As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mortal Kombat - IT HAS BEGUN!

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
Okay, so

Ready to feel old and decrepit, grasping your aching back in agony while you yell at kids to get off your lawn?

Mortal Kombat is 20 years old this month

With that knowledge in mind, I thought we could all take this chance to talk about the series as a whole, its ups and downs, our experiences with it, and still be in bed by 8:00, as old fogies like us are wont to do

In this thread we're going to talk about:

Toasty!

Toasty_mk3.JPG

Breaking the Bat before Bane made it too mainstream

gam_batmanbrokenarm_490.jpg

Friendship...Friendship, again?

Cage.jpg

Connor MacLeod, God of Thunder, of the Clan MacLeod

christopher-lambert-mortal-kombat.jpg

And maybe even some rad tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Let's mix things up and do this chronologically, shall we?

Mortal_Kombat_cover.JPG

Mortal Kombat
Released:
August 1992
Platforms: Arcade, literally everything else with a screen except for those old phones that only played games like Snake.

This was released on an absurd number of platforms, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that everyone here with fond memories of it experienced it in either the arcade, or at home on their Genesis or SNES. The SNES version, also known as the bitch version, didn't feature blood and had toned-down fatalities. Sega, streets ahead on the "cool" factor front, let you enter the code ABACABB to enable full fatalities and blood.

It was mad controversial at the time for its (then) realistic-looking portrayals of violence against digitized characters, and is basically the reason the ESRB and its rating system exists today. It is the first M-rated game.

I personally never thought much of the original MK outside of the "ooh wow" violence factor, and honestly don't think it holds up today. That's cool though, because less than a year later they released

Mortal_Kombat_II_arcade.jpg

Mortal Kombat II
Released:
June 1993
Platforms: Arcade, Super NES, Genesis, various collections on later consoles

Oh man. Conceited arcade flyer aside (pictured above), this game is a fucking gem. Many consider it to be the crown jewel of the series. This was my real entry point into the series, and was one of the biggest factors in my youth in getting me into video games as more than just a passive experience. As a child I went to this summer camp program at the YMCA, and three times a week (excessive, I know), they had a trip to the local roller skating rink. Roller skates are for girls though. Me and the boys were all playing Mortal Kombat II (and Street Fighter II but whatever go away). Many quarters were spent here. Not my quarters mind you, because I was like seven or eight years old. I just now thought about how expensive Mortal Kombat II was to my parents. Hmm.

Anyways, this game. It introduced five new characters, all of whom were totally boss (especially Kitana because Kitana rules). You got to play as Reptile this time around without fulfilling dumb requirements. And Shang Tsung! Shang Tsung was playable and you could turn into any of the characters! Even, rumor has it, Kintaro, for one of his fatalities!

Anyways, yeah, ask me how to do Kitana's fatalities because that shit is etched into my mind: her kiss of death is hold LK, FFDF, release LK near an opponent, and her fan decapitation is BL-BL-BL-BL-HK

Mortal_Kombat_3_cover.JPG

Mortal Kombat 3
Released:
April 15, 1995
Platforms: Arcade, SNES, Genesis, PC, PlayStation, various collections on later consoles

Some people are crazy about this game. A lot of my friends are, and prefer it to Mortal Kombat II. I think they're crazy, or maybe it's just that I'm really bad at the kombo system in MK3, or maybe it's a little bit of both. Anyways, I still had a fair amount of fun with this game (I had the PC version, oddly enough), and it took some pretty bold moves.

For starters, some of the more popular characters? Scorpion, Raiden, Johnny Cage? Gone. Kitana? Kitana was gone, saddening me eternally. Also it had Motaro. On second thought, fuck this game.

We can talk about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which basically fixed some fundamentally wrong things with MK3. It still has Motaro though.

Ultimate MK3 has Kitana in it, instantly making it a five-star game. It also has Scorpion in it, another MK essential. The Ultimate version also had more levels, including a desert level which has Cyrax stuck in the sand. You can have a Cyrax vs. Cyrax match while Cyrax watches. Cyrax is rad, so this counts for something.

Also, there was Mortal Kombat Trilogy? I never played this and heard bad things about it. Maybe someone else can do some filling in and opinion-giving on that front.

Mortal_Kombat_4_cover.jpg

Mortal Kombat 4
Released:
October 15, 1997
Platforms: Arcade, PC, SNES, Genesis (just kidding on those last two), PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast (as Mortal Kombat Gold)

So, talk about divisive. Mortal Kombat 4, the last arcade Mortal Kombat game, is, today, nearly universally hated-on. I actually dig it quite a bit, although more from a fictional perspective. A lot of new dudes in here, including Shinnok, Quan Chi and Fujin from

Wait, fuck, back it up:

Mortal_Kombat_Mythologies.jpg

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Released:
October 1, 1997
Platforms: PlayStation, Nintendo 64

This game is a prequel to Mortal Kombat 4. It is bad and the people that made it should feel bad. The most saddening part is the title of the game - it was clear that they thought Sub-Zero would be a runaway success and perhaps give way for more Mortal Kombat Mythologies games.

Anyways, it introduces Shinnok, Quan Chi and Fujin, who later in appeared in Mortal Kombat 4. So back to Mortal Kombat 4.

A lot of new dudes in here, including Shinnok, Quan Chi and Fujin from MK Mythologies. Another numbered MK meant another big roster change. The MK4 cast I feel is unfairly attacked for being bland, even though it has Tanya, who rocks socks, and Reiko, whose throwing-star fatality is just so fucking cool without even trying that it makes my panties super-moist

It also introduced a 3D aspect (sort of, you could only sidestep) and weapons, which were pretty much universally hated. The characters were all 3D models for the first time ever, and all characters had proper ending cutscenes. These were great. If you haven't seen this yet, do yourself a favor and watch it like five times in a row:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvfP5BQxaw

Mortal_Kombat_Special_Forces.jpg

Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
Released:
July 30, 2000
Platform: PlayStation

Remember Sub-Zero? How it failed? They kinda tried it again! This time, though, they wisely strayed from the whole "it plays just like a fighting game but with terrible platforming!" deal.

I'm not entirely sure this game actually exists, and wasn't just created by gaming publications to give them something to shit all over. I've never seen a copy of this game in person, despite looking everywhere I find old PS1 games. If I find it, I will buy it, I will play it, and then I can die happy, unhappy.

MKDAcover.jpg

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Released:
November 16, 2002
Platforms: PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube

Here it is! The renaissance. The game that made MK relevant again. It wasn't the deepest thing around (VF4 released the same year), but MK never was, nor did it need to be. This game was just a sheer joy to play, though. While it still never quite embraced 3D as other fighters did, it wasn't the afterthought here that it was in MK4. It also brought back the concept of weapons, but this time they were simply a style that you switched to, rather than an obnoxious button code you had to input every time.

I know this series has its detractors as well. Some find the style-switching system to be a hassle. Some just aren't a fan of "dial-a-combo" inputs (I totally am). Others just plain didn't enjoy Cooking with Scorpion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacOFyLI0z0

Mortal_Kombat_-_Deception_Coverart.png

Mortal Kombat: Deception
Released:
October 4, 2004
Platforms: PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube

This may very well still be my favorite MK title. I'm not sure.

It builds on the foundations of the same systems laid out by Deadly Alliance, but it also had a really cool story mode called Konquest, named after the Emmy Award-winning television show of the same name. In it, you played as a youngster named Shujinko, travelling through all the different realms of the MK universe while trying to collect six relics, to give to the Elder Gods for some reason? It's basically a reason to dick around and punch people in the MK universe while unlocking shit for exhibition use, and it is seriously a lot of fun for someone into the fiction. I thought at the time that clearly a lot of other fighting games were going to borrow this style and try to make their own little adventure-type games set in their universes, but nope. Everyone else remained shitty and boring, and Deception's story mode remained unmatched until the MK reboot hit seven years later.

Deception has Baraka and Deadly Alliance does not, making it the better game.

PS2MKSM.JPG

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Released:
September 15, 2005
Platforms: PlayStation 2, Xbox (sorry GameCube owners, you didn't get this rad as fuck game)

Shaolin Monks! This is what games like Sub-Zero and Special Forces should have been. Great fun with a single-player, and greater fun for two. This game is probably straight-up the best 3D brawler I've ever played, certainly the best co-op one, and as an added bonus they even let you do fatalities by stunning enemies and doing input commands. It uses Mortal Kombat II as its period and setting, because they knew what was up.

Bill Gates hates this game and, as a result, it is not backward compatible on the 360. So if you have a PS2 or Xbox and you haven't had the pleasure, you need to seek out a copy of this game ASAP.

MKAPS2.jpg

Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Released:
October 11, 2006
Platforms: PlayStation 2, Xbox, Wii

This game is shit, what the hell

I don't even really wanna talk about this one that much. It got me so excited pre-release because it had every existing MK character up to that point in it

They made room on the disc for all these dudes by getting rid of signature fatalities. They had a "create-your-own" fatality mode, which is shitty and dumb just like every other "create-your-own blank" mode here that was all the rage at the time thanks to games like Tony Hawk. They also tried doing a cool story mode again, but it wasn't fun.

It had Stryker in riot gear, though. Everyone laughed but I thought it was pretty neat. Also, if you had a Wii, you could do moves by using waggle, which is absolutely the first thing you want in a fighting game.

Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe_Coverart.png

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Released:
November 16, 2008
Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

After the double-dose of Armageddon and DC Universe, I was really starting to fear for the franchise. DC Universe wasn't out and out bad, it was simply lacking content. The fighting systems in place were pretty fun, but it lacked the gory fatalities (for obvious reasons), and was really skim on the modes. The story mode's presentation is pretty neat, and laid a bit of groundwork for the reboot, but that's honestly the most positive thing I can say about the game. What worked for Marvel and Capcom just didn't seem to mesh here.

It did, however, sell pretty well, and I know the game has a few fans 'round these parts. I've always thought maybe I should buy it on the dirt-cheap and give it another go-round.

Mortal_Kombat_PS3_Boxart.jpg

Mortal Kombat
Released:
April 19, 2011
Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Vita

If this one isn't my favorite, it's tied with Deception

So yeah, this game. I bought it when it came out, loved it, as did many of you. It did well in sales and reviewers were loved it, and everyone lived happily ever after.

I recently purchased it again, this time on the 360, as GameStop had a sale on the Komplete Edition going for $20. Anyways, except for all the online snafus (and there were plenty), this game did everything absolutely right. It includes essentially every major character from the first three MK games, and retells a slightly altered version of the story that ran through the original trilogy. It was an awe-inspiring sense of nostalgia to see stages and settings from the first two games re-done with today's technology. The story mode is such a treat because it essentially plays like a movie with a kick-ass fighting game wedged into all the action bits. The game loads fights as cutscenes play it, so the action is never interrupted. On top of that, it's hilarious. Jax decides to brutally beat the shit out of Johnny Cage because he expresses an intent to flirt with Sonya Blade! Hilarious. Again, just as with Deception, this is a mode I really want other fighting games to take example of. Apparently Persona 4 Arena does this? Maybe? I'm not up on Japanime stuff.

Aside from the very lengthy story mode, it also includes a challenge tower with 300 unique challenges, and the traditional arcade mode, with an ending for every character (and the game has plenty). It also offers Rain, Kenshi, Skarlet (she's new) and Freddy Kreuger (for some reason?) as DLC characters, or they're include with the Komplete Edition if you grab that.

Aside from these games, they also made a Mortal Kombat movie, which is still the best video game movie to date, and they made a sequel as well, but they replaced Christopher Lambert with Dexter's father, and it's pretty shitty and features the worst but also best line in cinematic history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

There was a TV show that I thought was pretty cool, but I'm the only one. There was an animated series, which I sadly never saw. There were comic books! I had some of these! They were kinda neat! There was even a CCG, which to my great shame I had a ton of those as well, just because I thought they were cool. I didn't really have any interest in playing a CCG.

So, yeah. I just spent like 80 minutes typing up a bunch of shit about Mortal Kombat because holy shit I love Mortal Kombat, and if you dudes do too we should reflect on it.

Also, why is Mortal Kombat II the only one with a roman numeral?

UnbreakableVow on
LaPuzzaHargaad of OmnarAbsoluteZeroKristmas KthulhuPanda4You

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Huh. I actually turn 30 this month. So yeah, I was a little too young for the first Mortal Kombat. Didn't stop me playing it though.

Also, the Street Fighter movie had Raul Julia so that means it's better.

I'd almost want to argue the Dead or Alive movie is better too, except a few actors actually seem to take the whole thing seriously, thereby making the movie worse.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm actually watching the first MK movie right now

Komplete Edition comes with a download code for it on the 360

In standard def, the cheap fucks

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I was the coolest kid in school with my bitchin Sub-Zero t-shirt.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    nice thread!

I skipped a whole bunch in the middle but I really loved the newest MK and you made me want to play shaolin monks pretty badly.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Because of Street Fighter II most likely.

I don't think Special Forces was ever released because John Tobias left Midway during its development (the other half of the Noob Saibot team). What's he up to these days anyway?

To fill in some of your gaps, Trillogy was kind of a home console superport of 3 (but not Ultimate) with extra characters and a super meter (called Agression meter) had Johnny Cage, and I think both Sub Zeroes and Smokes. Pretty sure it was an N64 (where I played it) and PS1 release.

Also, loved Deadly Alliance and what the series itself has done with fighting games, namely giving it a story and a way to present it. It makes a good showcase because in 9/Reboot, while you don't get to play AS everyone, you do fight everyone so you can get an idea their abilities. Pissed me off to no end how Soul Caliber 5 apes this and seriously drops the ball in doing so.

Edit: I will say that I thank the SNES version of MK1 for giving us a more thematically appropriate Sub Zero fatality.

Speaking of, I actually got to see Shao Khan's in the latest game. He basically plunges his fingers into your chest then rips you in half. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but the dude pulls you open like a bag of chips. Fuckin Brutal.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I've played every one of those games. Special Forces and Mythologies: Sub-Zero remain the worst entries in... well, in gaming history, honestly.

I have some serious issues with the 2011 reboot - in part down to the character design, but mostly to do with the story, which includes a brilliantly-realized sequence in which Johnny Quest Cage beats the shit out of a woman for daring to suggest she can look after herself - however it's probably the most enjoyable, entertaining entry in the series since Deception. Or MK II, if we want to go back a ways.

Does anybody else have MK Arcade Kollection on the 360? Or is it just me?

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I've played every one of those games. Special Forces and Mythologies: Sub-Zero remain the worst entries in... well, in gaming history, honestly.

I have some serious issues with the 2011 reboot - in part down to the character design, but mostly to do with the story, which includes a brilliantly-realized sequence in which Johnny Quest Cage beats the shit out of a woman for daring to suggest she can look after herself - however it's probably the most enjoyable, entertaining entry in the series since Deception. Or MK II, if we want to go back a ways.

hahaha holy shit, you reminded me that this is actually a thing that occurs in the story

oh man

mortal kombat :bz

interrobang on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I don't think Special Forces was ever released because John Tobias left Midway during its development (the other half of the Noob Saibot team).

It was released, at least in Europe - I remember seeing it on the shelves of the EB in Luton and damn near pissing my pants in excitement. I later played it and... yeah, it's shit.

My favorite bit from the story mode in MK is seeing Cyrax and Sektor pre-cyborg

Pretty awesome

From I remember hearing it was literally unfinished. Like after JT left they decided "fuck it, print what we got and ship it."

newSig.jpg

hahaha holy shit, you reminded me that this is actually a thing that occurs in the story

oh man

The Mortal Kombat devteam doesn't really like women all that much beyond "things you can fuck". Most of the male characters are dressed head-to-toe in armour, masks, wrappings, you name it. All of the women in this game, all of them, are damn near naked. I won't lie, it pisses me off.

Nocren wrote: »
    From I remember hearing it was literally unfinished. Like after JT left they decided "fuck it, print what we got and ship it."

I didn't get far enough into the game to discover whether or not this was the case. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who completed it. Even the most hardcore MK fan knows better than to touch Special Forces.

oh man

The Mortal Kombat devteam doesn't really like women all that much beyond "things you can fuck". Most of the male characters are dressed head-to-toe in armour, masks, wrappings, you name it. All of the women in this game, all of them, are damn near naked. I won't lie, it pisses me off.

Wierdly enough, the only one I'm bothered by is Meleena because she flaunts it. All the other women don't really draw attention to it do I don't really care/notice. But I do wish they had more realistic proportions. The outfits... Given what some of the guys are wearing (somewhere between pro wrestling and comic book) what the women wear isn't all that out of place.

newSig.jpg
    I think Mileena is supposed to make you feel bad and embarrassed by looking at an ugly demon thing in a sexual manner. Is that giving them too much credit?

Also Linden Ashby as Johnny Cage in the movie was such perfect casting. Even if he is an idiot. He swears that Kitana "went this way" even as he spreads apart solid walls of cobweb to advance further down the hall

Hargaad of Omnar
    No mention of the Web series Vow? I love that version of Cage as a former Power Ranger trying to get back into show business.
    I also love how he loses his shit against those producers for backstabbing him.

newSig.jpg
    I actually never saw it beyond the initial short film! I'll add it to the OP later on.

• DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

oh man

While this is mostly true for the majority of the female cast (and I agree with you) there are exceptions to the rule. Sonya for example, is probably the most... Conservatively-dressed female roster regular (kinda offset by the fact that she shares the same back-breaking breasts the rest of the women do). Li Mei's primary outfit, Ashrah, Frost's primary outfit in Deadly Alliance... I mean there are examples out there but they are in the overwhelming minority.

I remember once I got into an argument on the official MK forums about the depiction of women in these games and the majority of people on there had the attitude of "No man fuck respecting women, I'm here for titties and ass. It's a fantasy game so women can dress like Victoria Secret models and there's nothing wrong with that at all!" Never again.

Anyway my favourite is probably either the latest MK or MK2. MK2 was the kinda game that, while growing up, I'd be up at 6am-ish on weekends to play alongside my brother, going for about 30 rounds before breakfast. Have a soft spot for the MK3 "series" as well because they gave us Ketch- Sektor, and Deadly Alliance because Mavado will fuck your shit up.

Dunxco on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    There was an animated series, which I sadly never saw.

Luke Perry is the only true Sub-Zero.

Anyway, I first got into Mortal Kombat when II was just hitting arcades. I was visiting some family in California, and good luck getting near II. We did check out the first at a pizza place there, though, and then rented the Super NES one during the visit. No blood, but that wasn't a huge draw for me, just a perk.

I like MK and MK4 because I've actually been able to beat those games. That's why I don't play a lot of MK; the bosses tend to be extremely cheap, even on Easy. Which is too bad, because I do-- or did, anyway-- tend to enjoy the characters and story, for better or for worse.

Haven't played the latest one, as I have a 360, and fighters generally don't work well there without a special controller, as well as the whole "cheap boss" thing (or so I've been told).

Plus, not only was AOL Time Warner airing Mortal Kombat after WCW Monday Nitro on TNT, but they were also trying to recreate it during WCW as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3C0fflMxQ

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Hargaad of Omnar
  • iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    Haven't played the latest one, as I have a 360, and fighters generally don't work well there without a special controller, as well as the whole "cheap boss" thing (or so I've been told).

The new one works well with the pad I felt. Having said that the final boss in story mode is cheap as fuuuuck. Oh yeah you have to fight him twice too! :(

I actually never saw it beyond the initial short film! I'll add it to the OP later on.

Yeah, some are inter-connected, (Kano is supplying the tech to the Lin-Kuei for their cyber ninjas), but most just focus on one or two characters at a time.

newSig.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I recently re-bought MK as well - I had it on the 360 before getting rid of the system, so the $20 Komplete edition deal was hard to pass up. Everything comes unlocked which was great because I really wasn't looking forward to playing the story for the 3rd time (my 360 version save game corrupted on me, forcing me to do it twice on there). Fun story - we were out shopping as a family, me, my wife and my 7 year old son and as I debated picking it up my wife said "go ahead, grab it, it's a game for the whole family".

Yup, she declared MK is officially a family game now (we have a strict babality only rule when the kid plays).

I do wish they would have kept the kreate a fighter thing - even as limited as it was it was fun to play around with. I guess I'll have to pick up Soul Calibur for that fix now.

• ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    I remember my parent's bought me MK2 for one of my birthdays and it cost $80. Also 1993 seems pretty early to me, did it come out on the consoles later? Because if they bought it for me as soon as it came out, I would have been only 6 or 7. I had to be at least 7 when I got it because I remember it being after I had moved, but I was more likely 8 or 9. They also gave me a short talk about remembering that none of it was real and I couldn't actually kick and punch my brothers (we did anyway but not because of Mortal Kombat). I was never very good at it, but I played the hell out of it. I remember having the computer open so we could look up all of the fatalities, but they are hard to do as a kid so I guess the game enforced its own age limit.

I could be remembering the game wrong and maybe thinking of MK3, but I clearly remember playing as Kitana pretty much constantly. I remember Trilogy being one of my favorites. I thought it was just an updated version of 2 but with a crap ton more characters, but I'm probably remembering that incorrectly too.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I was looking for a picture of MK2 running in my cabinet, but I can't find one online. Needless to say, Mortal Kombat is and always will be one of my favorite gaming franchises of all time. I have an MK1 board, an MK2 Challenger edition board, a MK3 board with the UMK3 upgrade kit already installed, and an MK4 board. The entire arcade series.

EDIT: I also have the entire original trilogy multiple times over. There might be a few editions I'm missing, but I have pretty much every port:

MK1 - genesis
    MK1 - Gameboy
    MK1 - game gear
    MK1 - Sega Master System
    MK1 - SNES
    MK1 - Sega CD
    MK1 - PC
    MK2 - Genesis
    MK2 - Gameboy
    MK2 - Game Gear
    MK2 - Sega Master System
    MK2 - SNES
    MK2 - PC
    MK2 - 32X
    MK3 - Genesis
    MK3 - Gameboy
    MK3 - Sega Master System
    MK3 - SNES
    MK3 - PC
    UMK3 - Sega Saturn
    UMK3 - Genesis
    UMK3 - SNES
    MK Trilogy - Sega Saturn
    MK Trilogy - N64
    MK Trilogy - PSX

off the top of my head, the only port I'm missing is the PSX port of MK3.

TheSonicRetard on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MK2 on sega genesis was my first fighting game. I also had Street Fighter 2 turbo but Mortal Kombat trumped it.

MK2 on sega genesis was my first fighting game. I also had Street Fighter 2 turbo but Mortal Kombat trumped it.

Awful, awful port. MK2 on the Genesis was the first game I ever preordered, and it was such a huge disappointment. They cut so, so much stuff out of the game. It looked terrible. It technically didn't sound terrible, but only because all speech except for one shao kahn sample and "Toasty!" were removed from the game. There were only 2 hurt noises, a generic "UGH!" noise for a man and a woman. Throw someone? UGH! Punch someone? UGH. Uppercut someone? UGH. The arcade version has a bunch of different sound effects.

"GET OVER HERE" - gone. Lui Kang's "WOO"s while fighting - gone. Raiden's gibberish - gone. No "friendship." No "Fatality." No "Flawless victory." No goro's lair. No Pong Kombat. Almost every background was missing something, like the floating monks in the temple.

at least it played like MK2. But damn it was a bad port. That my neighbor had the SNES version made the flaws all more apparent. Later, when I got my 32X, the genesis finally saw a good port of MK2 (which actually wound up being the best MK2 port period), but that was years after MK2 had been big, and, in fact, after MK3 had already come out.

edited August 2012
    I will say this about the Genesis port, though - it had a -ality that was exclusive to the Genesis port of MK2 that wasn't seen in any other MK game or port of MK2:

504836-fergality_large.jpg

Fergus McGovern was the CEO of Probe, the company that handled the Genesis ports of MK1 and MK2.

So is this the topic to talk about awesome trivia and history? I have the filming for MK1 that was put up on youtube before it was taken down still downloaded on my HDD. I could try and make some gifs or something. I assume everybody knows that MK was originally a bloodsport tie-in, correct? Johnny Cage was originally Jean Claud Van Dam, hence his nut-punch move.
    Shaggy wrote: »
    I remember my parent's bought me MK2 for one of my birthdays and it cost $80. Also 1993 seems pretty early to me, did it come out on the consoles later? Because if they bought it for me as soon as it came out, I would have been only 6 or 7. I had to be at least 7 when I got it because I remember it being after I had moved, but I was more likely 8 or 9. They also gave me a short talk about remembering that none of it was real and I couldn't actually kick and punch my brothers (we did anyway but not because of Mortal Kombat). I was never very good at it, but I played the hell out of it. I remember having the computer open so we could look up all of the fatalities, but they are hard to do as a kid so I guess the game enforced its own age limit.

I could be remembering the game wrong and maybe thinking of MK3, but I clearly remember playing as Kitana pretty much constantly. I remember Trilogy being one of my favorites. I thought it was just an updated version of 2 but with a crap ton more characters, but I'm probably remembering that incorrectly too.

MK2 was rereleased on the Saturn and PSX in about... 1995? 1996? Sometime very late. However, you could have very well been playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, as Kitana wasn't in Vanilla MK3 but was added to UMK3. That you described MK Trilogy as an updated version of MK2 makes me suspect this is the case, because MK Trilogy is built on top of the MK3 engine (which, of course, UMK3 ran on).

TheSonicRetard on
    I've owned both the MK2 ports on the Genesis and SNES and while I completely agree that the sound and graphics on the SNES were far and away better, I still felt the Genesis game played better. It was slightly faster and I was able to pull off combos better.

I was always disappointed in MK3 overall. The home parts aside, I just never liked the character selection (no Kitana, hated maskless SubZero, new Liu Kang actor, cyberninjas). I did however love Sindel and the stage with the candles in the foreground always blew me away. The dial a combos and loop where you got stuck in the same 3 stages over and over again were pretty frustrating though.

I know this is far from a popular opinion, but I never really have liked the cyberninjas. Even in the current games I'm just not a fan of the rockets and exploding teleports, etc - I do like the green cyber net attack that can trap opponents though.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Some of you people know too much about old games.

I remember going to the pizza joint and putting quarters in the first one. Then playing it on my genesis later. Scorpion for life.

edited August 2012
    Just like MK1, MK2 plays better on the Genesis. But while MK1 on the Genesis was more faithful due to blood, there was no discrepency beween the content of the 2 Mk2 ports to offset the poor audio and graphics of the Genesis version. Most of the problems I describe in MK2 were also in the Genesis version of Mk1.

the Genesis games always played better. The Genesis was also capable of much better - those audo clips weren't eliminated because of hardware issues, but because they wanted the game to be as small (and cheap) as possible. I also don't like MK3 very much (and contrary to your post, the cyberninjas were never very popular, although I loved their story-arc and the way they played into the Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Noob Saibot saga), but the Genesis version of MK3 was stellar. It's much closer to what the Genesis is capable of, and the gap between it and the SNES version (in terms of presentation) is very, very tiny compared to the gap between the ports of MK2. Not surprisingly, the probe team that handled the Genesis ports of MK1 and MK2 didn't handle MK3. rather, sculptured software, who handled the SNES ports of MK1 and MK2, handled the Genesis port of MK3. hence the inclusion of every single voice clip from the arcade game.

The Sega add-on ports of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 were great though. Both the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat 1 and the 32X version of Mortal Kombat 2 are by far the supreme home ports (not counting emulation). The Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat 1 is outstanding. Graphically, at first glance, it looks identical to the Genesis version. But it's not - the game has twice as many frames of animation as the genesis and SNES version, including the correct stances for Sub-Zero and Scorpion (the other versions had them both using Scorpion's stance as a palette swap to save space). Also, many parts of the background were redrawn to reflect the non-censored rating of the Sega CD version, the most obvious example being the bottom of the pit:

home version:
    mk1thepit1gen.jpg

arcade/sega cd version:
    Mortal_Kombat-431.jpg

The above is taken from the arcade version, but it's identical in the Sega CD version, complete with developer's heads on spikes. Other smaller additions were also welcome - the crowd in the arena cheers along with your fight and moves, shang tsung's head moves to watch you fight in the throne room and he claps when the match is over, etc. The music is arcade perfect, of course, and every sound effect from the arcade game is included. A great port which also is the only place to feature the extended commercial/music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQZ_5oeDOA

the 32X port of MK2 is similarly impressive. It's a 32 Mb cart as opposed to the 18 Mb Genesis version, so all the missing speech from the Genesis version is included. The Genesis draws the backgrounds on the 32X port, while the 32X handles the characters, portraits, life bars, text, etc. Those assets were taken directly from captures of the arcade game, so they look miles better. The 32X version was also the original version (barring the PC port) to include the actual introduction to the game:

poundsdwayne47-1990452.jpg

Because the entire Genesis was devoted to backgrounds, they were no longer limited to a master palette which also had to support shades and colors that would be used for the characters themselves, and they could go beyond the typical 16-color limit for a single palette by using genesis sprites intelligently to make up parts of the background. Compare the Genesis version to the 32X version:

92006-mortal-kombat-ii-genesis-screenshot-aerial-assaults.gif
    Genesis

mortal_kombat_ii.gif
    32X

the 32X version also had character bios screens that were missing from the Genesis version, and they looked markedly bigger and better than the SNES version:

UFkWt.png
    SNES

Vjdr5.png
    32X

The 32X port of MK2 actually winds up being the perfect example of how the 32X can improve a Genesis title immensely. But, by the time it was released, nobody gave half a shit about MK2 anymore, and it didn't exactly turn heads. Still, it stands up there with the Sega CD port of MK1 as games which used the extra abilities of these sega add-ons to their fullest abilities, and wind up being much, much better than their Genesis brothers.

TheSonicRetard on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I think Mileena is supposed to make you feel bad and embarrassed by looking at an ugly demon thing in a sexual manner. Is that giving them too much credit?

I don't think you're supposed to be embarrassed. Disturbed, maybe. Here's this (yet another) underdressed woman undulating in an obviously sexual manner and then the mask comes off and she's this hideous, insane creature with shark teeth. It's vaguely horror-ish, I think. A vaguely disconcertning juxtaposition, anyway.

Or, you know, maybe the devs just thought it'd be funny to make Mileena the most sexed-up woman.

It surprises me we've never got a re-release of MKTrilogy given how many people loved it. It was a bit of a glitch fest but it would definitely make a fun PSOne classic release. Armageddon was kind of the 3d version of it - but I would think a proper MKT release would sell a few copies on the 3DS or PSN.

On the new MK front though - I understand they were trying to kind of refresh/reload but it's too bad they could only give us one new MK character in the game and that came as DLC (Skarlet). As much as people complain when their favorites are missing it just seemed like they could have added someone else new to the mix. The prize for beating the challenge tower was kind of weak too.

The game is brilliant - you just can't help but want that little bit extra. I think it comes from being spoiled in Deception where there was so much hidden content with time specific events, incredibly tricky things to find, and in the newest game it kind of puts all its secrets right out to see.

Also, if I could - I see many places saying that the gameboy and game gear versions of MK1 and Mk2 are basically identical whenever they choose to do a retrospective or retro-review of the series. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say that the gameboy version is "the same as the game gear version, only in black and white." That seriously pisses me off, it's a pet peeve. The two games are wildly different - much more different than the difference between the genesis and SNES ports.

To begin with, it shouldn't be called the game gear port - it's not built specifically for the Game Gear. the more accurate term is the Sega 8-bit port, because it was built primarily for the Sega Master System. It's an excellent port for the hardware, featuring much bigger sprites than either the SNES or genesis version. Aside from the extremely slow gameplay, it remains remarkably playable today. All the moves are done just like their done in the big boy versions, just with slightly altered timing. I remember you could abuse the the timing method for the 8-bit port to do an "instantaneous" freeze with sub-zero. The game only looked backwards at the last buttons pressed, not the amount of time between button presses. So you could duck, then walk forward and hold the button to walk right up to your opponent, then press punch and freeze them in an instant. It used to piss my friends off because it's hard to see coming. The fatalities are all the same, although the censored ones (the ones when you DON'T put in the blood code) are pretty lame - much lamer than the SNES censored fatalities at least. I'd say this version of Mk1 is probably my 3rd favorite - below the Sega CD and SNES version, but above the Gameboy and Genesis version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXNbnDFgn34

The gameboy port, however, is miserable. It runs at a framerate into the single digits. Unless you really knew the game, choosing between Sub-Zero and Scorpion was difficult because of the black and white. Almost all the moves were changed for no damn reason - Sub Zero's freeze changed from down, toward, punch, to back, forward, kick. WTF? The gameplay is too slow to enjoy, and the graphics are terrible, even for the hardware. The fatalities are similarly pathetic - they are, bar none, the worst fatalities in the entire series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DieTTkb6Ji8

The gameboy version only has one redeeming feature, and back in 1993 it was a biggie - it was, until MK Trilogy, the only game that allowed you to play as Goro. Beat the game once, then press up+left+Select at the title screen and you could play as Goro:

Beyond that, i got more play from my Tiger handheld version of MK than I did the gameboy port. The gameboy port of MK2 was a lot better - mainly because they didn't try to copy the photocopied look from the original arcade versions and convert them into 4-color black and white as they did with MK1, and instead went with a slightly more cartoony look. The 8-bit port of MK2 was still better than the Gameboy port, however.

In short, I'd say the sega 8-bit ports of Mk1 and Mk2 are at least playable. They remain faithful to the original and were (especially at the time) viable alternatives to the big brother versions. You didn't feel ripped off when you got it. The Gameboy version, however, was the poverty version. The version you got when you couldn't play MK any other way. It felt nothing like MK, and to see it called "the game gear version in black and white" is a huge insult to the sega 8-bit versions.

Now, by the time MK3 came around, the gameboy finally had the superior port (mainly because the sega 8-bit version was actually canceled and unfinished, when tec toy scooped up the project and hurrily finished it and released it in brazil), but by that point it didn't matter. Mk3 wasn't nearly the phenomenon that MK1 and MK2 were.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    TSR is wrong, SNES versions of MK1 and 2 play better and the best version of MK2 is PC-DOS.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2012
    It surprises me we've never got a re-release of MKTrilogy given how many people loved it. It was a bit of a glitch fest but it would definitely make a fun PSOne classic release. Armageddon was kind of the 3d version of it - but I would think a proper MKT release would sell a few copies on the 3DS or PSN.

On the new MK front though - I understand they were trying to kind of refresh/reload but it's too bad they could only give us one new MK character in the game and that came as DLC (Skarlet). As much as people complain when their favorites are missing it just seemed like they could have added someone else new to the mix. The prize for beating the challenge tower was kind of weak too.

The game is brilliant - you just can't help but want that little bit extra. I think it comes from being spoiled in Deception where there was so much hidden content with time specific events, incredibly tricky things to find, and in the newest game it kind of puts all its secrets right out to see.

Uh, Kratos? Also, Quan Chi plays nothing like he does in any other MK game, and while he was technically around during that time period story-wise, he didn't show up in that era and was originally retconned in via MK4.

EDIT: In any case, the sequel should include most of the "new" characters from MK4, and I wouldn't doubt it'll also include some completely new characters.

TheSonicRetard on
    I too hope they include MK4 characters on the next one

Next-gen Reiko, fuck yes

I too hope they include MK4 characters on the next one

Next-gen Reiko, fuck yes

I think it's assumed that Kenshi is going to be the hero of the next MK game, given his place in the series and what happened to everybody else. Kenshi is the closest the series got to Lui Kang and Sub-Zero in terms of importance and heroism in the later games. I'd assume Fujin will come back too.

Kratos isn't a new MK character, he's a bonus character just like Freddy. They don't count because they aren't really part of the story. I meant like adding actual MK canon characters that might reappear in a later game. Every game before this has at least tried to add new characters to the MK Universe - MK only adds one - even Armageddon added two. Even though most of the characters in the 3d games have been since thrown away at least they tried, and I would argue some of those characters should be revisited (Havik was awesome).

TSR is wrong, SNES versions of MK1 and 2 play better and the best version of MK2 is PC-DOS.

no, the SNES versions of MK1 and MK2 do not play better, and while the DOS version is a great port, it has only 4 buttons - Punch, Block, High Kick, and Low kick. The 32X version is superior because it includes everything in the DOS version, PLUS 6-button controls.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yes, the SNES versions do play better.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have no trouble believing the 32x version was superior.

The fatal flaw being... who the hell owned a 32x? :P

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."