is a new miniatures battle game based in a future era where mankind is trying to re-take their civilization from scary aliens. Developed by Hawk Wargames, it presents a lot of interesting features for a modern tabletop game:-10mm scale (compared to 15mm Flames of War and 28mm Warhammer)
-Air and land combat, including interceptors and aerial transports (hence the game's name)
-Rules for garrisoning, assaulting, and destroying buildings
-Awesome new resin material that bends in and out of shape, and is super-resilient
-6 "regular" and 6 "special" objective-based gametypes, including multiplayer scenarios
-All existing races included in the main rulebook ($22), with promise for PDF releases of new rules/units
RACESUnited Colonies of Mankind (UCM)
- The UCM represent modern humans fighting to take back their former worlds after an alien invasion. Through clever use of articulating weaponry, they can conceal their tanks behind cover and deliver an impressive array of firepower from a very versatile battle line. With some of the best air support in the game, they can take a proactive or reactive stance to enemy actions in the air or on the ground.The Scourge
- Having pushed mankind away from its homeworlds, the Scourge are fighting to conquer more and retain what they've got. Their swarms of vehicles carry devastating, although short-ranged, weaponry that puts fear into men's hearts. Taking other lifeforms as hosts, they're able to bring the resources of other races to bear in combat.The Post-Human Republic (PHR)
- The PHR represents a separatist group who splintered away from mankind in its time of need. Hideous triumphs of man and machinery, these cyborgs take to the battlefield with superior armor and weaponry. What they lack in numbers they make up for in firepower, their uncanny integration with their equipment making them an elegant vehicle of pure slaughter.The Shaltari
- The Shaltari are a mysterious alien race, who have often been caught supporting both sides of the war between mankind and the Scourge. Using mysterious gate technologies, their units seem to "teleport" around the battlefield rather than ride. The immortality of their consciousness makes them fierce, elite warriors, as their prowess is never truly lost on the battlefield.
WHERE TO BUY
Due to its recent launch (late July) and enormous response to pre-order options, models are trickling into the US distributors bit by bit. Your best bet right now is probably The War Store
in the US. The game will be distributed by e-Figures, which will expand options considerably once production meets demand.
HOW DOES IT PLAY?
The game does not follow the traditional I-go-You-go pattern. Here's a quick breakdown:
-Your army is made of battlegroups, which are each made of multiple squads (a squad being 3 APC's filled with infantry, for example)
-You take turns activating battlegroups
, meaning that you'll activate a series of squads and then I'll activate a series of squads.
-Models must maintain coherency within a squad (i.e. your 3 APC's with infantry must stick together) but not within a battlegroup
-Shooting is based on a to-hit/to-wound system. Models may have active countermeasures, reducing your effective range when targeting them, or passive countermeasures which grant a save.
-To-wound rolls are 1 step more difficult than 40k (i.e. the equivalent of Str7 vs. Toughness 7 requires a 5+ to wound)
-Infantry must embark into buildings in order to search for objectives, but can be assaulted/grenaded/flamed out of buildings. Or you can just bring the whole building down!
-Aircraft can make strafing runs, can intercept aircraft that are strafing, or even intercept other interceptors!
-Artillery can fire indirectly, but templates scatter, unless another scouting unit has LOS to the target and relays the information
-Command units determine your likelihood of first activation in a given turn, as well as allow you to pick up and play neat (although not really overpowering) Command Cards for 1-time buffs.
MORE INFORMATIONHawk Wargames Facebook pageHot-LZ
(An unofficial DZC fan forum)DZC Printable Buildings
- Download and print these PDF's, then glue to card/foamcore to make terrain!DZC Printable Roads
- Same as above, but for roads to build a city