Options

Hair gel/paste that withstands sweat

BayesianBayesian Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I use the messy axe paste currently and whenever I go to a music festival it just melts and looks awful. Has anyone found something that holds up or is it all pretty much the same?

Bayesian on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mayne try the pomade instead. Sweat is going to wash out most anything. But gel seems to go first. Pomade holds up a little better.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Just guessing AXE may not make the highest quality stuff either, or could all be from the same animal factory.

I go with American Crew pommade and it's pretty good. Also if you've got long or thick hair, there's only so much any product can do.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I always had the best luck asking stuff like this to hairdressers (haircutters? people who cut hair.)

Erik
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    I have used in the past L'OReal Studio Invisi'FX Gel with good results. The only product I could find online similar, but not equal, is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Loreal-Studio-InvisiFX-Normal-Strength/dp/B008NWITX2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346542551&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=L'Oreal+Studio+Invisi'FX

Talk to a haircutter and get his opinion, I have heard that the prolonged used of this products could contribute to hair loss.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    You can get wax, which is like super-strong pomade. That might work.

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    It really depends on your style.

Pomades can be very good for slightly more conservative styling (not always, but generally), even the AXE pomade (Slick or Smooth, I believe?) has a good hold. Wax is super strong, as stated above, but can be a bitch to wash out and doesn't feel nice to the touch.

Spiking glue, such as got2b glued, is water resistant and great for spiky, precise, gravity-defying, etc. I live in Southern California and I have never had a problem with this during summer heat.

Currently, I am using Groom and Clean during the day since it gives a nice hold, slick conservative look, and I can easily refresh my hair when removing my hat. At night I am using L'oreal Paris (I know, I know... shut up) alcohol-free styling mouse and hair spray for the edgier, more stylized looks.

I have used dozens and dozens of different products over the years and these are the few that I've found that work in my case. Everybody's hair is different. Everybody's requirements are different. If you don't have a professional stylist to consult I would recommend investing in travel-sized containers of anything that piques your curiosity. Try a few things until you find what works best.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Go old skool and use the thickest L. A. Looks gel they make.

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    My husband uses Got 2 Be glued water proof on his handelbar moustace and it holds through him working in a sweaty wearhouse. He says it dries like glue so be warned that it is a very strong hold.

• Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    You can get wax, which is like super-strong pomade. That might work.

This - I use wax and one tip I will offer is if you buy a water resistant wax you may have trouble actually washing it out. Just add shampoo to your dry hair in the shower and then wet it to wash it out. Works a treat!

• Options
    SubhumanSubhuman Overlord BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    If you want to spike your hair and keep a solid hold on it... use a mixture of clear elmers glue and bar soap (it will wash out the next day). Just gel, use ProStyl. Find it in Beauty Salons. Caution, prostyl does contain animal ingredients.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"- Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Subhuman wrote: »
    If you want to spike your hair and keep a solid hold on it... use a mixture of clear elmers glue and bar soap (it will wash out the next day).
    If you're going the do-it-yourself route, 1 packet of Knox gelatin dissolved into one quarter cup of very hot water is basically water soluble epoxy. It won't weaken without a long hot shower, or, if you're not trying to take it out, it will keep it's hold through said shower if you make a half-assed attempt to not keep your head under the shower head the whole time.

It is, however, probably overkill unless you've got a pretty tall mohawk/spikes.

• Options
    SubhumanSubhuman Overlord BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    that is overkill for any hawk lol

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"- Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Have you talked to the person who cuts your hair? Since we have absolutely no idea what's going on with you hairstyle-wise, they'd be the best to ask. I can tell you this though...

Stop using Axe.

Esh on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Do you have short hair that you're looking to spike/bedhead?

I really like Redken for Men - Maneuver styling wax. It's not terribly stiff, though, so if you've got longer hair it's not going to do the job. It smells good and won't sweat out.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    What exactly are you doing with your hair? If its something along the lines of spiking, I swear by got2b glued. I live in the stupidass Alabama heat so finding something resistant to sweat was a must.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    If i need my hair held for a long time where there might be some sweat (like a wedding), I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00362LGJ8/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01

For regular use (like going to work), I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LFHYOI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i04

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Which Axe product do you use? I use this stuff sometimes:
    079400115751.jpg

And it's fantastic. It doesn't sweat out, and it doesn't make your hair all hard and gross.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BayesianBayesian Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I was using this one
    axe_messylook.jpg
    I also used Alberto extreme style wax. I have shorter hair now, like Dwan's (my avatar). I asked my barber and he said, "it's all the same shit" haha so that wasn't helpful.

Anyway, I tried Got2B Glued and it's fantastic. Thanks guys.

Bayesian on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Seconding the pomade. I use pomade specifically because it's not a sticky goopy mess, leaves your hair touchable and light, but still holds a style, and doesn't run all over the place when you sweat.

I use the Axe Pomade in fact.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling