As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, August 24, 2012 - The Dark Diary

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I love the last panel

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Indeed. Tycho in the first panel is also rocking a nice "Haters gonna hate" vibe.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Don't know what the precise story behind this, but also don't need to know.

Third panel is the best I've seen in a while. The composition of it is great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    A thing of simple understated beauty.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AceHardingAceHarding Registered User regular
    I enjoy how Tycho's dialogue becomes Gabe-like when he is up to something.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    I love that Gabe doesn't even turn around. He simply knows when and where it will happen and has his hand in place.

• Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    1. Not funny. Joke's been done a zillion times before, better.

2. Lazy, lazy, lazy. 3 lines of text, which I could get if they were going for something visually interesting. Nope. Gabe has virtually the same pose for 3 panels and Tycho doesn't even appear in one.

How long could this thing have possibly taken? Clearly not too long as Gabe had time to do a fully worked up piece of completely unpaid fan art, despite his "OMG you guys we're just sooooooooooooo busy, you just don't understand you guys!" BS in the money-grab-that-shall-not-be-named. This is a prime example of why people got pissed off about that, and why I often go weeks and weeks at a time without even visiting the comic page of this webcomic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Comics have been very bland lately, with some very entretaining exceptions. But you cant expect 110% from someone all of the time.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This scenario played out many times at my house, with my sister in the role of Gabe and me in the place of Tycho.

Superdupe wrote: »
    This is a prime example of why people got pissed off about that, and why I often go weeks and weeks at a time without even visiting the comic page of this webcomic.

Well I'm sure we all appreciate that you decided to take a glance today and drop in to share your thoughts.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Indeed. My sister's an art student, and taking a glance at her work is like taking a cub from momma bear.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    This is a prime example of why people got pissed off about that, and why I often go weeks and weeks at a time without even visiting the comic page of this webcomic.

Well I'm sure we all appreciate that you decided to take a glance today and drop in to share your thoughts.

Well I´m sure we all appreciate that you decided to validate him sharing his thoughs, otherwise it would be pointless to give an honest personal opinion.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Panel 2. The way Gabe is holding his pencil is hardcore. Like he's going to town on that paper.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

Well I´m sure we all appreciate that you decided to validate him sharing his thoughs, otherwise it would be pointless to give an honest personal opinion.

I don't have a problem with him saying he thinks the comic is lame, God knows I've expressed similar thoughts on occasion (still bear the scars from when I dared to suggest the Annarchy cosplay showcase strip was pretty pointless). But the "How dare Gabe draw something just for fun when he is not fulfilling his duties of making comics which are up to my standards?" combined with the cheap shot about crowd-funding seems like some pretty silly goosery to me.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I identified with this comic.

It doesn't have to be the most amazing joke ever to be funny

it is super annoying to have someone looking over your shoulder while you are drawing

it's extra annoying when that person has opinions

I get very secretive about work I don't think is "done" enough, this is a common funny experience among creatives

it seems silly to call this "lazy" unless you have no experience with creating something, Superdupe

though judging by your commentary, you probably don't

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. I liked this comic. It had more of the frivolity and amusing dynamic between the two characters I love than some more recent stuff has had, and this is what I've loved about PA.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Comics have been very bland lately, with some very entretaining exceptions. But you cant expect 110% from someone all of the time.

It's also a super slow period for video games.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Gabe was ready for Tycho. Not only did he block access to the Sketchbook, he also swapped the Spiral-Bound Sketchbook for a Case-Bound one at the last moment.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

It's also a super slow period for video games.

And they've got something coming up in a week that's Kind of a Big Deal

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I can't say why, but I really, really loved this comic. It just worked for me.

• Options
    Funky StrongFunky Strong Registered User regular
    AceHarding wrote: »
    I enjoy how Tycho's dialogue becomes Gabe-like when he is up to something.

Tycho and Gave have been pretty interchangeable for the last year or so. Like either one of them could be the "smart one" or "dumb one" or "straight man" or whatevs in most strips, and they switch around a lot. It always do a double take when I read Gabe speaking in Tycho sentences.