As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Bicycle

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So as the title says, I want to get a bicycle. I would use it to commute to my college from my off campus apartment, my ride it on weekends/summers for excessive. Problem is I have no idea on where to start. What should I look for? Whats a good starting price? Commuting on it is my main focus, exercise is second, so I would like to avoid a high price workout bike. Also live in Illinois, so its pretty flat and I would would not need a mountain bike for any reason.

Thanks in advance.

JusticeforPluto on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Personally I liked my mountain bike due to its wider tyres which weren't as susceptible to slipping into cracks and dips in the road.

but that might not be important to you.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I ride about 10km to work each day. I picked up a hybrid bike to help with things like Dhal mentioned. Basically a road bike with slightly wider tyres. It cost me $600 in Australia, so you could probably get one cheaper in the US. Can't remember what the brand is, but when I ride it home today I'll edit and post it.

Edit: It's an Avanti Blade.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Probably $800+ unless you're getting used or last years model on closeout. 7-9 speed internal hub, unless you need more gearing to deal with a lot of grades.

Go to several local bike stores and tell them exactly what you told us. Comfortable riding geometry is very subjective, and if this is a commuter then you'll likely want something more forgiving than if it was just for pleasure/exercise. You'll probably want at least braze-ons if the bike doesn't come with a rack/panniers, and if you want to ride in the rain, fenders.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'd recommend something like this:
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker
    If buying new, as it will fit the slightly larger commuter tires you want without having to go hybrid, as well as allow for use as a good road bike or light trail/bikepath bike if you start getting into that stuff. That said, go to a few shops and get fitted, as your body determines the best bike for you.
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/ for an idea of what you should look for fit-wise.
    Note - it's way cheaper to buy used.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I bought a nice new bike a week ago for a little over $400 (a Giant hybrid), which is the low end these days. What you may want to do is look up a specific price range to see what the offerings are, and then a trip to your local shops for test rides.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    How far is your commute? When I was in college and had no money, I looked for a used bike in the local free circular and got a 12-speed street bike for $75. It was heavy and it didn't really have a good gear for steep hills, but I used it for the next 11 years, including a daily 24 mile round trip commute for one year. I think the logic was that a bad bike would be better exercise.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You're going to want to buy used because it is way cheaper. If you know nothing about bikes, it's worth it to stop in a local bike shop and tell them what your looking for so they can give recommendations. Often they will have deals where you can take bikes for test rides as well; sometimes for free, sometimes for a fee that would then apply to any purchase you made. If you can get test rides for free, or if you do plan on purchasing through the local bike shop, I really recommend this because you'll never really know what you want until you try it.

Used bike prices will vary depending on where you live. I live in seattle which for some unknown reason has astronomical used bike prices. So a decent commuter can usually be had for around $200-400. Less if you look for the good deals, more if your lazy. I probably wouldn't spend less than $100 or so no matter where you live, unless you know enough to know it's a good deal. Also, when you purchase a used bike, you local bike shop will almost certainly allow you to bring it in and have them service it for some fee. It's usually a pretty good deal, it starts you off with a fully functioning bike, and they can clue you in on the necessary maintenance steps to keep it running well.

When buying a used bike there are several things to consider. I'll try and give a few things to look for, but this is by no means the entire story. That being said it should be enough for you to feel comfortable buying a $200 bike for the first time.

1) Frame size. First and foremost you want to make sure you get a bike that is your size. This used to mean standing over the bike and seeing if your feet touch the ground. It doesn't anymore. Unfortunately this is the hardest part to figure out. Sheldon brown was a fantastic mechanic and the link is for his blog. I linked his article on frame sizing and it is a really good place to start to learn the basics. I recommend doing some reading, then going in and talking to the people at your local bike shop and asking as many questions as you can think of. Bikes are very customizable, so there isn't necessarily one size out there that is the only fit for you, but you want to be pretty close.

2) Frame Material. Bikes can be made out of a few different materials, mainly: Aluminum, steel (of different types), carbon fiber, and titanium. The last two will be very light and very, very expensive. So most likely you will be looking at Aluminum or steel. The typical wisdom is that aluminum tends to ride a little stiffer which makes it more energy efficient (you get less tired), but it is less comfortable. (Side note: aluminum is actually a softer metal than steel, but the way aluminum frames are shaped they will be stiffer than steel frames). I like steel frames, but it's really up to you. The bottom line is that it may or may not even be noticeable to you.

There are many types of steel used in frames. Some are lighter than others. Obviously the lighter ones will be better bikes, but more expensive. For a commuter it doesn't matter at all, because you will almost certainly add a way more weight with racks and bags. EDIT: Speaking of racks, if you do plan on adding one, make sure that the frame you get has the proper eyelets. Otherwise it will be a pain in the ass. For a commuter I would try and find a frame with 2 eyelets in the front, and 2 in the rear.

3) Frame Construction. Like everything you buy, some manufacturers make good items, some make shitty items. Shitty frames will fall apart more quickly. This usually means cracks in the frame; especially at the points where things are welded together. Unfortunately it takes forever to learn by brand name/model name which frames are good and which are bad. I would suggest just looking at whats available in your area and just doing a quick google search on the bike model when you find one you like. In the end, even shitty frames will still last a while. Just make sure and check for any cracks, dings, or bends when you look at a used bike. Any of these things are immediate walk away signals.

4) Wheels. There's a lot of info about what makes a good wheel, but most of it pertains to making the wheel lighter. Since you are using it as a commuter, it doesn't really matter. More spokes tends to mean it will be more resistant to wear/sudden brakes. Less spokes tends to mean it will be lighter and easier to ride. They only thing that you should always check is how straight the wheel is. The quickest way is to lift up the bike, spin the wheel, and watch the distance of the wheel from the brake pads. If it seems to get closer/farther as it spins then the wheel isn't straight (technically it's called being true, not straight). If it seems to waver less than 1/8 of an inch or so it's probably ok, if it's more than you'll probably need a new wheel (which is expensive).

5) Components. This is all of the moving parts on the bike: derailleurs, pedals, brakes, brake levers, shifters, crankset, gears, ect... Test ride any bike you want to buy (especially used) and try out the brakes and shifting. There shouldn't be any noises and it shouldn't feel like things are getting caught anywhere. Similar to frames, there's good brands and bad brands, good models and bad models. Generally bikes were sold with matching parts, meaning all of the parts will have the same brand/set name. Unlike frames there isn't a very large set of brands/sets so it shouldn't be too hard to familiarize yourself with the ranking of nicest to cheapest. You'll want to be somewhere in the middle. Above the cheapest poorly made sets, but below the ultra light weight expensive ones. Shimano, suntour, and compagnolo seem to be the most prevalent.

There's probably some points I missed, but that's enough wall of text for now.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The ride to my college is only a few blocks, maybe a mile at the not. And its flatter than a pancake all the way there.

And oh man that is a lot to consider.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The ride to my college is only a few blocks, maybe a mile at the not. And its flatter than a pancake all the way there.

And oh man that is a lot to consider.

For that sort of distance you will probably be OK with pretty much whatever. Try not to buy a supermarket bike, because they are very poor quality (as in things wear out very fast, need adjusting and tweaking significantly more often), but other than that you'll be fine.

Best bet is to try to buy a used bike from a reputable manufacturer. Sit on it and make sure that it is basically comfortable, you aren't bolt upright with your knees hitting the bars as you pedal, and you don't have to do a superman impression to steer.

Another consideration is that if you are leaving this locked up outside it is a good idea to get something that you will not be too cut up about if it is stolen.

• Options
    If there's no grade and it's a short commute you could totally do a single speed. Check out CL. First bike should be cheap cheap. Find out if you want to ride and then upgrade components or whole bike once you've developed your riding.

• Options
    MagdarMagdar Registered User regular
    Holy Christ, you all are going nuts. I bought a cheap pre-built bike at Target for $70. Yeah, it's junky, but if all you need it for is going back and forth to work it's fine. I've been riding it around town for a couple of years now. Don't let everyone convince you that you need to spend hundreds on a bike. Just go to Target or Wal-Mart and see what bike fits you.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    If you want a nicer bike, there is really no reason to not get a low end Diamondback, Nishiki, Trek, etc for around 2-300 bucks. Granted... i've been out of the game for a while, so prices may have risen. I'd go that route if you are planning on doing some flat trail riding as well on the side.

If you are literally just riding it a few blocks/day, then yeah, check out craigs list, or your local circular or yard sales. take your smart phone and look up the brand name. Reliable ones are fairly well known, if you can't find a website for the brand, it's probably a turd on wheels. Those can work out fine, but usually don't. I used to work at dick's, and i HATED selling those special buy models. inevitably the customer brought it back in because the brakes sucked, it wouldn't shift well, etc etc. as soon as i tuned it up for free, he/she'd be back in 1-2 weeks later with more problems. you honestly do get what you pay for in a bike.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    a nice bike and a campus bike are not really compatable ideas.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Go get a cheap single gear bike off of craigslist!

What you need to figure out is the size of your bike first. Go into a bike shop and ask what size bike someone your height should have.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I bought a bicycle fairly recently for mostly commuting in Toronto and I bought one in Bermuda about a year ago. If cost is your main focus then you should look at Craigslist for some good deals. However, you should try to buy a bike that is sized correctly for you. There are a few bike sizing guides out there. The main thing they all say is that you should have a couple of inches of space between your crotch and the top tube when you're standing flat over your bike.

I bought a Cannondale Bad Boy when I was in Bermuda and I really liked that bike. However, it was way more money than I should've spent and it was way more bike than I really needed for what I was doing.

If you're on a mostly flat terrain and aren't concerned with the joys of long distance riding then you may wan to consider a single geared bike. That's what I purchased for Toronto. There are all kinds of online retailers that will sell you a decent single/fixed gear bike for under $500. I went with Purefix Cycles since they seemed to have a good reputation and were featured in To Live and Ride in LA. You don't need to run it as a fixed gear bike since the back wheel can be flipped around for either fixed or free wheel. It's referred to as a flip-flop hub. I also went with these guys since they had some cool colours but I wouldn't feel like I was riding a bike sponsored by Skittles.

However, that's only really if you want to buy a brand spanking new bicycle. If you want a used one, take advantage of a local bike store and get yourself sized up for a bike. Maybe take a test ride on a bike similar to what you want and then tell the store that you'll have to come back when you have some more money. After that, you'll need to comb through craigslist. Nice bikes tend to get stolen on campuses from what I understand. I didn't own a bike in Uni so I've never had to deal with that issue. But from what I understand you don't want your bike to stand out too much or it'll probably get stolen. That's a major factor in buying a cheap used bike.

When you go to look at the bike make sure that the chain isn't rusted to pieces and the moving parts are in decent working order. You don't want to have to spend a bunch of money fixing and replacing parts on the thing. Rust spots on the frame aren't a major concern as long as it's not out of control. Make sure to buy some decent chain oil. Don't use WD40 as it'll gunk up your chain really quickly.

I'd definitely recommend a single geared bike for the commute. Dealing with gears and derailluers can be a major hassle. Commuting should be all about a simple bike that you can just hop onto and it works.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I guess I should have mentioned that your choice will depend on your estimated usage. If your commute is <1 mile then you should just find the cheapest bike on craigslist that runs. I lived in a small town during college and I had a 40 year old crappy schwinn that worked great for getting around. If your commute is longer than a few miles though I would say go ahead and spend a little more to get something that will be more reliable/comfortable.

Also, just say no to all of the hipsters on this thread, and do not get a fixed gear. Otherwise you will become this guy
    1087535149_PNScU-L.jpg

With your 12 dollar, 3 oz coffee, and your homoerotic thoughts.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    But I already do everything else in that comic! The bike would seal the deal! :P

I have never used Craig's List, so I'm hesitant to start now. I just don't need the headache of getting shafted/having an unhappy seller. I'll probably look around the local bike stores for a used bike (what I was planning to do). All of you have been very helpful and I know know what to look for.

I'm also leaning towards a multi geared bike. I've ridden those before, and I never fiddled with the gears going short distances. And if I do use it for exercise, the I can increase/decrease the resistance. It's been a while and maybe I was a stupid kid (scratch that, I was) but i remember it being that you could leave your bike on the gear you liked, unlike say a stick-shift car where you would have to start from a low gear and work your way up. Is this still the case? Are both optional available?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Small note- you can true a bike wheel by adjusting the spokes. If you do get a good deal on a bike, you can take it to a local bike shop and they'll true it for you for a small fee if you don't feel like learning how to do it yourself. It's pretty easy to do, though.

Edit- Also, I see you want a geared bike. Extra consideration on quality will have to be taken, because a poorly made bike with gears will pop the chain and get tangled up. That's not something you want in a reliable mode of transportation (experience talking here).

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Less than a mile? Can you carry all the stuff you'll need for college in a backpack?

Get a BMX. Simplest bikes around, can take a savage beating and come back for more, and you will only be on the thing for a couple of minutes maximum a day, so you don't even need to worry about ergonomics or whatever.

• Options
    Yeah, when I lived on campus I usually don't even need a backpack. A notebook and whatever book were currently discussing are usually the only things I bring to class.

And if a geared bike might cause more headaches I might go with a fixed gear. So many things to consider, I feel like buying a car was less of a hassle.

And I feel like this will be asked, "why don't you drive if you have a car?"

Many reasons, but most importantly parking at my school is terrible. If your not parked by around 9 you will spend on average about 10-30 minutes looking for a spot.

Thanks for all the advice. Anyone else on advice on fixed versus geared bikes?

• Options
    MagdarMagdar Registered User regular
    If all you're really looking for is a getting around town bike, then seriously, just go to the nearest big box store, grab a bike off the rack, see if it's comfortable and buy it. Yes, my bike has mediocre brakes and the shifters don't work smoothly, but at $70 it's a great buy. It's still running. If you want a better bike, just go to a local bike shop and ask for an entry level bike and tell them how much you want to spend. No need to over think this.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Yeah, if you don't want to deal with craigslist and used bikes then you're looking at probably buying new. If you go to a big box then you'll probably find some deals.

If you want a geared bike then you should probably research one that has decent components. Really annoying to have a bike that skips gears, chain comes off, etc.

A BMX is definitely built to take a beating but you'll probably be happier with something that takes 700c wheels. It's just faster to get from A to B on a bike that's actually meant to travel.

You don't necessarily need a fixed gear but I think a single geared bike is preferential when doing a short commute. There's just less maintenance and less than can go wrong during your ride.

• Options
    Okay, so I'm going to look at used bikes in my area this weekend. Since I really couldn't care about geared/fixed, I'll let quality decide what I get. Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fixies are fine for flatland, just make sure it has front and back brakes.

• Options
    If you like BMX frame geometry you might look into 26" cruisers. They're basically BMX bikes for big boys. Personally once I rode on a bike with road bike geometry I could never go back to a more upright riding position.

If you don't like CL then you don't like CL, buying used bikes from an LBS in my city (Austin) and you basically save nothing over a new bike. Not griping, the LBS probably put a couple hundred in work on the bike, and bikes are in demand in this city, but here that's not the cheap route. I'm much more concerned with buyers than sellers on CL; if you pay the ask they are going to be happy, though I've usually been able to bargain down anything listed for $100 or more.

If it's a short commute with no grade look at single speeds: freewheeled, not fixed gear unless you're fine with always pedaling, no coasting on fixies. You'll never have to adjust a derailleur and you'll never get that chck-chck-chck-chck sound when pedaling while your derailleurs are out of adjustment.

• Options
    if you are tall, you will hate a BMX frame. plus if you ever want to go trail riding, you'll need another bike.

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    I bought a nice Fuji road bike from the late 80s for less than 200 bucks off craigslist. It's in nice shape, rides well and does everything I need. It also is decently high quality and isn't going to fall apart. Don't buy something new.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    if you are tall, you will hate a BMX frame. plus if you ever want to go trail riding, you'll need another bike.

He's not going to go trail riding on a fixie, either... But for a 2 minute ride each way, a BMX is basically a cheap indestructible set of wheels with the absolute minimum possible things to go wrong with it. As for size, I'm 6'1" and I can ride a 20 inch BMX all day. Unless the O.P. learns to ride a unicycle, there's pretty much nothing simpler, or more rugged.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options

He's not going to go trail riding on a fixie, either... But for a 2 minute ride each way, a BMX is basically a cheap indestructible set of wheels with the absolute minimum possible things to go wrong with it. As for size, I'm 6'1" and I can ride a 20 inch BMX all day. Unless the O.P. learns to ride a unicycle, there's pretty much nothing simpler, or more rugged.

A bmx bike is a fixie. The only difference between what people usually call fixies, and a BMX bike, is that the bmx bike is tiny and probably has more rugged wheels. Honestly, if you aren't doing tricks I'm not sure why you would get a BMX bike. There is no possible way it can be as comfortable as a regular bike. Maybe if you're used to it, or if it's a really short ride, it's no big deal, but I will never believe it is as comfortable as a bike that is properly sized to the rider.

Also, if you do go the fixed gear route, make absolutely sure you still have at least a front brake. You will at some point need to stop quickly, and that simply isn't possible without a front brake.

It sounds like you are going to check out the local bike shop, and that's great. But unless it is unlike any bike shop I've ever been too, their cheapest bike will probably be $400ish and way better than you're looking for right now. You can get much better deals on craigslist, and if you're worried, you can always post the listing here and we can tell you if the bike is crap or not.

• Options
    Any BMX I've ridden has been either a freewheeling single speed or a single speed with coaster brake. Fixed gear bikes means the chainring (cog to which the pedals are connected) and the rear hub gear is in lockstep. If your rear wheel is rolling forward then your drivetrain is moving forward (your pedals are moving forward) and vice versa. I don't have any desire to ride fixed gear though enthusiasts certainly talk the talk. The only advantages I see are that a fixed gear is a simpler hub than a freewheel or coaster brake, and better conditioning since you have to control speed (brake) with your legs.

The real difference between BMX and a more road-type bike is the way it rides: you cannot get full leg extension on a BMX while sitting the saddle, and jumping the curb and taking the gully or switchback to avoid an intersection is a lot harder on a roadbike than a BMX or MTB. Ride a BMX, ride a road bike, ride a mountainbike, a 29er, a touring/hybrid. It's pretty obvious how they differ in the way you want to ride.

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    Any BMX I've ridden has been either a freewheeling single speed or a single speed with coaster brake. Fixed gear bikes means the chainring (cog to which the pedals are connected) and the rear hub gear is in lockstep. If your rear wheel is rolling forward then your drivetrain is moving forward (your pedals are moving forward) and vice versa. I don't have any desire to ride fixed gear though enthusiasts certainly talk the talk. The only advantages I see are that a fixed gear is a simpler hub than a freewheel or coaster brake, and better conditioning since you have to control speed (brake) with your legs.

The real difference between BMX and a more road-type bike is the way it rides: you cannot get full leg extension on a BMX while sitting the saddle, and jumping the curb and taking the gully or switchback to avoid an intersection is a lot harder on a roadbike than a BMX or MTB. Ride a BMX, ride a road bike, ride a mountainbike, a 29er, a touring/hybrid. It's pretty obvious how they differ in the way you want to ride.

My bad. The wiki page on BMX had a picture of a bike with no brakes. To me that says fixed gear. At any rate, for what the op looks to be doing I think a road bike is the best bet.

Out of curiosity, what's the 29er good for? I've seen a lot more of them in the LBS lately, and I just don't understand what the larger wheels do for you. Is it better for rough terrain? Is it exclusively for bike messengers who will be riding down staircases? What's the deal?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I was thinking more of single speeds when I tossed out 29er, as I like my friend's monocog. If I was going to ride trails mainly I'd probably do a multi-gear 26", but I'm no good at offroad and need the smaller frame.

When I got back into riding a couple years ago I might've been happy with a 29er, cause I wanted flat bars, a beefier frame, bigger tires, cause I thought road bikes looked all spindly and fragile* and I figured I'd be riding on grass/trail way more than I do.

Edit: I should add, there's nothing particularly fragile w/r/to road bikes. That was just a perception I had when trying to buy a bike after 20 years not riding, and my previous experience being BMX type bikes.

Djeet on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the 29er good for? I've seen a lot more of them in the LBS lately, and I just don't understand what the larger wheels do for you. Is it better for rough terrain? Is it exclusively for bike messengers who will be riding down staircases? What's the deal?

Angle of attack on trail obstacles is lower, so a 29" wheel rolls better over rough ground and holds speed better.

Also, don't buy a mountain bike or a hybrid for use on the road because you think road bikes are too fragile. "Road bikes" encompasses everything from superlight race machines to touring bikes intended for riding across India on dirt tracks with 50kg of luggage strapped to it. There are also cyclocross bikes, which sit somewhere between road bikes and mountain bikes on the durability spectrum.

Unless you get something with a sub-1kg carbon frameset you are not likely to break anything on a road bike without doing something really over the top. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this last bike thread but I've ridden my Giant Defy down a flight of stairs without issue.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Christ, japan, last time I did anything even close to that I broke a few spokes.

... maybe the fact that I did it going around 20 had something to do with it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Probably. I bunny hop my roadie all the time, and it's carbon with a mid-level set of campy rims. No issues so far.

• Options

When i say trail riding, i really meant a flat trail. so he could potentially take a full frame fixie out there. I agree, if all he's doing is a 1 mile ride each way, a BMX would be a good option. however, if he and his buddies decide to go on a long ride, he is going to be miserable on a bmx.