As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any way to buy an iPhone model without a new plan?

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
At the beginning of the summer I dumbly jumped into a pool with my 3GS. A nice friend of mine gave me his old 3 (Much better than using my old Motorola phone). I'm using the old simcard with my number and my current plan. I'd like to buy a model 4 because it's gotten a price cut. However, I can't seem to find a way to just buy the phone without a plan. I could of course wait til my ATT contract runs out, but I'd like to upgrade due to the cut and also the 3 has some clunky quirks. I'd just like to get a better phone without having two contracts at the same time.

The clunky quirks
A little unresponsiveness, some sluggishness, a problem where with some plugs I have to move the USB in the charge slot and keep it at that exact area for it to charge. For some reason it acts nicely-nicely with the computer plug, one with buttons to release the phone. I ordered a new charger, and I'm not certain, but it not might actually charge and just show the green filled battery while it doesn't charge

It's not a huge deal, I could wait out the contract, but if there's a way to upgrade, I'd like to.

Kadoken on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you can buy them anywhere. They're just prohibitively more expensive sans plan. Best to just go right through Apple, as there's generally no noticeable price difference wherever you get it from.

• Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    I would wait for the iPhone 5 if you can. It'll cost the exact same amount as the current iPhone and if the new model isn't what you want you'll be able to snag a 4 used for less than they go for now.