As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

$100 to blow at newegg

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
Any suggestions on how to spend it? No software needs. I have a mechanical keyboard and a sound setup that I like. No need for a joystick.

fwKS7.png?1
kaliyama on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I think you're down to a sweet mouse at this point. I've been eyeing the Naga Hex. It's a good'n if you play Diablo or LoL, or similar.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Ram?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Get an SSD.

Never look back

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Donovan Puppyfucker
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I got 8 GB and a 128GB SSD, and a razer mouse. All 3 are glorious. Sorry to not have a better OP - at least via the very good RAM and SSD suggestions it wouldn't have occurred to me that either would fall at the $100 price point or I would have been more specific. Remembering RAM prices from the 90s make me feel old.

fwKS7.png?1
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Do you have a controller? I've also heard people swear by the Razer Nostromo.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Saying this as someone who snagged an SSD for $300 off Amazon, wouldn't you be dealing with a goddamn tiny SSD for under $100? Like, 2- 4 modern games (i.e. the ones that would actually take advantage of it)? I guess you could boot your OS from it.

To quote @Malkor, if so, Prepare to look back. A lot.

I use a simplistic Microsoft mouse myself, but I think you might be better off investing in a Mouse if you're not satisfied with your current one. Whatever you do, don't be like me and forget about credit with NewEgg--it most definitely expires, and unlike other online stores, they will not honor it if you politely complain.

Synthesis on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Saying this as someone who snagged an SSD for $300 off Amazon, wouldn't you be dealing with a goddamn tiny SSD for under $100? Like, 2- 4 modern games (i.e. the ones that would actually take advantage of it)? I guess you could boot your OS from it.

I use a simplistic Microsoft mouse myself, but I think you might be better off investing in a Mouse if you're not satisfied with your current one. Whatever you do, don't be like me and forget about credit with NewEgg--it most definitely expires, and unlike other online stores, they will not honor it if you politely complain.

I bought a 120GB SSD for $300 on NewEgg 5 months ago. Today I could buy a better 120GB SSD for like $100.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, SSD prices are plummeting...finally.

I still don't regret paying 200 bucks for my 128GB one eight months ago, because it's amazing.

That said, OP: How about a Blu-Ray drive/burner? That's what I spent my last 100 free newegg bucks on, was a Blu-Ray burner.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I bought a 120GB SSD for $300 on NewEgg 5 months ago. Today I could buy a better 120GB SSD for like $100.

I wouldn't do that--I paid $400 for a 512GB SSD a few months ago, which is still....$400, hilariously enough. That being said, yeah, you can get a a respectable 120 GB SSD for $100. So, your OS+a few games.

Like any other upgrade, you'd have to decide for yourself if that would be sufficient to warrant the expense, depending on how often you rotate games.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    BT headphones?
    A bunch of thumbdrives to give as gifts?

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    the Razer Naga is the best mouse ever imo. I don't think I could own another mouse without the side buttons now that I have it. I thought it was weird at first but now I can't game without it, best under $100 gaming purchase i ever made. Also another suggestion is a dedicated sound card if you don't have one.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Tef
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Get a set of wireless headphones. My stepfather has a pair he uses to watch movies in bed while my mother is asleep