As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAM conflicts with my... microphone?? [solved]

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
Looks like bad luck. The first RAM I bought to upgrade my PC had the wrong frequency to work with the old. The second was faulty. The third one works great (memtest finds no errors) except for one problem... it botches up my recording.
The sound is extremely garbled: http://artgoblin.pl/upload/miketest.wma
It can get much worse than that, to the point of it being unreadable. Switching recording frequency to a different one (doesn't matter which) randomly makes it worse, better or (extremely rarely) eliminates the problem completely... for a while.
I've made sure it's the problem with this particular piece of RAM (taking it out makes things ok, keeping it as the only one doesn't help).

Do you guys have any ideas? My google fails me here.

My specs are:
Windows 7 64bit
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Mobo: Gigabyte 770T-usb3

Anything else would be of use?

Sorry for the .wma, if you think you can help but can't play .wma, let me know and I'll try to convert it.

Mayday on

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Oh for fuck's sake...

"Microphone issues on Windows 7/Vista 64-bit (x64) with 4GB of RAM or more

Audigy driver does not support 64-bit addressing, resulting in random issues with the Microphone (static, robotic or distorted voice, white noise).

Workarounds:
    - connect your microphone to your motherboard's integrated HD Audio input
    - install the 32-bit (x86) version of Windows
    - limit the RAM available to Windows to less than 4GB
    - enable Memore Hole in BIOS Setup, if your motherboard supports the setting"

WELP! Yeah, the new stick was 4GB, the old sticks were both 1GB. Looks like I'm gonnaaa haaave tooo juuuump...!

Is it possible to have two audio cards working at the same time? Let's see...
    EDIT: yep, looks like I'm gonna have to keep using both.

Mayday on
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Can you just use the onboard sound, rather than the audigy card?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Hey, the onboard sound produces some noticeable static when the PC is working (especially the GPU). That's why I don't use it for playback.
    (sorry for the late response, missed it somehow).