As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any Warhammer 40k News?

ExzodiumExzodium Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
And by that, I mean Dawn of War 3 or Dark Millennium. Last thing I heard, there was supposed to be something at Gamescon, but that was a no show. Going to THQ's website reveals nothing and Vigil Games is just showcasing Darksiders II.

If any one knows anything I will crown you king of the Inquisitors until Matt Ward unleashes Lord Kaldor Draigo to smack your status away into the warp.

Legalize Stim Packs
Exzodium on

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Relic has more or less closed down, as I understand it. @Matrias would probably know best.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope so. However, they announced a while ago that Dark Millenium is becoming more of an arena/battlefieldesque shooter.

I am hoping to God that Planetside 2 does extremely well, so THQ/People with the War40k license say
    "Hey, that did great, we have all these great locations, races, weapons, and armies, let's do that, but put in a dynamic melee mechanic, and turn everything else up to the fucking eleven"

• Options
    Yeah I remember hearing about the shift in change for Dark Millenium, and I am hoping that it is a fast action type of game the way Space Marine is but only better.

Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    why would relic have closed down? theyre doing coh2!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

They laid off a ton of people, I sort of assumed it was mostly a skeleton crew. Forgot about CoH2 though.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    nah they have at least 3 teams

i believe they shredded the team that made space marine, but the coh2 team and the "unannounced project" team are still going strong

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

I think they are closing down the CoH 1 multi and/or CoH Online, if I remember right. Maybe he though that was the end of the company instead of multiplayer for that game?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Space Marine was what got me interested in 40K, and ultimately what made me buy Dawn of War II. They should continue the Space Marine series.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I am interested in the story of 40k only through the games and the Sandy Mitchell/Dan Abnett books.

So hearing we probably won't get Dawn of War 3 is very discouraging.

• Options
    No they announced that there will be a Dawn of War 3, I read that on Kotaku awhile back. What I was looking for was just any new info about it or DM.

Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Space Marine was what got me interested in 40K, and ultimately what made me buy Dawn of War II. They should continue the Space Marine series.

I've been into 40K since I bought this giant collection of short stories. I've never been terribly good at RTSs so I used to watch my buddy play DoW, and thought it looked awesome. Space Marine was the game I'd been waiting for.

Sprinting full speed into a group of Orks that are overrunning an Imperial Guard position, watching the bodies fly, grabbing one and wrecking its shit with your chainsword, and mowing down the last few with your bolter is a tremendous feeling without equal.

I really hope more Space Marine/40K TPSs come out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Sprinting full speed into a group of Orks that are overrunning an Imperial Guard position, watching the bodies fly, grabbing one and wrecking its shit with your chainsword, and mowing down the last few with your bolter is a tremendous feeling without equal.

That and punching a nobs face off is just badassery on every level.

Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    From what I understand the layoffs were to a portion of the team making dark millennium as they switched its focus from an MMO to a game more like Space Marine and didn't need as many people. They ditched the MMO idea but apparently kept a lot of the assets and simply switched focus.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    wait i thought vigil were making dark millennium?

ah apparently being made by both:

http://kotaku.com/5897540/warhammer-40000-dark-millennium-goes-single+player-as-layoffs-hit-relic-and-vigil

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    wait i thought vigil were making dark millennium?

ah apparently being made by both:

http://kotaku.com/5897540/warhammer-40000-dark-millennium-goes-single+player-as-layoffs-hit-relic-and-vigil

Vigil was the main dev but I think both companies had a hand in it, especially as relic has made a ton of 40k games.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Relic has more or less closed down, as I understand it. @Matrias would probably know best.
    This isn't true. They did downsize (including, uh, me) but they're developing CoH2 and have some other stuff on the go. Things sound pretty optimistic right now, from what I've heard.

They're still owned by THQ, so what happens to one will affect the other. Tho I like what Jason Rubin's doing and wouldn't write off the parent company.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Dawn of War 1 got me interested in the series. And only because the box cover. The demo was great too, but those screenies were delicious. Space Marine was good, and I'm reading Horus Heresy right now.

I hope they make Planetside: Warhammer 40k, or someone makes Warhammer 40k: Total War.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    If @Croak is still around he may be able to shed some light on what's going on, but he likely won't say what hasn't been announced, he was the senior designer for Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    We had a forumer who was design lead?

• Options
    What do we have to sacrifice to summon this dark god?

Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Croak hasn't been around in a few months.

• Options
    Croak hasn't been around in a few months.

He hasn't posted in a few months, His profile says he was last active earlier today.

• Options
    By the way Gerbil what the hell is that Dred spinning?

Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Looks like an Alpha Legion traitor marine.

So traitor he's not traitor. /headasplode

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    The DoW 1 crab Chaos dreads were a lot more awesome than the DoW2 Chaos dread

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Those are Defilers. They are different from Chaos Dreads. Where a Dread is a warrior placed inside a machine, a Defiler is controlled by a Demon or at least that is what it says on the Lexicanum.

Exzodium on
    Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I doubt we're going to be hearing anything more on DoW 3 until CoH is out, or at least a lot further along. Right now I think that's just their priority.

EDIT: Also, I know Croak worked on DoW2, but I don't think he was design lead was he? He never did want to say exactly what his role was on the games, and when he made that clear we basically stopped asking.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    subedii wrote: »
    I doubt we're going to be hearing anything more on DoW 3 until CoH is out, or at least a lot further along. Right now I think that's just their priority.

EDIT: Also, I know Croak worked on DoW2, but I don't think he was design lead was he? He never did want to say exactly what his role was on the games, and when he made that clear we basically stopped asking.

He stated he was the senior designer, and his name was John Capozzi. If you check the DoW 2 credits, that is what it shows up as too. He mentioned this when he first showed up. He's not the design lead, he was the senior designer. Lead Designer was Daniel Kading.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Ah OK.

IIRC Egon used to come around here on occasion as well didn't he? Or was that some other Relic related forum?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dear THQ,

Please make a co-op ARPG where me & friends get to play as an Inquisitorial band tearing ass around the galaxy and investigating & purging heresy.

Love,
    Me

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dear THQ,

Please make a co-op ARPG where me & friends get to play as an Inquisitorial band tearing ass around the galaxy and investigating & purging heresy.

Love,
    Me

I think there is a Pen and Paper game that has you doing that.

Legalize Stim Packs