As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Has anyone used the Cicada yet? I've bought one but haven't tested it out yet. The speed is great, but your weapons seem to be limited. The new armor may help free some tonnage though.

Just made a 3C with triple AC/2s, was going to go with 4, but didn't like how much I'd have to drop in armor and engine size for it to fit with a reasonable amount of ammo.

I call it the JagerMite :D
    so whats all this DHS drama? patch notes say engines are automatically upgraded to DHS. but support monkeys say single in the engine + DHS added. what gives?

Engines are supose to upgrade to DHS, but Urdson says they don't.

Chances are that Urdson was told that the game currently treats engine heat sinks as single regardless of what they are suppose to be, and (hopfuly) made the mistake of thinking that was intentional rather than deliberate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    free patch, free game in which some people have invested up to $120.
    I'm not mad, I swear.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    annnnnd now im watching tv... :(

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    so how much is the -wang in real dollars? I probably shouldn't even look at it in case I get too tempted. Got to figure out how to continue building my dragon into the grand dragon first. :)

edit: ok looked. and it's about $16? hmm...

Orick on
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    somewhere around $15-$20 depending how many MechWarriorFunBucks you buy

is the new awesome variant as awesome as it looks?

Crazed Llama on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orick wrote: »
    so how much is the -wang in real dollars? I probably shouldn't even look at it in case I get too tempted. Got to figure out how to continue building my dragon into the grand dragon first. :)

I dunno if the values have been altered, but if they haven't, I think it's about 12 bucks? Far, far more than I would like for a single mech, but you also get a permanent 30% C-bill boost so it also could be considered a way to get Founder-like bonus for far cheaper.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    so much fucking bullshit with this patch, pre-re-preorder re-precancelled.

LRMS no longer collide with friendlies, no mech collision is fucking stupid. SRM6 on the jenner now fires like an SRM4 with an SRM2 fired like 1/2 second after. My framerate went from 60 solid to inconsistent drops to to about 40 for no reason. I've got an i5 2500k and a 680GTX, this shit should be (and has been up until now) in the bag.

Yeah, i noticed a FPS drop (when i used to be sitting on a consistent 50-60 before) to low 40's for no apparent reason.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    does any one know if there is a good source for all the different variant and their hardpoints/slots? I really need to think carefully before I spend my pitful 14 mill. It will probably barely buy me one decent mech and fit it all out properly.

I remember seeing something about a spreadsheet like 50 pages ago but can't find it. Wish I knew how to search a thread properly.

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular

I dunno if the values have been altered, but if they haven't, I think it's about 12 bucks? Far, far more than I would like for a single mech, but you also get a permanent 30% C-bill boost so it also could be considered a way to get Founder-like bonus for far cheaper.

have MC purchases gone permanent yet? or is that only happening once open beta hits?

if not, might as well buy the thing and test it out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Was just in a game and watched everybody get disconnected one by one, then the server went down.

I smell a hotfix of some kind.

• Options

have MC purchases gone permanent yet? or is that only happening once open beta hits?

if not, might as well buy the thing and test it out.

One more wipe before open beta, then premium time countdown starts for realzies (if you start it) and MC purchases become permanent.

• Options
    ok... i can understand the reasoning behind removing the CN9-AH, but its still a crap reason. theirs enough perks to the wang that they didnt need to remove the AH.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ok... i can understand the reasoning behind removing the CN9-AH, but its still a crap reason. theirs enough perks to the wang that they didnt need to remove the AH.

It just sets a bad precedent. Who knows what other canon, fully implemented 'mechs they're suddenly going to remove to push people towards a vaguely similar new Hero 'mech. Then will they give us BS about the lost 'mech having been "just a test vehicle?" At least have the decency to be honest with us: you dropped the CN9-AH to get more people to go for the YLW.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    By including the Japanese imperial flag in the official art of the YLW, PGI has displayed an incredible degree of callousness, or perhaps naïveté, towards Asia and its people.

The flag itself can be found to be aesthetically pleasing. But the same is said by many of the swastika. Its historical context cannot be denied, it represents, as the Swastika does, the darkest barbarities conceivable by humans upon one another. It represents mass murder, theft, rape, death, ********, malice, hatred, greed, and the blind willingness to completely butcher innocents.

With this in mind, I strongly recommend against using this flag under any circumstances. Although not everyone will react to it, those that will, and those that know, are likely to react with extreme hostility.

In short, edit the paint job or you're going to lose the China market and gain some very undesirable fans in Japan.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately they appear to have based the paint scheme on some old art from the BattleTech CCG, which I am guessing was done by a contracted artist who didn't know too much about the lore of the BT universe.

There is one novel which mentions YLW having a red and white paint scheme, but it's no more specific than that. The Japanese battle flag look is not a mistake that's original to PGI, but it's one that it would have been best if they had not repeated.

Incidentally versions of that flag are still used by the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force and as the Japanese naval ensign.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    does any one know if there is a good source for all the different variant and their hardpoints/slots? I really need to think carefully before I spend my pitful 14 mill. It will probably barely buy me one decent mech and fit it all out properly.

I remember seeing something about a spreadsheet like 50 pages ago but can't find it. Wish I knew how to search a thread properly.

Ohms Reference Sheets

tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Tox wrote: »
    By including the Japanese imperial flag in the official art of the YLW, PGI has displayed an incredible degree of callousness, or perhaps naïveté, towards Asia and its people.

The flag itself can be found to be aesthetically pleasing. But the same is said by many of the swastika. Its historical context cannot be denied, it represents, as the Swastika does, the darkest barbarities conceivable by humans upon one another. It represents mass murder, theft, rape, death, ********, malice, hatred, greed, and the blind willingness to completely butcher innocents.

With this in mind, I strongly recommend against using this flag under any circumstances. Although not everyone will react to it, those that will, and those that know, are likely to react with extreme hostility.

In short, edit the paint job or you're going to lose the China market and gain some very undesirable fans in Japan.

that's the official colour scheme of the YLW though, isn't it? Not PGI's own special design. It is kinda dumb because the YLW is supposed to be the Chinese god of underworld right? Not Japanese?

Orick on
  • Options
    Server back up, no hotfix apparently. :(

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

that's the official colour scheme of the YLW though, isn't it? Not PGI's own special design. It is kinda dumb because the YLW is supposed to be the Chinese god of underworld right? Not Japanese?

Ahahaha, yeah, because the stuff Japan did ages ago is so different from the horrible human rights violations China commits on its own people.

Selective ignorance is fun, isn't it?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Can anyone explain why I would ever pick the Jenner -K over the -D?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the -K has one fewer missle hardpoint, which makes the D variant unquestionably better.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Where the hardpoints are is also a point of concern.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    True, but I belive the D's abd K's hardpoints are all still in the same places.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, Awesome-9M with six medium pulse lasers and 35 single heat sinks can cause some havoc.

• Options

Ahahaha, yeah, because the stuff Japan did ages ago is so different from the horrible human rights violations China commits on its own people.

Selective ignorance is fun, isn't it?

huh? I assume you are talking to the guy I quoted, not me? Also keep in mind, the Japanese imprial army also invade a lot of other Asian countries beside China and committed war crime in a lot of other countries. So don't see where your comparison is coming from.

I was just saying it's a dumb design to have the YLW with the rising sun colour scheme when it's named after a Chinese god. But then again Justin Allard is descented from Federated Suns which has a sun burst logo.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    this update totally fucked my launcher performance, used to be smooth as silk, just took me 30 seconds to swap out one heat sink as i watched the little windows swirly circle thing go around waiting for it to respond.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    So someone help me out here, what should I do to fit out my Atlas with the new systems in play?

DHS, Ferro, Endosteel, etc. WAT DO

Is DHS bugged or not? :O

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    It is so fucking bugged.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Infidel wrote: »
    So someone help me out here, what should I do to fit out my Atlas with the new systems in play?

If your running an atlas and usually run out of crit slots, avoid all three. If you have a ton of free crit slots, Either endo steel or ferro fibrous may be a better bet mostly due to how many crit slots DHS take up anyhow.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

If your running an atlas and usually run out of crit slots, avoid all three. If you have a ton of free crit slots, Either endo steel or ferro fibrous may be a better bet mostly due to how many crit slots DHS take up anyhow.

Endosteel would basically give me free tonnage at the expense of critical slots, but ferro fibrous can let me have a higher total effective armour and not just less tonnage spent on armour?

Trying to not blow through all my C-bills experimenting on potentially bleh systems. <3

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why I would ever pick the Jenner -K over the -D?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the -K has one fewer missle hardpoint, which makes the D variant unquestionably better.

k comes with ff armour for not much c bill difference?

• Options
    Hrm, FF = 12% more protection per ton (unclear on whether it has the same tonnage max and so higher potential protection, or if you have 80 points of protection say and it just weighs less, I am assuming the latter), Endosteel = 5% off maximum tonnage freed up, both for cost of 14 slots.

So that works out to gaining back ~2 tons at the top end from FF, or 5 tons from ES.

Am I missing something or is ES the nobrainer if I'm choosing one over the other?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

Endosteel would basically give me free tonnage at the expense of critical slots, but ferro fibrous can let me have a higher total effective armour and not just less tonnage spent on armour?

Trying to not blow through all my C-bills experimenting on potentially bleh systems. <3

Ferro-fibrous gives you more points of armor for the same weight. IIRC in the tabletop game it is 16 points per ton for regular armor and 18 for ferro-fibrous. The total amount (in points) of armor you can have in total or on any one location still doesn't change. So assuming you have the same weight of armor, FF just gives you a slight boost in protection, or you can achieve the same level of protection but use a little bit less weight on armor. IMO it is rarely worth it, it rarely was in the TT game. If you're going to sacrifice 14 critical spaces, endo steel gives you a much bigger benefit by freeing more up more tonnage.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Ferro-fibrous gives you more points of armor for the same weight. IIRC in the tabletop game it is 16 points per ton for regular armor and 18 for ferro-fibrous. The total amount (in points) of armor you can have in total or on any one location still doesn't change. So assuming you have the same weight of armor, FF just gives you a slight boost in protection, or you can achieve the same level of protection but use a little bit less weight on armor. IMO it is rarely worth it, it rarely was in the TT game. If you're going to sacrifice 14 critical spaces, endo steel gives you a much bigger benefit by freeing more up more tonnage.

Gonna start with Endo and go from there then, thanks.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Jacks_ColonJacks_Colon Registered User regular
    I'm getting home in 2 hours, I DEMAND all of you to be playing when I log on.

Speaking of which did they also nerf group numbers?

yIsJU.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    No matchmaking changes as of yet.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    I'm getting home in 2 hours, I DEMAND all of you to be playing when I log on.

Speaking of which did they also nerf group numbers?

Groups can actually have 9 members now!(sometimes, and it won't let you actually launch)

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »

Gonna start with Endo and go from there then, thanks.

Endo is great if you have the room, FF is... expensive.

So far i've been still breaking even in my Centurion (even on a loss and being utterly destroyed) but its alot less... like, the biggest repair bill i've had is 120k.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    they screwed with engine weights. XL245 was 8 tons, now its 11...

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Jacks_ColonJacks_Colon Registered User regular
    Did anyone else find the new mechlab interface a little clunky? It might be because I was in a hurry the little time I had with it. It seemed like the pop-up telling me my changes wouldn't be saved got a little annoying. Again this may be because I was rushing to build a mech before I had to go to work

yIsJU.png
  • Options
    they screwed with engine weights. XL245 was 8 tons, now its 11...

Yeah. Another screwy undocumented change.