As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Speaking of not really having a direction for something, here's Black Mesa Xen!

I think it looks p bad tbh but I'm glad they're doin' something on it

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Some of the stalactites look pasted in, which they probably were, and appear to just be sticking through the rock ceiling, but otherwise, that demo shot in and of itself doesn't look too bad to me.

I confess it's been a while since I've played Xen, but isn't at least some of it in, y'know...space?

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm having a hard time imagining why the Black Mesa survey team would set up jumping puzzles and platforms painted with zoomy "jump here" stripes.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    ...yeah, ok.

• Options
    I wonder if they just straight up bought the Dear Esther assets

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/gabe-newell-reddit-ama

Gabe Newell is doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow.

Anyone want to take bets on the number of times he's asked about Half-Life 3.

• Options

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    He can be asked a million times, I'll be eagerly awaiting any hint of a word in response that isn't just 'we're totes working on stuff, can't say more'.

*sigh*

Yes, much like GRRM, he and Valve are not my bitch.

But seriously... :-(

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    All of the rumors I've heard are that they're "working on it" but don't really have a definitive vision for what they want it to be so they're just going in circles.

Honestly I don't think fans would still be in as much of a fervor as they are if it wasn't for the fucking emotional gutpunch that was the ending for Episode 2.

• Options
    All of the rumors I've heard are that they're "working on it" but don't really have a definitive vision for what they want it to be so they're just going in circles.

Honestly I don't think fans would still be in as much of a fervor as they are if it wasn't for the fucking emotional gutpunch that was the ending for Episode 2.

I mean, it's my favorite franchise of all time; even without a cliffhanger I'd be wanting a new game.

But yeah, that's pretty much what I've been speculating has been going on for awhile now. Valve has no real problems with money or and no shareholders they need to please, so they don't have any motivation to put out a "good enough" sequel. Valve wants HL3 to be a mindblowing game, and won't stop anywhere short of that. The problem seems to be that they just can't decide on a path to achieving that.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    And I don't blame them. As bad as I want more, Half Life made them.

When HL1 came out I bought it for a friends bday after reading all the amazing reviews. He got bored at the opening tram ride and gave it back. He asked for it back after CS realeased but no way, it was my favorite ever game by that point.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    AMA tl;dr: they're interesting in doing full-length vr games, there's a chance of a new IP in the HL universe, those two JJ movies are still coming, and a "yes" to "are you working on any full fledged single player games"

• Options
    New IP in the Half Life universe... hmmm...

Air combat simulator where you play as an F-16 pilot dogfighting alien flyers in the New Mexico desert surrounding the Black Mesa Research Facility immediately after the Resonance Cascade.

Survival Horror game set where you play a civilian during the fall of Ravenholm.

Stealth game where you play as an assistant to Dr. Breen in City 17 but are actually a spy working for the resistance, having to sneak vital data past Combine surveillance and soldiers.

Opposing Force 2 with Adrian Shepard/HARDPENIS fighting the Combine during the Seven Hour War.

SimAntLion, a game that is just SimAnt but with AntLions instead of Ants.

Valve if you use any of these PM me and I'll let you know where to send my check.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    You're a head crab stuck in a hostile world, just trying to get back to Xen.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bobbyrrrr wrote: »
    You're a head crab stuck in a hostile world, just trying to get back to Xen.

If you could possess people and abandon them when they get too injured, that'd be pretty cool.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I kinda wanna make that one

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    Absolutely.
    You can't open doors. The meat machine can.

Boss fight, get away from the crazy man in the orange suit.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Bobbyrrrr wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    You can't open doors. The meat machine can.

Boss fight, get away from the crazy man in the orange suit.

Sounds like something that would be the perfect project for the Octodad guys, frankly.

• Options
    This game is basically Messiah with a cooler context

• Options
    AvP 2 sorta did that in the beginning Alien levels, didn't it? You played as a Facehugger searching for a suitable human host to facefuck.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You could have troll moments like when you've finally worked your way up to possessing a heavily armed black-ops assassin, but then progress is blocked by a vent that you can only get into by ditching the body and going headcrab-commando.
    Then you hear someone in a hazard suit coming the other way, and have to hide or die instantly.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Using the players knowledge of the main series protagonist as an unstoppable machine of death and destruction is ingenious.

Spoken of in hushed whispers by those capable, feared not only for the mayhem that follows him, but for the fact he never speaks. Never more than a grunt of pain for those who might get the drop on him.

Forar on
  • Options
    Gordon Freeman/Headcrab dynamic like Alien/Ripley in Alien Isolation

• Options
    Or multiplayer, so you'd be playing against another person instead of AI.

Player A is a low ammo Gordon Freeman working his way through an area devoid of other enemies or health, player B is a headcrab that spawns in a random location. Player B has 5 "lives" that are basically respawns in random areas after death.

Headcrabs die easy but one of them could be lurking around literally anywhere waiting to ambush the hell out of the other player.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Anyone do yearly playthroughs of HL1 and/or 2. It's been so long since I've played through 2 and the episodes. I've been wanting too, but it might just make me want a 3 and we know how that goes.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Erik Wolpaw has left Valve.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-2-portal-writer-erik-wolpaw-has-left-valve/

Things are looking increasingly grim over there from my perspective.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I mean, what was the last story driven game they released. Maybe now he and Laidlaw can write a story or something.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I mean, what was the last story driven game they released.
    The point is the liklyhood of them ever doing so again drops everytime they lose another employee. Hence, grim.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    For all we know, the story could be done.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone do yearly playthroughs of HL1 and/or 2. It's been so long since I've played through 2 and the episodes. I've been wanting too, but it might just make me want a 3 and we know how that goes.

I definitely make an effort to get in an annual playthrough of the series. I finished up this year's run of Half-Life on ... January 29th. Ironically.

Some combination of familiarity, backlog, and life has kept me from making a lot of headway in HL2, which is slightly irritating. As of last Sunday, I'm partway through Ravenholm; averaging 2 chapters a week. Maybe I'll focus on it tomorrow...

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdo8VCAaV4

Happy April 1st!

The fan comic "A Place in the West" has released it's second episode for sale on Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/590860/

Also apparently some levels leaked out of somewhere, including one from the canceled Half-Life episode being made by Junction Point Studios (Not Episode 4, which was being made by Arkane Studios)
    episodic/maps/personal/gautam/styleguide_ravenholm_01.vmf

This map appears to be from the cancelled Half-Life 2 episode which was being developed by Junction Point Studios in late 2005. It takes place in a snow-themed version of Ravenholm which includes small puzzles, scripted sequences, and fights. This game is not related to Arkane Studios' cancelled Episode Four, also known as Return to Ravenholm, which would have also take place in the town.

It is implied that the player crashes into a warehouse in a gondola. He wakes up in a room with two unique characters named Duncan and Scooter. There is a train station and buildings nearby. A group of rebels and Combine Soldiers fight on the streets.

> Duncan (ravenholm_npc_mueller) and Scooter (ravenholm_npc_scooter) are unique entities. Duncan uses a generic Citizen model, while Scooter's model is unknown.
    > Some entities use JPS as their prefix in their names, which obviously stands for the studio's name. In addition to this, some objects have fields called magnet and magnetization, which are related to the Magnet Gun mentioned by Warren Spector in the interviews.
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/the-leaked-maps-of-the-half-life-2-episodes-part-1.257758/

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So Chet Faliszek has left Valve, making him the third of three prominent writers to leave the company over the past few years. (Laidlaw in January of 2016, Erik Wolpaw in February 2017)

I've joked about this before, but even I can't stay optimistic in the face of this news. Fuck.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-05-02-chet-faliszek-leaves-valve

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I know companies generally don't come out and say, "We don't do (X) anymore and never will again," but this field of silence Valve insists on while rather significant changes to their makeup take place is...disheartening on its own.

Not even just reducing the odds of ever more Half-Life or Portal, but reducing the odds of ANY games that are not competition based.

Curious where the Valve alumni will end up. They shan't be hurting for job offers I'm sure, but...if any end up in situations where they could be making new IP that would be something I would want to be made aware of.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Wolpaw was already working on psychonauts 2 do I imagine he'll just go to work at Doublefine full-time. Laidlaw flat out retired. Dunno where Faliszek is gonna wind up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    If it means those guys will start writing games again (even originals) then I am okay with them leaving. It's obvious that Valve just doesn't seem to care all that much about it anymore.

• Options
    There is compelling evidence that HLVR is being made at least!

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Clearly this just means that all of the writing for the next game in the series has already been finished, so now they just have to work on gameplay.

#HL3confirmed

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    For various reasons I've spent a while (with help) trying to emulate HL2's eye system (no eye spheres, just shader trickery) in UE4. Have p much succeeded now, so here is the gman, who we tested on. Rendered in UE4, with some basic subsurface scattering and tessellation, our eye shader and my iris texture (so these aren't his original irises). Fan art, I guess!

urKrMjA.png

• Options
    Old Steam forums are going down soon. Grab what you can while they're still up!

• Options
    Wait, like, they're going away permanently permanently? As in Bioware's "burn them to the ground and salt the Earth" approach?