design and graphics actually managed to suck harder than those of Lament. Plus the game was simplistic as all hell.

You talk about level design and I talk about gameplay. CoD has better hacking and slashing and aerial combat. Enemies are still too stupid but fighting groups is easier...though having your demon familiar out doesn't hurt, now that I think about it. I do agree that CoD has the worst, most straightforward level design (I'm look at YOU, Cordova Town!) but I still say Konami is improving as they go along.

I haven't played God of War but I imagine that'd be a good place to draw inspiration from.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Curse of Darkness bored me like no other game. I mean fuck, all your special abilities were shoved onto an NPC.

Elendil on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd love to see a combination of Castlevania 2 and SOTN.

Several locations (or one giant castle that connects to mines, an abandoned village, etc.) that are split up by an explorable overworld.

Castlevania: Ocarina of Time?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Did anyone read his key speech at GDC?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=14353

With the way he talks about 3D games you would think it was 1995.

He says that they went with the anime look for the most recent games because he was afraid the other art was too scary. What the hell? This is Castlevania, for Christ's sake.

I really hope that this Rondo port does well because I would really like to see a return to the old style of game play.

At the very least, tone down the RPG elements and try to come up with some more interesting level design.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I miss the days when beating a game really felt like, well, beating a game--overcoming something that seemed never to waver in its aspirations to annihilate you with both death and shame. Now they just work under the assumption that you're going to win regardless of anything.

I beat the original Castlevania for the first time over the weekend, and I've probably never swore at a game so much. Also, not since childhood has a game made me have a blubbering breakdown, when for the second time I get the Reaper down to 1 hit point and then I get killed.

But, not many games have had me jumping and pointing at the screen, sincerely saying, "Yeah! Take THAT, you sonofaBITCH!"

I also beat Trauma Center DS over the weekend. It was a good day.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I can't beat the original Castlevania without a Game Genie...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lurker wrote: »
    He says that they went with the anime look for the most recent games because he was afraid the other art was too scary. What the hell? This is Castlevania, for Christ's sake.
    Yea, I was pretty dissapointed with the whole art thing. I have a SotN wallpaper right now, gorgeous.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unfortunately Ayame Kojima's work doesn't sell games in the US. Aria of Sorrow didn't even remotely sell as much as they expected on the GBA and from what Konami has said it was because of the cover.

They still had her do the artwork for Curse of Darkness, but it seems like all the completely new games will have really uninspired anime artwork. :(

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Also, not since childhood has a game made me have a blubbering breakdown, when for the second time I get the Reaper down to 1 hit point and then I get killed.

Holy Water. Pin the bastard in place at the very beginning of the fight and its over.

Incidentally, that's true of basically all the bosses.

Also, I'm surprised at the number of people here who seem tired of the Metroidvanias. It seems like every time we have one of these threads the general public tends not to err in favor of more linearity.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, changing the voice acting is a crime. I really hope they leave in the special music track, at least.

I still really want this game, but this is depressing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Also, not since childhood has a game made me have a blubbering breakdown, when for the second time I get the Reaper down to 1 hit point and then I get killed.

Holy Water. Pin the bastard in place at the very beginning of the fight and its over.

Incidentally, that's true of basically all the bosses.

Also, I'm surprised at the number of people here who seem tired of the Metroidvanias. It seems like every time we have one of these threads the general public tends not to err in favor of more linearity.

Yeah, that's what I did. The challenge is 1) keeping the holy water from the very beginning of the level, and 2) not getting your ass kicked in the Corridor of Fucking Hell right before him. I spammed that holy water so hard. (I feel no shame.)

As for Metroidvanias, I actually prefer linear games in general. I like being led through well-designed levels, participating in the exact experience that the developer wished me to experience. I can sort of understand why a lot of people prefer Exploration games, but it's not my preference. Probably stems from me hating the idea of missing something.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png