As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dropping my phone provider

Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been a Vonage customer for a very long time now, but most of the calls that come into my home number these days are telemarketers. Recently, some wiring has gone flaky and the "landline" phones in my house no longer function. This has inspired me to get rid of Vonage and drop the whole sham of needing a home phone, since our cellphones are simply superior. The problem is, I don't want to lose my home phone number. It's the emergency contact number and general "we need your phone number" that we've been giving out for 10+ years. Ideally, I would like to pay someone a minimal monthly fee to simply forward my existing home phone # to either my wife's cell or mine. Is there anyone out there that provides that type of service?

Squid56 on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    you could try porting it (indirectly) to Google voice: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y6bYwC2VDit9eAnlcLF2ZSZETsDJ3wQumZ4rmaqF_Go/mobilebasic?pli=1
    though it doesn't always work.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    vonage themselves offer a virtual softphone option. you could use that to forward the calls to your cellphone.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You could register the number as a VOIP number with your Internet provider and then forward calls from there.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, although they all don't really manage what I'm trying to accomplish. I may just be stuck paying Vonage $20/mnth to forward my home calls to my cell, but that just seems like such a waste of money for something that should just be a cross-reference in a database somewhere. Sigh...

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    Why doesnt google voice work for you? It does precisely what you asked for in the OP.

• Options
    According to Google Voice, my home phone number is not eligible to be transferred. No idea why.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Right, that's why you have to do it indirectly via the link I posted. Essentially you transfer it to a pay-as-you-go plan on one of the major cell providers, then transfer it to Google Voice. For whatever reason, Google Voice won't transfer in landlines or voip numbers.

• Options
    Ok, I admit it, I'm an idiot. Thank you for the link, I will consider that my best option.