As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dixit] Let's all play Dixit, it is so cool everyone

weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heartRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Critical Failures
Let's play: Dixit!
572ccbfb.jpg

The Rules:

Each turn, the Storyteller (a different player each turn) places an image from their collection down in secret, so no one else can see. They then say a phrase that they believe goes with this image - it can be a made-up sentence, a proverb, song lyrics, a cultural reference, even just a sound.

Players then secretly add images from their collections that they think match the sentence given by the Storyteller. These are mixed up so no one knows who played what, and then revealed.

Lastly, all players (except the Storyteller) vote on which image they believe the Storyteller played. Points are awarded: if at least one player (but not all) have correctly identified the Storyteller's image, the Storyteller gets 3 points, and so do the players who found the image.

If all of the players - or none of the players - correctly identify the Storyteller's image, the Storyteller gets no points, but everyone else gets two.

If someone votes for your image and you are not the Storyteller, you get one point for each vote that was placed on your image.

We keep playing until all the images (there are 84) have been drawn. The player with the most points wins!
======================

In Depth:

As the referee, I'm in charge of sending out everyone's images. When you send me an image below, it's gone from your hand. Ignore it forever!

When you're the Storyteller, PM me back one of your images and tell me the phrase you've provided for it. Then, post in the thread announcing your phrase (or song lyric, or sound, or whatever.)

When you're the player, after the phrase has been announced, PM me one of the images from your hand along with the phrase in question (so I can keep track).

I'll then reveal all of the images. Once that happens: Storyteller, you just chill. Players, you all send me your votes. The images will be numbered, so just tell me what number you vote for (but don't tell the other players just yet!)

Afterwards, I'll reveal votes, as well as reveal who played what. I'll then pass out points. You're free then to discuss what the phrase meant, general tabletalk, etc. etc.

I'm not using the actual artwork from the Dixit game! These are images I've found elsewhere. The artwork from the actual game is beautiful, though, and I encourage you to look it up, or even buy the game. It's seriously beautiful.
======================

Sign as per usual: something colorful ( !signed ). Taking 6 players, need at least 3.

ROSTER:

- Fidoh: 18
- Kilnaga: 14
- lonelyahava: 13
- ObiFett: 22
- stever777: 16
- texasheat: 7

weirdspaceships on

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Ohh, ohh, pretty pictures and I can use song lyrics? I'm in!

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    FidohFidoh BelgiumRegistered User regular
    I love Dixit.

I know that I'm not exactly well known on these boards, so I understand if you want to put someone before me.

• Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    Fidoh wrote: »
    I love Dixit.

I know that I'm not exactly well known on these boards, so I understand if you want to put someone before me.

Neither am I!

FYI, I don't have access to the actual DiXit art, so I'm using appropriate fanciful images. Otherwise, all the same!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Always wanted to try this

• Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    That's three players! I'll leave recruitment open until late tomorrow. It's much better with more people, so let's try for just a few more! Three more signups, hooraaaaaaaaay

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm not signing up but I just wanted to say that Dixit is awesome and godspeed you guys.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I'd rather not play with just three players.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'll signup if you're wanting to get the game off the ground quickly, but I've played before in person so I'll happily cede my seat to a new player.

Also I am awful at this game.

Edit: Texas gets my seat. Have fun! :D

Tayrun on
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Signup, and i've never played this before. But it looks like alot of fun.

texasheat on
  • Options
    Looks like we're full! Fidoh, are you withdrawing?

I'll have hands sent out today, and then I'll post when we're ready.

• Options
    Okay, everyone's hands have been sent out! Here's the turn order:

1. Fidoh
    2. Kilnaga
    3. lonelyahava
    4. ObiFett
    5. stever777
    6. texasheat

Which means Fidoh is our first Storyteller! Fidoh, send me one of your images along with a phrase. It can be a sentence, a word, song lyrics, whatever in the world. Once I have that, I'll tell the rest of you schmucks the phrase, and then you all send me in one of your images which you think matches the phrase.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    It was pointed out to me that the French pronounciation of 'Dixit' could be "dee-seet"... or Deceit.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Ok, are we not sharing our images here? I thought there was a voting thing on who submitted the best or closest....maybe i'm still a bit confused...sorry

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, Fidoh needs to give us his "story" that matches his image first.

Then, we all submit one of our images that we think matches that "story" best. This is done through PM to weirdspaceships.

Finally, we are shown all the images (not knowing whose picture are which) and we individually vote on which one we think matches the story best.

Scoring is based on that voting.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Hmmmm....ok well, i think i get it. Well see, first round might be more about understanding than anything.....i'll ask more if i get confused at any point. Thanks for explaining so far though,

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Since it doesn't matter if we wait for weirdspaceships to post it or if I post the sentence/song/interpretative dance myself... This will be the hint for the first picture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5IW9wK_HNg

What you need to do now is send weirdspaceships your picture which most closely resembles or reminds you of that hint. Don't post it in the thread. We are not supposed to know who sent in which picture.

Fidoh on
  • Options
    What Fidoh said.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    hmmm.

this looks like it should be rather interesting. and potentially hilarious.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Damn, sad I missed this. I love Dixit! Reserve up/sign up for game 2 (if there is one)

• Options
    blachmcblah: noted!

Once more, here's the clue, from Fidoh:

http://youtu.be/i5IW9wK_HNg

= = = = = = = = =

Okay guys, here's the images! Take a look at them first. Don't tell anyone which is yours!

NUMBER ONE
    1oyyr.jpg

NUMBER TWO
    cJhHp.jpg

NUMBER THREE
    l9HLX.jpg

NUMBER FOUR
    hZQJQ.jpg

NUMBER FIVE
    NEFi7.jpg

NUMBER SIX
    OPnKD.jpg

= = = = = = = = =

Now it's time to vote! The Storyteller, obviously, does not get to vote. Everyone else, you need to PM me the number of the image you're voting for. You're trying to deduce: which image did Fidoh play?

Fidoh, as Storyteller, if at least one person selects your image, you get +3 points! Hooray! The people who selected your image also get +3 points! I'll update the OP with this information once points are earned.

However, if none of the players pick your image, you get no points, and everyone else gets +2 points. The same applies if everyone picks your image - you get nothing, they get +2.

And, of course, if someone picks your image, and you are not the Storyteller, you get +1 point for each vote you received!

The idea here, as I think Fidoh pulled off very well, is to not be too opaque, but not too vague either. You don't want to be totally obvious that everyone knows it was you, but you don't want to be so cryptic that no one knows what the hell you're getting at.

Send me your votes! Number please!

• Options
    Ohh, ohh, they just played Dixit on Table Top as well. :P

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Ok i voted. But i gotta say, there were several that i think applied that that "story"......

• Options
    My vote's in.

• Options
    The votes are in!

NUMBER FIVE
    Kilnaga
    stever777
    ObiFett

NUMBER SIX
    lonelyahava
    texasheat

Fidoh's image?

NUMBER FIVE!

NEFi7.jpg

So, since at least one person (but not all) voted for Number Five, Fidoh gets +3 points. Kilnaga, stever777, and ObiFett also get +3 points.

ObiFett's image was number six, which nets him +2 points (+1 per vote!)

Which brings us to:

Fidoh: 3
    Kilnaga: 3
    lonelyahava: 0
    ObiFett: 5
    stever777: 3
    texasheat: 0

ObiFett takes the lead! I'll update the OP, and then send out more images in the morning. After that, it'll be Kilnaga's turn as Storyteller. But wait until tomorrow, Kilnaga, so you get your new image!

• Options
    as i'm on different time zones, my votes, etc might seem late to you guys.

but i'll try to get them in as soon as i can in the morning.

• Options
    ^ Same. I'm European.

• Options
    i'm in kiwiland.

it's just after midnight.

the only reason i'm conscious is because i thought there might be a new round to play.

i'm going to go pass out now. night night.

• Options
    Alright, everyone should be good to go.

Kilnaga, you're up as Storyteller! Post a clue, then PM me which image you're using.

• Options
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    And here are the images:

NUMBER ONE
    c4SSL.jpg

NUMBER TWO
    XHvRn.jpg

NUMBER THREE
    jNiyK.jpg

NUMBER FOUR
    5qnpE.jpg

NUMBER FIVE
    JkHh5.jpg

NUMBER SIX
    HJG2g.jpg

Everyone, let's have your votes!

• Options
    Pretty sure it could be any of those.

Good job everyone. This should be interesting.

• Options
    So many boats...

Playing Dixit with youtube videos as clues looks fun. :)

• Options
    It was pointed out to me that the French pronounciation of 'Dixit' could be "dee-seet"... or Deceit.

"Deceit" from English a la Francaise - n. tromperie, fraude
    "Dixit" from French to English - (Latin) utterance

• Options
    played this today with some of our friends.

i lost, but was still fun!

• Options
    Votes are in!

Kilnaga's image was...

NUMBER THREE!

http://i.imgur.com/jNiyK.jpg

Let's see how the votes went.

For number one:
    Fidoh
    ObiFett
    texasheat

For number two:
    stever777

For number three:
    lonelyahava

That means that Kilnaga gets +3 points, and so does lonelyahava.

stever777 owned Number One, so gets +3 points for each vote attached to it. Be sure to tell Fidoh, ObiFett, and texasheat thank you!

And finally, lonelyahava owned Number Two, and so gets +1 point due to stever777's vote. Which brings the grand total up to...

- Fidoh: 3
    - Kilnaga: 6
    - lonelyahava: 4
    - ObiFett: 5
    - stever777: 6
    - texasheat: 0

Images are being uploaded as we speak. When they're ready, lonelyahava, you are the new Storyteller!

• Options
    High-Five @lonelyahava

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Damnitttt

• Options
    It may be a misunderstanding on my part....it may be that i can't read the score card correctly.....but it appears....that i suck horribly at this particual game....