Options

A new thread about Western animation

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Cartoon Network has announced that new Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series will start airing September 29th.

For some reason I though it had been moved to the CW.

There is a new saturday morning block on the CW called Vortexx. It airs a number of older titles such as Justice League: Unlimited and Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy
    Wikipedia Page
    Toonzone Article

Interesting, first I've heard. Goes to show how much I watch Saturday Morning cartoons. Certainly an improvement.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Original one pretty much. McGinnis always seemed determined to keep his normal life going though. I'd personally characterize his vigilantism as less obsessed and more driven.
    The big difference being Bruce Wayne had Alfred for support while Terry McGuinnis had old Wayne for support.

McGinnis also has Barbara Gordon and Max. The biggest difference is that he doesn't push people away like Bruce.

I really wish that show could have gone on longer or spun off into Justice League Beyond. It would be great to see more interaction between McGinnis and some of Batman's old allies like Superman and Wonder Woman.

Well, there was that Justice League Unlimited episode 'Once and Future Thing', but I get what you're saying.

Terry met Superman in "The Call part 1 & 2" from Batman Beyond.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hm. Any word on whether YJ is being picked up for another season?

Sadly there has been no word.

:(

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It never ceases to amaze me how blatant the prepubescent gay BDSM relationship in Phineas and Ferb is.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cartoon Network has announced that new Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series will start airing September 29th.

There is a new saturday morning block on the CW called Vortexx. It airs a number of older titles such as Justice League: Unlimited and Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy
    Wikipedia Page
    Toonzone Article

Interesting, first I've heard. Goes to show how much I watch Saturday Morning cartoons. Certainly an improvement.

Huh. Guess this shows how much anime has cooled off.

Then again it would have been nice if they had actually made new things instead of just re-running older stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think the last nail in the coffin of anime-as-kids-cartoons was 4Kids' butchering of One Piece. I can't think of any top level anime show that's been brought over since then. Sure there's been lower level stuff like Beyblade and whatever else CN has, but nothing with any star power. Also a lot of American cartoons are utilizing Japanese animation studios to get that anime feel but have a more wholly American story and so far it seems like that plan works out better than localizing anime did (ignoring the 80's anime that kids didn't know was anime that is).

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    If only Funimation had One Piece from the start.

Sigh.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's been so much cross-pollination, too. A 90s cartoons fan would probably look at a lot of modern western stuff and go, "What's with all this japanime shit?" Studio Ghibli's success helped reassure Pixar that it could sell movies targetted towards both adults and kids, and Pixar's success reassured other western companies that they could do the same. And vice versa anime's been playing with western genres and storylines for years, and of course the whole industry was founded by Tezuka thinking Walt Disney had a pretty cool thing going.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular

Wikipedia Page
    Toonzone Article

Improvement as in Joke i hope your saying.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Anything that gets JLU back on tv is a plus in my book.

Even if it is the same three seasons over and over. They're great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Novid wrote: »

Wikipedia Page
    Toonzone Article

I ment compared to when it was all just 4Kids shows.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I remember watching Escaflowna with some friends in college one night then the next weekend, getting up early to watch it on Saturday morning.

Worse mistake ever.

Back to Western Animation:

Is Rigby on Regular Show voiced by Schmitty from You Don't Know Jack? Also, RS seems like the only one of CN's current crop that I can enjoy. I can tolerate Adventure Time, but it and everything else seem just too far gone for me.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    If only Funimation had One Piece from the start.

Sigh.

True story: I live next to the Funimation studio.
    Also true: I don't really care for anime.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

it's why I am going to buy it on DVD sooner or later

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Is Rigby on Regular Show voiced by Schmitty from You Don't Know Jack? Also, RS seems like the only one of CN's current crop that I can enjoy. I can tolerate Adventure Time, but it and everything else seem just too far gone for me.

Nope. Rigby's voiced by William Salyers while Schmitty was voiced by Phil Ridarelli.
    Brainleech wrote: »

it's why I am going to buy it on DVD sooner or later

You can get the entire series (JL and JLU) in one nice (and not bad priced) package.

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Complete-George-Newbern/dp/B003L7DK88/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1347208121&sr=1-2&keywords=justice+league

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I wish JLU Blu-Ray sets would come out.

JL has them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They do? that is what i see in the bizzare blu ray area at work I thought it was something like these episodes are linked together or somehow alike

• Options
    They have Justice League seasons 1 and 2 on Blu Ray separately, not I'm not sure about JLU.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am this far in to Brave and the Bold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9VSIT8lY8

Wish I knew about this clip a couple days ago.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    They made a 3 minute animation to promote the videogame.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYFMqKmTaVA

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh man. Red Tornado
    Melting down his son.

Poor robut :(

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I really hate the new McDonald's commercials. That little goat weirds me right the fuck out. I'm not actually contributing anything useful here.

• Options
    Oh wow, they're doing a Spider-Ham episode next week on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Soooo... SPIDER PIG! SPIDER PIG! DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER PIG DOES! CAN HE SWING FROM A WEB? NO HE CAN'T CAUSE HE'S A PIG!

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I really hate the new McDonald's commercials. That little goat weirds me right the fuck out. I'm not actually contributing anything useful here.

goat.jpg

• Options
    Eh, sleep is overrated.

• Options

Poor Spider-Ham.

• Options
    Guys, the Robot Chicken DC special was phenomenal. And apparently they actually got Steven Tyler to do the music. All in all a hilarious episode.

• Options
    Guys, the Robot Chicken DC special was phenomenal. And apparently they actually got Steven Tyler to do the music. All in all a hilarious episode.

Yep, the Adult Swim twitter account confirmed it.

Naturally I forgot all about it.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I haven't watched Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated in a while. That's about to change, however, as I've just learned that season 2 features an episode in which Mystery Inc teams-up with Blue Falcon and Dynomutt to stop Dr. Zin. Oh, also the season's overarching plot is about an ancient artifact related to Nibiru and Planet X.

hobofred.png

Also, I just now realized that Lewis Black is Mr. E.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Novid wrote: »

Wikipedia Page
    Toonzone Article

I ment compared to when it was all just 4Kids shows.

i respectfully disagree.

• Options
    Here's an interesting article about Cartoon Networks philosophy concerning animation these days.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059055

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Here's an interesting article about Cartoon Networks philosophy concerning animation these days.

Oh thank God. Not that I get CN any more (oh wait, that's right-- they just started it in Canada, I think), but I remember all that talk of turning away from animation and thought this would relate to that...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Glad to hear they're willing to experiment again. That's how some of their most memorable stuff got created.

• Options
    Agreed. They seem to be taking a much more artist centric approach and giving them creative free reign. I'm really looking forward to what this will produce.

• Options
  • Options

I can't believe it's taken this long for a cartoon to be greenlit by a woman there. WTF Cartoon Network? :?

• Options

I can't believe it's taken this long for a cartoon to be greenlit by a woman there. WTF Cartoon Network? :?

I am going to be the first one to tell you this, and god damn it to best of my knowledge it is 100% true. Back in the mid 1990's (1998) several executives from CN came over an saw a script for a Movie made by a 15 year old high school student in Virginia (Her story and how she ended up its just as amazing and it changed my life forever) named Kyrah's Castle. They asked her several times to make it into a TV series, she said no and the plan fell through. It was going to be the first "Internet series" not unlike what they Plan for a SyFi series and MMO coming later this year. So they had MANY chances for so many years, not only her - Ms Faust as well.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    There would be reason to live again. Unless they butcher it. Then I'll just crawl back under my rock.

This discussion has been closed.