As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You're gonna need a bigger boat

DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
Quint.jpg

Jaws is now out on Blu-Ray!

Besides the amazing audio/video restoration done for the film itself, the new stuff amounts to a behind-the-scenes short about the restoration, a feature length documentary about the technical challenges of making the film and its legacy today, and a fully restored version of The Making of Jaws (if you had the 25th anniversary DVD, for some reason it was cut down from two hours to fifty minutes) that is particularly great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgUZ5y8JAc&feature=youtu.be
So let's talk about swimmin' with bow-legged women or drunk Robert Shaw or how unappreciated Jaws Unleashed was.

DrIanMalcolm on

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man, I love the heck out of Jaws.

It is such a great summer movie.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh I thought this was about shark week.

I hadnt seem the original jaws until this year, I thought it was pretty good.

And I thought the mechanical shark looked pretty good for what it was too!

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    This is a movie that needs to be seen in the theater to get most of the impact
    You can't even see Jaws eat that Kintner boy on TV

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Roy Scheider makes a mean adlib.

Astraphobia on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    jaws is almost a perfect suspense/horror movie and absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Alright, I was going out tomorrow anyways to check up on my pre-order of The Hunger Games DVD. Now I'm gonna pick up the Jaws Blu-Ray too! Awesome.

I second pretty much everything Pip said above. It's one of the few movies which, to me at least, still lives up to all the suspense it did upon its release, and is actually deserving of all the praise it receives. For a shoot that had more than its fair share of problems, they managed to make it into of my favorite movies ever, and an instant classic, and it's simply amazing to me.

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Somewhat related, for one day only, the Indiana Jones Quadrilogy is coming to theaters and then for one whole week, Raiders of the Lost Ark is coming to IMAX

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    jaws is almost a perfect suspense/horror movie and absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time
    Truf

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »

I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over my living room!

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    THIS IS WHAT I WANT

8406wWN.png
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

No argument. The only movie I can think of that I probably like more than it in the same genre is the 1982 remake of The Thing.

iwantanswers3.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I am an absolute cinephile, yet I have never seen Jaws.

Go figure!

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jaws is no doubt a great flick, but I just can't enjoy it as much as most people because I just can't turn off the part of my brain that knows the whole scenario is absurd because sharks are actually really interesting and beautiful creatures.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Druhim: Ruined by Shark Week.

Oh, no. Shark week is mostly hype. I knew more about sharks long before shark week was ever a thing. I ain't hating on shark week. Enjoy the fuck out of it. But it's not all that educational unless you know fuckall about sharks.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I rationalize the shark away as being one of those animals that become maneaters because of extenuating circumstances that we don't know about.

b1ehrMM.gif
    Hmm, a salient point. Like maybe his girlfriend just broke up with him or he just lost his job at the seal farm.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    The girlfriend story is more plausible, especially if he came from across the Pacific. He seems like the kind of shark that would be too beaucoup.

iwantanswers3.png
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I rationalize the shark away as being one of those animals that become maneaters because of extenuating circumstances that we don't know about.
    Like the Tsavo man-eaters

DrIanMalcolm on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jaws is a pretty good show

JtgVX0H.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Jaws would have been a lot different if the animatronic shark hadn't been such a piece of shit.

Because it would have ended up in a lot more scenes, probably killing much of the suspense.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Druhim wrote: »
    Jaws is no doubt a great flick, but I just can't enjoy it as much as most people because I just can't turn off the part of my brain that knows the whole scenario is absurd because sharks are actually really interesting and beautiful creatures.
    that's... kinda silly

it's based around the jersey shore incident (which was most likely a bull shark and possibly more than one) and the USS Indianapolis is brought up too, you know where a whole shitload of sailors got eaten by sharks, but it's a fucking movie that's more about the fear of the ocean/unknown and it simply uses the shark as the vessel

also yeah this, there are multiple events in recent history where for some reason animals that normally stay away from humans actively start hunting them

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    It is a movie about how terrifying cellos can be.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    that's... kinda silly

it's based around the jersey shore incident (which was most likely a bull shark and possibly more than one) and the USS Indianapolis is brought up too, you know where a whole shitload of sailors got eaten by sharks, but it's a fucking movie that's more about the fear of the ocean/unknown and it simply uses the shark as the vessel

I thought they caught a small great white with quite a large bit of people in its stomach? It does seem unlikely that the 1916 attacks were all one shark though.

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Did somebody say Jaws?

http://youtu.be/92yHyxeju1U

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    gimmie some shark facts

sig-1.jpg
    Berk wrote: »
    gimmie some shark facts

1. sharks eat bears

iwantanswers3.png
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    gummie some sharks facts

Awesome

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    that's... kinda silly

Bro, you're trying to make a rational case against something I never claimed is rational. Are you strictly rational whenever you watch any film? I'm not making a case against the film. I'm simply sharing my experience.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Larlar wrote: »
    gimmie some shark facts

1. sharks eat bears

2. sharks can drive standard transmission vehicles with impressive competency, but the art of doing donuts in parking lots still eludes them

iwantanswers3.png
    that's... kinda silly

Bro, you're trying to make a rational case against something I never claimed is rational. Are you strictly rational whenever you watch any film? I'm not making a case against the film. I'm simply sharing my experience.

your gay

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    that's... kinda silly

your gay

his gay?

JtgVX0H.png
    gimmie some shark facts

1. sharks eat bears

2. sharks can drive standard transmission vehicles with impressive competency, but the art of doing donuts in parking lots still eludes them

3. the shark's favorite instrument is the kazoo

iwantanswers3.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.

He also wrote a book I believe about Teddy Roosevelt's adventures in Africa, and holy shit is it interesting. edit: my mistake, it's called African Game Trails

the reason why i was mistaken is because Peter H Capstick is the editor and i have both the maneaters and teddy book.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    that's... kinda silly

your gay

his gay?

is pip

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    gimmie some shark facts

1. sharks eat bears

Which is why if you're being chased by a shark in a car, you should always run perpendicular to its trajectory.

gimmie some shark facts

1. sharks eat bears

3. the shark's favorite instrument is the kazoo

0. all shark math is done modulo 4

iwantanswers3.png
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Somewhat related, for one day only, the Indiana Jones Quadrilogy is coming to theaters and then for one whole week, Raiders of the Lost Ark is coming to IMAX

dude I am doing both of these

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »

My life will forever be incomplete until I finally get to go to one of the Alamo Drafthouse's Ultimate Jaws screenings.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367