As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slightly odd translation help (Japanese/Chinese?)

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, on my walk home from tending bar tonight, I spot this mass in the middle of the street. Upon investigation, it looks like some sort of balloon made out of paper or canvas that's covered with Japanese/Chinese writing. I hauled it home with me and took some pictures just because I'm really curious as to what it says. There are some random markings on it. Such as what appears to be a Star of David, an infinity sign, a Scorpio symbol, a dollar symbol and a swastika. Can anyone let me know what the hell is up with this?

Under spoilers for potentially offensive swastika.
7765144632_93385390e0_c.jpg
7765144518_a580aed500_c.jpg

Esh on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I think this is Chinese.

• Options
    joov1234joov1234 Registered User new member
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    joov1234 wrote: »

I know that and I know that in the context it isn't being used as a Nazi symbol. I'm just being tactful in regards to other people viewing things at work and what not.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Technically if you are worried something may be NSFW for whatever reason, you should be linking it and not spoilering it so it isn't cached. Just saying.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    It's Chinese (on account of me not being able to read it at all, thus not Japanese).

I don't know if your computer can display Chinese characters, but if so, here they are
    耶稣基督
    猫财富

Google translate says they mean: Jesus Christ and "cat wealth" respectively.

• Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    Garroad is correct. It looks like someone was learning Chinese calligraphy and decided to write some random stuff.

sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I duno you guys. Looks an awful lot like a UFO to me.

I don't think it was an accident it was floating there as you were walking by.

They might be watching you

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    I duno you guys. Looks an awful lot like a UFO to me.

I don't think it was an accident it was floating there as you were walking by.

They might be watching you

Nazi Wealthy Jesus Cats...could be.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_lanterns

The translations are correct. Also, swastikas aren't always offensive. Cat Fortune might be referring to Maneki-neko

As far as I can tell, the person who made the device probably has basic understanding of spiritualism, writing as many 'good' symbols on a paper balloon and sending it heavenwards, hoping that it would result in a high chance wishes being answered.

Taking a spiritual gamble, if you will. (hohoho)

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights