As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Media - Roku?

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My son wants a cheap streaming media box for his room since we won't let him have cable on his TV (he has a VCR/DVD combo with an old SDTV). All he wants it for is Netflix and Youtube. I see that Roku doesn't support Youtube so I was thinking about going for a cheap $40 Walmart Dlink MovieNite box because it would meet what he wants. However, I then read that people can put unofficial things onto a Roku sort of like rooting a phone I guess.

Given the better name, I'd much rather get a Roku if it can actually do youtube...or another 3rd option if folks have/recommend another brand or device.

Any recommendations or information?

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I bought a Google box, and does what you want plus things like Amazon streaming. It also has full Internet access which you may not want if he's not allowed to have cable.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i just bought an LG smart TV upgrader for like $60. it does netflix, hulu+, pandora and plays movies from a media server. I haven't actually received it/turned it on yet, so i'm can't give a thumbs up/down.

• Options
    Thanks folks - it's not that we don't want him watching the content of cable, we're more that we don't want him in his room just watching tv all the time (and we don't want to pay for a 2nd Directv box as well). He brings my Netbook into his room all the time so I'd be fine with a webbrowser being built in. I think we may end up going with the cheap one just because the other ones that are tempting, like the LG one, don't have SDTV support and I'm not ready to replace his TV (I think that might be something this Christmas though).

Honestly, the alternative was a cheap used Wii but his room is a bit too small for the gameplay.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    Roku has a YouTube channel available. Its rudimentary but it works.

• Options
    Really? I had been told Roku had no Youtube. If it has even the most basic version I'd probably go Roku. I'll have to look into it - I suppose if I get it at Walmart or someplace similar I can always return it if it doesn't have the channels I need.

Thanks!

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I don't think Roku has an official YouTube channel. Everything I've seen have been custom channels or PlayOn. When I was taking a hard look at Roku to replace cable I came across PlayOn (and lua scripts). Although PlayOn has a fair amount of content I found the interface lacking, and it wouldn't stream my mkvs.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    Oh, weird.
    http://streamfree.tv/roku/no-youtube/

Ive been using that youtube channel for almost 2 years. I had no idea it was unofficial or should have been removed.

For some reason, mine still works and i still watch youtube on my roku.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I use a Roku with Netflix (& Amazon Prime) sans the cable/satellite connection. It's definitely not the same experience, as the general inability to channel surf easily combined with the lack of commercials means that you are generally much more of an "active" watcher. I rarely spend time in front of my TV unless there is something specific I have in mind to watch for a set period of time.

That being said, it's still possible to get sucked in, as Netflix streaming makes it really easy to do marathon runs of TV series. I ran through Louie and 30 Rock really quickly, and am currently starting up Dr. Who (omg first season so horrible second season starting out moderately better). Also something to keep in mind is that the Netflix streaming library is quite limited due to how copyright laws work. You won't find as much breadth or recency as you might expect, particularly for extremely popular shows that continue to sell well on DVD or are still actively ongoing. Again, that might be a good thing considering what you intend your son to be doing with the television. I've personally found myself gravitating towards catching up on popular documentaries, as the library is much more extensive in that section of the library.

In all honesty, the lack of easy TV access is probably a good thing for your son. I'm not seeing the benefit of having a TV in his room unless you want him to: a) watch more TV and/or b) spend more time in his room. Regarding content control, there is certainly some out-there stuff you can find via private channels, but the amount of work involved in finding them and watching them without having your dad being able to easily see them show up on your channel scroll is way more effort than it's worth. You're better off just searching for that stuff on, say, the internet. I believe the Roku has some parental control options anyway (i.e., people can't add channels without a special password), so you should be fine in that department.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I got rid of Cable and use my Roku for Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Nasa. Also Pandora when going to bed.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Kind of a side topic but he had a tv for dvds so we don't always lose out big tv for spongebob and icarly...plus he has a ps2 he was handed down from my mom. We already pay for netflix so we figure it makes more sense to get a box to let him watch in there rather than buy more dvds for his room. He's an only child and a bit attached to us in terms of always wanting to be around us so actually we are trying to encourage him to visit his room more often...

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I got 2 youngsters, and given your reqs I'd go for the old wii, or elsewise a modern game console since they have non-dumb UI's.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    and am currently starting up Dr. Who (omg first season so horrible second season starting out moderately better).

Come on, Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper make it suffer-able. But yeah, it's pretty bad. I just got hooked a couple months back and by Season 3 they really hit their stride.

But yeah, What Inquisitor mentioned is true, it's easy to get hooked on a marathon night. I just got pulled into Sons of Anarchy and have been watching whenever I have a spare minute at home. I've even put Dr. Who on hold right now until I finish Season 1.

Also, I have a Magnavox Blu-Ray player with Netflix connected to an SDTV. It's horrible but it works. I had bought my ex a Roku and had that in the bedroom, that thing was fantastic and I'd buy another if I could find that same SD model but it's been discontinued.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    My brother got that Dlink Movienite thing. It was horrible, and he returned it.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Just got the LG one, it's quite nice.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    and am currently starting up Dr. Who (omg first season so horrible second season starting out moderately better).

Come on, Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper make it suffer-able.

Not to derail, but the statement above is empirically, objectively false. :P

• Options

Come on, Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper make it suffer-able.

Not to derail, but the statement above is empirically, objectively false. :P

I actually liked their run as well.

Thanks for the tip on the dlink thing - maybe I'll point him towards another brand. The challenge has been cheap + youtube + sdtv.