As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Stainless Steel Rat Goes To Heaven - [RIP Harry Harrison ]

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
The man who gave us Jim DiGriz and Soylent Green, science fiction writer Harry Harrison, passed away today at the age of 87.

I read some of his work growing up, most notably the first of the Stainless Steel Rat books. The idea of a main character who was dangerous because of his mind and cunning as opposed to his willingness to use violence stuck with me thanks to the strength of his characterization of DiGriz. Beyond that, he had a diverse and detailed body of work covering many different types of settings. And he was still producing up to the end.

SF has lost one of its leading lights, who helped make it what it is today.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    man i loved those books

i read them all when i was way too young and all the sexing went over my head :(

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I burn through the Stainless steel rat books about twice a decade; It is sad to hear about his passing.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    His fascination with Esperanto always made me chuckle, but the guy was an excellent storyteller. RIP

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I read A Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted when I was a kid. Found it and a few other of his works in the basement of the town's library. Good times. RIP Mr. Harrison!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I burn through the Stainless steel rat books about twice a decade; It is sad to hear about his passing.

Me too

Although Stars and Stripes forever was pretty dire. Best just to remember his scifi

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    I was always a fan of his West of Eden series. Dinosaurs roaming the earn genetically engineering everything to suit their whims. Sign me up.