As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Dragon Force - PROLOGUE: Queen Teiris of Palemoon

HematophiliaHematophilia Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
dragon_force_saturn_cover.jpg?w=950

Hello everybody! Hematophilia here, with my second attempt at a Let's Play of Dragon Force. First of all, for those who remembers my first attempt when I played as Gongos, I apologize, my laptop had some sort of accident and I lost the save data. I probably should've mentioned it in my previous thread, but... yeah.

Anyway! My recent acquisition of the Dragon Force remake on my PS3 inspired me to return from the dead and attempt to take you through the game once again. But first of all, I need you, the viewers, to chose my destiny.

I need to figure out whether I'll be playing the PS2 remake, or the good ol' Saturn version.

Pro's and con's:

(PLAYSTATION 2)
+ Sweet ass makeover. Graphics are about the same, but the portraits and events are usually more pleasing to the eye.
+ Two new events ( Extra bosses )
+ Voice acting!
-No debug mode. (No playing as Tradnor or Fandaria)
- It's all in Japanese, so next to no story telling.
- All screenshots would be taken from my iPhone, which will reduce image quality.

(SEGA SATURN)
+ It's in English.
+ Superior image quality (Screenshots from my Computer)
+ May use Debug mode to immediately start a game as one of the two secret characters.
- Will not be able to play the extra events. That's honestly the only flaw I can find.

Also, I leave the Leader selection up to you. I am ready to play as anyone but Junon, since cj iwakura already completed a LP as the Empire of Tristan.

THE KINGDOMS AND THEIR LEADERS.

I will list all leaders (except Junon) here, the difficulty of their scenario, their ranking out of 7 in terms of leader strength (7 being weakest and 1 strongest), and general information I find important to share with you. For all you Dragon Force players, this is strictly my opinion. If you disagree with my rankings, by all means, comment below and share your views.

dragonforce-map.jpg
This is Legendra, the continent we will be conquering!

02c6c7de.jpg
Main troops: Soldiers
Difficulty: 4/10
Strength: 7/7 (Pitiful defense, below average CMD rating, terrible spells)

The thing I find interesting about Dragon Force is that the "main character" in this game isn't, in fact, the most powerful. He is a surprisingly weak leader. In addition to his awful CMD rating, Wein is a Knight with below average health, and sports an army of soldiers, which is inferior to samurais in every way imaginable. However, his starting location is easily defendable with only two choke points to the north and to the west, and he has powerful officers supporting him in Galam and Rudger.

ea71e0f9.jpg
Main troops: Archers
Difficulty: 5/10
Strength: 5/7 (Worst CMD of all leaders and weakest in terms of defense, but makes up for it with her ridiculous spells)

In a run where I intend on keeping my original troops instead of switching to a more powerful army, Teiris would be a nightmare to play. Archers are easily the weakest troops in the game, being weak to just about everything except Monks and Harpies. Teiris isn't very impressive, unless you make use of her spells, Trident's Daughter and Dark Vortex, which may single handedly wipe out an entire army of 80-100 with good timing. Her storyline is rather difficult at first, but as you level your starting officers, you end up with a very well-rounded army.

90fcbcd9.jpg
Main troops: Samurais
Difficulty: 6/10
Strength: 3/7 (Very good CMD, powerful troops, well rounded ATK and Defense, excellent crowd-clearing spells)
Mikhal doesn't seem to have any weaknesses, honestly. Samurais are, in my opinion, the most balanced and useful troops in the game, being the only ones who can take on Dragons. The only bad thing about his scenario is that all officers of Izumo begins with Samurais, and in addition, the obtainable generals surrounding your capital are also samurai users. Thus, our army would be poor in diversity at the beginning of the game. This is a bad thing; if you look closely at the map posted above, you'll see that Izumo's northern neighbors are the Fandarians, who are mainly cavalry and mage users. Cavalry tends to wipe samurais out without an effort.

95ed0246.jpg
Main troops: Monks
Difficulty: 4/10
Strength: 4/7 (Highest strength in the game, good CMD, suffers from lack of crowd-clearing options.)
Monks are awesome. That is all. Leon stands a better chance at fighting Fandaria back than Izumo, since Monks are both cavalry and mage killers. He has decent officers at his command with troops ranging from monks, samurais, mages to archers. His starting location may seem terrible at first, but we could have the power required to push back 3 kingdoms at once.

54c26f92.jpg
Main troops: Beasts
Difficulty: 5/10
Strength: 6/7 (Great Strength, average CMD, horrible intelligence, no Crowd clearing abilities at all.)
+++: Comedy.
If it wasn't for the comedy factor, Gongos would have the most boring scenario of all 8. All of his starting officers tend to be on the weak side, except Katt, the one officer who does not control Beasts. Gongos begins in a very difficult location to defend and is constantly bombarbed by samurais from the north, who are good against Beasts. In addition, if you wish to expand to the east, you are stuck fighting against Wein's soldiers, who are also good at killing beasts. However, nothing your gracious host can't handle. :)

The following two characters are secret characters that I may only play on the saturn version.
e3f919c5.jpg
Main troops: Mages
Difficulty: 8/10
Strength: 2/7 (Great CMD, Godlike Crowd clearing abilities. His only weaknesses are his poor defense and starting troops.)
I loves me some Reinhart. He is my favorite leader to play, and he also tends to be funny every now and then. Reinhart begins the game with 8 officers, 2 of them being dragonmen users. You start with the most powerful army of all legendra, and for a good reason, too. Tradnor is in the middle of the continent, so you are attacked from all sides at once. It's a shame I don't really like his scenario, since Highland is scripted to expand ridiculously fast, to the point he may hold the entire continent within 10-15 turns.

e9d240f5.jpg
Main troops: Cavalry
Difficulty: 2/10
Strength: 1/7 (Great CMD, Excellent Crowd clearing, though a bit situational. All of his stats are above average. Acceptable starting troops.)
Playing as Fandaria is almost unfair, but it is, in my opinion, the most interesting storyline. You play with the most overpowered army of the entire game, with some unexpected allies joining your side later on, and you actually play as the bad guys. ...Or are you?

And last but not least, here are some rules I will be following during my let's play:

- Never abandon a castle. If I am outnumbered and certain to lose, I'll fight anyway.
- Never use troop crests. In Dragon Force, if you conduct a search in a castle during your domestic affairs, there is a chance you may find a Troop crest. That way, you could give all of your leaders Harpies, Zombies and Dragons and make them plain unstoppable... and the game became far too easy as a result. For the final fights, I may have to give new troops to Teiris and/or Reinhart. If I do, I'll pick something average such as soldiers or cavalry. But that is only if I struggle too much with their long range armies.
-Never chase down enemies retreating. It makes the game shorter, and again, too easy.

If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to post. Until next time!

Feel the heat that is but a glimmer of eternal torment!
Hematophilia on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Heck, let's make this interesting. Teiris.

Also voting Saturn version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Alright, so one for Teiris! Anyone else?

• Options
    edited September 2012

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    Gongos, because "Bozack Nation" sounds like a biker metal band fan club.

• Options
    So right now 1 for Teiris and Gongos, and 1 for Saturn.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I also vote Teiris and Saturn. Lets see you suffer with Archers until you get those army-wiping spells! :p

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alright then, Teiris it is. This is going to get real nasty... :|

• Options
    Have a look at the opening intro while I begin my game as Teiris.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2CnyJ7FH5Y

• Options
    Chapter 1 - Prologue: Queen Teiris of Palemoon
    Palemoon Castle, Y1, M1, W1

The song playing: 8afe0dda.jpg
    7109e98d.png Moto, Chancellor of Palemoon: Lord Goldark seems very ambitious...
    87472be5.png Manoa: As Palemoon's new queen, your obligation to rally the nation in the face of threat has just increased ten-fold!
    41f5d78b.png Teiris: But, will I be able to play the big part of queen? I feel so...brittle.

Manoa: The fact that you were chosen, Teiris, was not an accident. is it possible that you don't see it? Oh, Lady Teiris, the latent abilities hidden within you... far away and transcend those of the average elf.

Teiris: They...they do?

Moto: At the ceremony of the New Moon, your popularity rose. Public support is just one factor in choosing a monarch. In fact, the Elders have more to say about who is crowned than any amount of popularity. They spotted you, Teiris... The Elders could sense your latent powers. For queen, their vote was unanimous in recommending you.

Manoa: Teiris, we're sure that if you played a central role in bringing Palemoon together, it will be possible to face and to repel any threat the Fandarian Empire brings to us.

Teiris: Emperor Goldark... They call him the 'Mad Lion'. They say there is none other like him in Legendra.

Moto: The strength of Goldark cannot even be estimated. Ten years ago, at the battle of Tristan, Tristan's king, Toregar, was even beaten by him.

Manoa: As if Goldark wasn't enough, there is the company he keeps. A strange evil priest, Gaul, hovers about him constantly. He is a schemer, that one. You have to be careful of him.

Moto: About the time Goldark rose to the throne of Fandaria, there occured the deaths of other kings of the realm... in a suspiciously short span of time! Though each king appeared to die a natural death, taken together, I'd say it was highly unnatural! We think Goldark was somehow behind it all.

Teiris: I wonder... a great scheme like that, could Fandaria do it without some outside help? It makes me think, there is more here than meets the eye.

62b8c4e2.png: And the wisdom of our new queen begins to bloom...

Moto: Queen Farla....

Teiris: Farla! You call the name of the first queen of elves?

Farla: Goldark aside, we know that Gaul works for the dark god, Madruk.

Moto: Madruk!

Manoa: He pushed Legendra to the edge of destruction 300 years ago!

Farla: Recently, goddess Astea's influence has waned... you all must have noticed this in some way, I'm certain. Have you also noticed then, the subtle increase... in the powers of darkness?

Teiris: The restless noises of the forests, recently!

Farla: Gaul and his cronies are trying to raise Madruk again. No matter what it takes, that must be prevented! And it will take the only ones who can hope to defeat him: The Eight Warriors of the Dragon Force.

Teiris: Eight Warriors of the Dragon....?

Farla: The ones chosen by Astea to inherit Harsgalt's power. They are the Dragon Force. To start with, Teiris, you must search for them. In this war-torn world, it may be hard to find them, but Teiris, if those eight do not come together in spirit, the defeat of Madruk will become a hopeless dream.

b8cc365c.jpg

Teiris: We are destined to find the Eight Warriors. And, if war makes it difficult to complete that search, then we shall put an end to the war!

Farla: That's the spirit, Teiris! For the sake of Legendra, do not give in!

Teiris: I shall not.

Next chapter: Domestic affairs, and the Battle of Orvue!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: Triple post.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: Twiple post

Hematophilia on