As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wiicharger

RericReric Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Has anybody had a chance to try out the battery pack/recharger for wiimotes from Niko? I preordered it from Niko, but when i was out shopping the other day saw some in Circuit City so was wondering if anyone had picked it up and tried it out?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reric on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I haven't, but I can only imagine that they're great. I mean, it's just a NIMH charger in the form of a Wiimote dock.

Simple, brilliant, and elegant.

slash000 on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hrmm.

I don't know what to think of this. I bought no less than two packs of rechargeable AA's, pretty much specifically for the Wii. I still kinda want one of these though....D:

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I too bought a pack of AA's for use with the Wii, but since I just picked up a third controller, I am definitely looking at getting one of those chargers myself. I imagine they cant all be that different, as long as you get a battery that lasts a decently long time.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Hrmm.

I don't know what to think of this. I bought no less than two packs of rechargeable AA's, pretty much specifically for the Wii. I still kinda want one of these though....D:
    Well, it's not like those batteries won't be useful for a ton of other things if you buy this.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hrmm.

Well, it's not like those batteries won't be useful for a ton of other things if you buy this.
    Yea, I know a few people that use rechargables for a majority of their household stuffs.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hrmm.

Yea, I know a few people that use rechargables for a majority of their household stuffs.

Yes. I used my camera batteries for my wireless mouse. That is until I lost the USB receiver dongle today. AAAAAARRRRGH.

I'm getting these the second I can find them locally.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Buying something so specialized seems strange to me. Sure it'll probably make your wiimotes look cool but it's likely that you won't be able to use it for much else.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Buying something so specialized seems strange to me. Sure it'll probably make your wiimotes look cool but it's likely that you won't be able to use it for much else.

You mean besides recharging the remotes, right?

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only downside to the charging stations out there that I see is that the battery packs come the form of a paltry 1800 mAh rating.

But the upside of never having to pop your batteries out for recharging might just make up for it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You mean besides recharging the remotes, right?

Yep, of course. I should have been more clear on that. Let's say you wanna recharge batteries to use in another device while traveling. You'd bring your Nyko charger and wiimotes. If you were staying at a close friend or relative's home, it's not that much of a problem. At a hotel or some other place though, with the fact that the Wii is in fairly high demand you can see where I'm going with this. That's what I meant, should have been more clear.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If something like that was such an issue, I'd just get a separate set of rechargeable batteries and a charger. But having something specifically dedicated for the Wii remotes would be convenient.

Plus I haven't used rechargeable cell batteries since the early 1990s. :P

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    or spend your money on a 10 minute battery charger

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zero to full capacity, in ten minutes?

slash000 on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    IGN did a great review on it. I wanted to pick one up but I can't find one anywhere.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't trust those fast chargers.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MJ wrote: »
    IGN did a great review on it. I wanted to pick one up but I can't find one anywhere.

That's because it hasn't been released yet.

Lemmy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We don't take kindly to their types around these parts.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That and they only charge about 70% to 80%. Unacceptable.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We don't take kindly to their types around these parts.

Leeroy Jenkins reference in 2..1...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ... Leeroy Jenkins? What?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only downside to the charging stations out there that I see is that the battery packs come the form of a paltry 1800 mAh rating.

But the upside of never having to pop your batteries out for recharging might just make up for it.

Its not difficult to pop in a new set of charged batteries. I wish logitech made a version of the MX1000 mouse that used AAs. It really sucks when I forget to put the mouse on the charger. Sure it lasts a few days between charges, but I think it'd be so much more handy to just be able to pop in a set of freshly charged AAs than wait a few hours with no mouse when that happens.

Stregone on
  • Options
    IcenodeIcenode Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I can play for days on the Energizer rechargable batteries I use in my wiimotes. And I can use them in other things such as my TV remote as well. The docking station sounds neat, but I just don't see the functionality.

Icenode on
    The Daily Rant - Your source for Mad Man Ramblings about everyday life.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Icenode wrote: »
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I can play for days on the Energizer rechargable batteries I use in my wiimotes. And I can use them in other things such as my TV remote as well. The docking station sounds neat, but I just don't see the functionality.

Ditto. The 2500 mAh rated energizers are niiiiiiiiiiice.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The only rechargeable Wii kits I've seen are some other brand.

They make me really nervous.

And, it was wierd. There were sold in a 2 pack with a docking station, or as a 2 pack with a USB cable. I'm not really sure what the point of the USB cable was.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    See. This. Here.

It suggests the cable is for charging but I don't see where you plug them in.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    The only rechargeable Wii kits I've seen are some other brand.

They make me really nervous.

And, it was wierd. There were sold in a 2 pack with a docking station, or as a 2 pack with a USB cable. I'm not really sure what the point of the USB cable was.

Plugs into the Wii for recharging.

You were probably looking at this thing

thrustmaster-wii-gear-preview-20070227001616597-000.jpg

Which IGN previews here

EDIT: Guess not. That is strange, apo... it says you run the cable from the Wii remote to your Wii's USB port and it charges the battery pack inside the controller..... I really don't think I'd trust that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nope. Not that thing.

Boy Thrustmaster must be hard up for a buck. Not that it looks bad, but that sure isn't a Joystick for a super nerdy aircraft simulator which was all they made back in the day.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Looks like some kind of shoe shining stand.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Out of curiosity, I just took my Wii remote and plugged a USB cable into it.

While the plug does fit, it isn't particularly snug. I don't think that USB charging stuff would work.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I assume you tried a microUSB connection. The cable in that kit looks like a regular cable.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    See. This. Here.

The other end plugs into the hole to the left of the green LED.

Here is an eBay listing of a copy. At least I think it's a copy, it's from Hong Kong.

Lemmy on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    As much as I'd like to plug my Wiimote into something that says "Thrustmaster" on it, regular recharchables are great. You can get an Energizer recharger and like 4 batteries for pretty cheap, and use them on anything.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I assume you tried a microUSB connection. The cable in that kit looks like a regular cable.

I tried a regular cable... since that is what is shown in the picture.

I'll try the other two sizes right now though..

First up, the little Square kind....... nope, doesn't fit at all. Can't even get the plug to insert into the Wii remote.

Now for the tiny kind (which I assume is microUSB)..... Again, can't get the plug to insert... not without breaking the Wii remote, anyways. The center contact...thingy... is far too big for the tiny USB plug to accept.

The regular cable thus far is the best fit, though like I said it isn't snug... and doesn't actually plug all the way in.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lemmy wrote: »
    See. This. Here.

The other end plugs into the hole to the left of the green LED.

Here is an eBay listing of a copy. At least I think it's a copy, it's from Hong Kong.

That makes far more sense... I wonder if you can play while it is charging?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use non rechargable duracell because I've thus far been too cheap to buy any rechargables (and I had these kicking around the house). I've had it since xmas and only had to change the batteries once (and they're on full at the mo).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would think the USB would plug into the battery, and not the Wiimote itself.

I for one have been waiting for that Nyko thing to come out. I always put my Wiimote's on my couch-side table when I'm done with them anyway, so having them on an attractive stand would be nice, and then I don't ever have to worry about things running dry, since they would be charged fresh every day.

I do wonder about the quality and longevity of those batteries, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is brand of charging dock out there that actually pulls power from one of the Wii's USB Ports. So if you don't have the spare outlets you can use that. Plus they daisy chain together, so in theory you could charge four remotes off of one USB port's power. I've heard they take forever to charge though.

Jollus on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just bought a wall charger that came with 4AAs for like $20 during Boxing Week. One set in the Wiimote, one set in the charger. Never skip a beat.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just bought some recharchable Energizers, I haven't had enough time to test them fully yet but I hear they are good. Although they are the 1300 mAH ones.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When are these coming out, couldn't find anything other than Q1 on the series of tubes.

edit: Damn Q1 starts in july...

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha