As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Except for the ones that teleport you into the middle of space and cause to you fall to your doom.

I needed some health and ammo, dammit! Not a faster way to get killed.

But it does give you that.

In the form of a respawn.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Unless I quicksave right before using the gun so I don't lose progress if I get killed :D

EDIT: Heh, I found the old thread from when that Black Mesa trailer was first released. A couple of people were planning on not playing Episode 2 until Episode 3 was released.

Makes me wonder if they ever just gave up and played it. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Black Mesa has officially passed Steam Greenlight: Link

I doubt they'll get it onto Steam in time for Friday though, so I'll probably wind up downloading Black Mesa twice :D

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    LaCabra wrote: »
    "that plastic look" has nothing to do with what engine you're using

when I run the world they will teach this at school

It does though. Valve put a lot of R&D on their facial animation system.

Good animators help a lot, but good technology in the hands of good animators makes a world of difference.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Man, Half-Life: Source is way harder than regular Half-Life. I think it's because the AI reacts much faster than in HL1; they'll run notice you immediately even if their backs are turned and they'll even react as soon as a grenade hits the air. Still, I just finished Surface Tension and I'll be ready to finish up the last few chapters in time for Black Mesa on Friday. Just a little over 30 hours left guys!

For fun, I went and dug up some old trailers for Op4 and Blue Shift from back in the day. They're kinda shitty quality, but I think they were originally released in 320x240 so not much you can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZsWm-Ulk4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSyM34mx0A

Also, ignore the Half-Life 3 trailer in the sidebar; it's bullshit. (As you probably instantly figured out.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    You know what mod I thought was fun for HL? That one that added counter-strike guns to the game. I've never actually finished the original HL, which is quite odd since I'd put it in my top 5 games list, maybe top 3. I just always got to Xen and thought "Well, the fun part's over".

What I'd really like to see is a new Vampire Slayers mod. That game was a blast for HL1. The atmosphere on every map was fantastic, the music was good, and the concept was great with having to stake the vamps to kill them. I know a spiritual successor was made for Source but it never really caught on with me.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Xen is one of my favourite parts of the games. Screw all ya'll.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I didn't hate Xen, either. It was hard, sure, but whatever.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    You know what mod I thought was fun for HL? That one that added counter-strike guns to the game. I've never actually finished the original HL, which is quite odd since I'd put it in my top 5 games list, maybe top 3. I just always got to Xen and thought "Well, the fun part's over".

What I'd really like to see is a new Vampire Slayers mod. That game was a blast for HL1. The atmosphere on every map was fantastic, the music was good, and the concept was great with having to stake the vamps to kill them. I know a spiritual successor was made for Source but it never really caught on with me.

What was that CS mod called? I'd love to fire that up.

For the record, I loved Xen.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I can't look it up right now but I believe it was something along the lines of Counter-Life or something like that.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Coming back from another week of work away from home and BM will be greeting me.

I almost want to play through HL again before BM.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    There was a significant bump in the graphics between HL2 and Ep2,
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I can't look it up right now but I believe it was something along the lines of Counter-Life or something like that.

Yeah I remember that mod as well, it was awesome, and I think that's the right name too. IIRC they had it set up so that you got weapons / ammo from HEV and health stations.

subedii on
  • Options
    I was trying to figure out what the first part of your post had to do anything, but I'm guessing it was just a draft that didn't get cleared out :D

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    In case anyone is still in doubt, yes, the mod is Counter-Life.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I was trying to figure out what the first part of your post had to do anything, but I'm guessing it was just a draft that didn't get cleared out :D

Happens. All. The. Freaking. Time.

Usually I catch that in a quick edit.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is Xen just not included for release or are they never going to get it done?

• Options
    According to the developers, they're entirely redesigning Xen into "practically a new game" or something to that effect.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Not in initial release is what I heard.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that too.

Anywho, I finished my Half-Life: Source runthrough. Took me about a half hour longer than vanilla Half-Life 1.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I've been listening to the Black Mesa soundtrack before it releases in a few hours. It's pretty good!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I love their original Black Mesa theme, the one that appears a few times throughout. I wrote a MIDI of it way back when I first heard it cause I loved it so much.

That was in 2007, I guess. :O

Also going by the notations on the OST, looks like they're not even using their original version in the finished game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPOcdRDOzuk

Damn shame.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FathomFathom Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The music in the leaked gameplay video was awful, but their old stuff including the theme in that video is really good.

I'm worried about the atrocious voice acting in the gameplay video fucking up the entire experience if it's that bad all the way through.

Fathom on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm at work so can't listen to those, but is that the one that starts off with a sort of eerie piano then brings in some strings? Because that piece was fantastic.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's the one. There's a remix of it still in game, all super distorted and quiet. I believe the all strings version is still the end credits music too.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Okay, good. There were two other pieces that I grabbed from the site when they first put up music, one was also really good and I think another strings piece, while the other was a more uptempo electronic dealy. Need to see if I've still got those around.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The initial few tracks they put up years and years ago? (Blast Pit, ending credits, main theme, Surface Tension, and We've Got Hostiles, I believe.) They're on the soundtrack, albeit in somewhat altered composition as you might expect.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Then I shall seek out this track of sounds and give it a listen. Thanks!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Curious if this one is going to make it on Steam today via Greenlight, or if that's happening sometime down the road.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Curious if this one is going to make it on Steam today via Greenlight, or if that's happening sometime down the road.

I'm guessing it will be on Steam at a later date, but available on the Black Mesa site today.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Valve still actually has to approve anything that passes through Greenlight, so it may take a while still.

• Options
    Countdown timer just finished, "403 forbidden". Fart noise.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    403 Forbidden woo

this is everything Black Mesa was set up to be

edit: site is getting hammered. I suppose I should have expected this.

edit edit: http://release.blackmesasource.com/pages/download_manager.html

MrDelish on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    Well that was slightly anticlimactic. Yet not unsurprising.

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    How could anyone have seen this coming.

• Options
    Yep, website is getting slammed. http://release.blackmesasource.com/

• Options
    sugarcoated ersatz!

i'm going to bed

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Welcome to. Black Mesa. Research. Facility. The date. Is. Friday. September. 14th. The time. Is. Nine. Fifty-three. A. M. This train. Is. 404

• Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."