As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teach me about tea!

AurinAurin Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I like tea, for the most part (my best experience with tea has been Arizona green tea in the big bottle). But, I wanted to try hot tea, so I just bought a Hot Tea Maker, but all the tea I seem to make is very bitter.

I have these little Lipton green tea with honey packets that I'm using, and I'm trying milk in my tea right now, but it's still pretty bitter. I know there was a pretty good sized tea thread in here a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Basically, I just want some good recommendations on what kinds of tea to make. :)

Aurin on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Starbucks has a Green tea with ginger. It's SOOOOOOO GOOOD.
    I have a box in my kitchen.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn, if the search was actually working, I'd reference you to the Mega tea thread we had here in H&A not more than a month ago. If anyone can find it, that's the thread to read.

In the meantime, probably the reason the tea is tasting so bitter is because you're leaving it to steep for too long. Although green tea is supposed to be bitter, leaving it in for more than 4 or 5 minutes causes it to get really bitter. I'm picky - I usually only leave it in for about 2 or 3 minutes.

You can also try less-potent versions, like White tea. If I'm not in the mood for the bitterness, white tea is a great alternative.

As a final note, I don't know how people can put milk in green tea. To me, it just doesn't work.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cycophant wrote: »
    Damn, if the search was actually working, I'd reference you to the Mega tea thread we had here in H&A not more than a month ago. If anyone can find it, that's the thread to read.

In the meantime, probably the reason the tea is tasting so bitter is because you're leaving it to steep for too long. Although green tea is supposed to be bitter, leaving it in for more than 4 or 5 minutes causes it to get really bitter. I'm picky - I usually only leave it in for about 2 or 3 minutes.

You can also try less-potent versions, like White tea. If I'm not in the mood for the bitterness, white tea is a great alternative.

As a final note, I don't know how people can put milk in green tea. To me, it just doesn't work.

The milk didn't help really, but it didn't make it taste any worse.

And I couldn't find the mega tea thread either. :|

Aurin on
  • Options
    MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it's bitter, you're probably steeping it for too long. I usually let it sit for 2-4 minutes, but you can vary it to taste and depending on the kind of tea, how much you're making, etc.

I usually get loose tea. There's a store in the mall near me called "Teavana" which is really good, but on the expensive side (I got a bunch for Christmas and my birthday; my favorites are "Golden Monkey" and "Ceylon Vithanakane", but they're two of the most expensive, though you can really taste it). Other places will also sell it loose; there's a farmer's market near me that has a smaller selection, but very affordable prices. I'd recommend just finding a place, and getting the smallest amount they'll sell you of maybe 6 or so different kinds; get a mix of green, white, red, black, get some that have a weird flavoring or spice if they sound interesting, whatever. A lot of places will sell you as little as a couple ounces, for not much at all.

I just use a strainer, but it looks like your machine supports loose tea, so you should be fine. If it's still bitter, see if you can adjust steep time, or just use less. Oh, you might want to avoid black tea if bitterness is a concern, as it's generally stronger to begin with.

Edit: Yeah, what Cycophant said. I never add anything to my tea, but I know a lot of people who add milk and/or sugar. My view is that if you get good tea, and steep it properly, you don't need any flavor modification systems.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You don't need a tea pot, just learn how to tea bag it.

um. To make tea:

Hot water, then step it.
    Put cold milk/cream in a glass (if that's your thing).
    Pour in tea
    Stir some honey in (if that's your thing)
    Stir
    Stir some more honey in (don't put it in all at once).

Also as far as tea goes:

Honey > Sugar

Think Winnie the Pooh.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here's the way to make good tea:

1: Buy good tea that fits your taste

2: Heat water to appropriate temperature for tea purchased in 1.

3: Steep tea in a strainer, loose, to allow it to expand. Steep according to the tea type purchased in 1.

Enjoy!

A good tea can be enjoyed with no sugar or milk, and it's the best way to see a) if you're doing it right and b) what you would like to add to enhance certain flavors. For instance, my wife and I have a "creme brulee" tea that's fantastic with a little sugar, because the sugar helps emphasize the sweet cream taste. Lemon goes very well with fruit teas. Chinese teas are almost always fine with nothing added, although adding sugar can sometimes be nice. British teas are generally consumed with milk.

See, it's all dependent on what you buy. So what did you buy? And what kind of tastes do you enjoy? I personally can't stand any european or british teas -- far too dark and bitter for me. My personal favorite is Oolong with like a pinch of sugar added to a small teacup (think Japanese style teacup, not British). I've also enjoyed some Japanese teas, although the ones I enjoy are difficult to brew (as they should be brewed at a low temperature, about 185F).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This is what I picked up for tea to start with. I'm trying to find a good replacement for drinking Pepsi all day, really. :P

I do tend to like the sweet tea, so maybe I just need to add more honey to this tea, or turn down the machine. Thanks for all the ideas so far though, definitely giving me more options. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One thing I sometimes do, is take one bag of black tea and one bag of green tea and put them in the same glass... so it's half green, half black. It takes really good.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mmmmm tea!

I like looseleaf tea better than bags because it usually tastes better and I can moderate the strength. Adagio has good teas (some are a little expensive though), and their site has some tea making advice:
    Suggested ratio is one teaspoon of leaves per cup of water. However, the light and voluminous teas will taste best with twice that. To steep, please use boiling water (212F) when preparing black, dark oolong and herbal teas. And it's important to use cooler (180F) water when steeping green, light oolong and white teas. And remember to not over-steep, or your tea will taste bitter. Rule of thumb is 5 min. for most black, 7 min. for dark oolong and white, and only 3 min. for light oolong and green teas.

I've never used one of those machines though, I usually just put it in the water and scoop it out.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like Moroccan Mint Tea. Very tasty. Has a very light taste, very hard to make it bitter. You need to steep it a bit longer than normal though.

Makes a very good iced tea as well.
    Agentflit wrote: »
    I've never used one of those machines though, I usually just put it in the water and scoop it out.

You need a tea strainer.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Celestial Seasonings teas are very good and come in a variety of all-natural flavors. You can find them at your local supermarket.

My favorite is the Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea. Although I just discovered rooibos tea which is red in color, naturally sweet and is about as healthy as green tea. It's also caffeine free if that interests you at all.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, I've been told that tea has less caffeine than soda, and I'm looking for a way to get awake without having to rely on my Pepsi IV all day, so caffeine free might be an option somewhere down the line.

And I'm making a list of all these teas, thanks for all the suggestions thus far! :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aurin wrote: »
    Well, I've been told that tea has less caffeine than soda, and I'm looking for a way to get awake without having to rely on my Pepsi IV all day, so caffeine free might be an option somewhere down the line.

And I'm making a list of all these teas, thanks for all the suggestions thus far! :)

rule of thumb (caffeine per cup):

Coffee 80 mg
    Cola 45 mg
    Black Tea 40 mg
    Oolong Tea 30 mg
    Green Tea 20 mg
    White Tea 15 mg
    Decaf Tea 5-10 mg
    Herbal Tea 0 mg

It can vary quite a bit, though.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, my friend, you have chosen your path wisely. A path that will lead to nectar of the gods, something far greater than Pepsi will ever aspire to be and more awesome than coffee. Yes, I speak of Tea.

Now, normally I'm a lazy, cheap, college dormroom-living bastard, and as such make my tea with lipton in the bag. Boil water, put bag in cup, pour water on, steep. Usually forget for a while, come back, too bitter, sugar up, drink, repeat. Do not be that guy.

Loose tea leaves > bags.
    I have a russian friend who taught me their way of making tea. It is a good way indeed, and is outlined very well in this How-To. Give it a try if you have the chance.

Also, I believe I found that Big Tea Thread from the H/A
    And yet another H/A Tea Thread

There's a bit to read, but read it all you should. Some very good information in there that no man should be without. Real men drink real tea.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Awesome! More information!

But if tea starts putting hair on my chest, my husband is going to be upset. ;)

Aurin on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Proper tea is easy. Boil kettle. Tea bag into mug, little milk (yes, I know, trust me it tastes better, otherwise you just curdle the milk by pouring it directly into near-boiling water), pour in water. Play about with it with a spoon until it's your strength, and you're done.

Green tea is even easier, just cut out the milk step.

Loose leaves of course are easiest. Get teapot, put some leaves in bottom, pour in water. Leave it to brew for a couple of minutes, pour out. Done.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aurin wrote: »
    Awesome! More information!

But if tea starts putting hair on my chest, my husband is going to be upset. ;)

It also can be womanly, given the proper context, such as being a woman. I just hate it how tea has become associated with 9-year-old girlie teaparties. Americans need to adopt the practice of tea time. Nothing like a good cup of tea and a scone. mmmmmm

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Agentflit wrote: »

You need a tea strainer.

Well, I do have one of these:

B00005LM0Z.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

but I can't use it unless I make at least two cups. I should get a strainer too.

edit: this looks interesting.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'd just like to throw in my votes for jasmine tea and oolong tea. The Chinese made it first, the Chinese make it best.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The American stereotype of the Tea drinker has always seemed funny to me as in this country there's nothing more normal than big ugly hairy guys having a cuppa inbetween pretending to work. As part of a tea drinking nation though I am a little dissapointed in the lack of interest in it. Most people just buy a box of PG Tips and have done with it. They don't even use a tea pot! :o I feel it is my duty to become better cultured in tea, and must seek out new brews. Although herbal teas can go fly as far as I am concerned.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png