Cokebotle wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    IGN UK is doing a top 100 RPG's

So far we got

snip

I dont want to live in a world where 91 and 92 are ranked better then any of the 8 ranked lower.

I remember Skies of Arcadia! I played the crap out of that game.

Remeber Pinta? The fat shop keep kid?

God I loved that game.

... I think so.

Man, with all the remakes going on nowadays, I'm surprised nobody tried to do it with some of those older games. Did it just not sell well (besides being on the Dreamcast)?

It was rereleased on the gaemcube,

Was it? Damn, I failed at Gamecube, apparently.

They added a rival that you can bump into over the course of the game and lots of bounties to hunt, lots of new tough optional content.

God what a great game that was!

and fixed the encounter rate somewhat.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Podly wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I like spices but I don't want to get super into it because I don't want to not be able to taste anything. I have a friend from upstate NY, where I guess mega-spice is the preferred antidote to the dreary, snowed-in pointlessness of their lives, and he's to the stage where he seriously considers adding insanity sauce to ice cream to "liven it up."

huh, it's funny, the biggest spicy food buff I know and who introduced me to the scoville scale is from saratoga, waaaay upstate NY

it's also REALLY funny because it's theorized spicy food developed in hot places where meat spoils quickly and thus spices help cover the pungency of turning meat

All spicy peppers originated in Peru originally.

Same as tomatoes and potatoes, actually.

They've propagated to a lot of different cultures and geographies

my sense is that the theory that they were principally used to conceal the flavor of spoiled meat is a myth

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    IGN UK is doing a top 100 RPG's

So far we got

snip

I dont want to live in a world where 91 and 92 are ranked better then any of the 8 ranked lower.

I remember Skies of Arcadia! I played the crap out of that game.

Remeber Pinta? The fat shop keep kid?

God I loved that game.

... I think so.

Man, with all the remakes going on nowadays, I'm surprised nobody tried to do it with some of those older games. Did it just not sell well (besides being on the Dreamcast)?

It was rereleased on the gaemcube,

Was it? Damn, I failed at Gamecube, apparently.

They added a rival that you can bump into over the course of the game and lots of bounties to hunt, lots of new tough optional content.

God what a great game that was!

and fixed the encounter rate somewhat.

Oh god remember the part where you sailed into that strong headwind and I swear there was a random encounter every two seconds? That bit blew on the dreamcast.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I like spices but I don't want to get super into it because I don't want to not be able to taste anything. I have a friend from upstate NY, where I guess mega-spice is the preferred antidote to the dreary, snowed-in pointlessness of their lives, and he's to the stage where he seriously considers adding insanity sauce to ice cream to "liven it up."

huh, it's funny, the biggest spicy food buff I know and who introduced me to the scoville scale is from saratoga, waaaay upstate NY

it's also REALLY funny because it's theorized spicy food developed in hot places where meat spoils quickly and thus spices help cover the pungency of turning meat

my sense is that the theory that they were principally used to conceal the flavor of spoiled meat is a myth

yes, but in india you have spicy curries and stuff as well

and lots of saharan food is quite spicy

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Frankie wanted to set up one of her co-workers with a buddy of mine, so we all went out tonight. She was cute and vivacious, and he was (uncharacteristically) withdrawn and (characteristically) kind of nerdy.

I was kind of frustrated because she seemed to be into him and he could have been killing it but was fucking it up. I didn't really know what to do so I kind of tried to steer conversation away from topics where i thought he might geek out and embarrass himself.

Geeking out is not embarrassing if done correctly. If you can show that you are passionate about a thing and more importantly CONFIDENT about your passion about a thing, people generally respond positively now that we are not in highschool.

in my experience, people regard those who are really overbearingly enthusiastic about something they care nothing about rather negatively.

my buddy gets really enthusiastic about his musical interests and just won't fucking let up.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    AWWWW MAN

FINISHED ALL THAT DELICIOUS DOGFISH HEAD

WHAT'S A DELAWARE BOY TO DO NOW++

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    nobody cares, solomax

You should care. Saratoga is a damn sight more awesome than that pissant little town you come from. What is it called, New York City or something dumb like that? Gross.

Saratoga?

adorable.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Irond Will, Jacob and I are hanging out. And text-chatting. Get in, you bastard.

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/e629845c5078f806baf78171b81adf1aa384f81e?authuser=0&hl=en

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Frankie wanted to set up one of her co-workers with a buddy of mine, so we all went out tonight. She was cute and vivacious, and he was (uncharacteristically) withdrawn and (characteristically) kind of nerdy.

I was kind of frustrated because she seemed to be into him and he could have been killing it but was fucking it up. I didn't really know what to do so I kind of tried to steer conversation away from topics where i thought he might geek out and embarrass himself.

Geeking out is not embarrassing if done correctly. If you can show that you are passionate about a thing and more importantly CONFIDENT about your passion about a thing, people generally respond positively now that we are not in highschool.

in my experience, people regard those who are really overbearingly enthusiastic about something they care nothing about rather negatively.

my buddy gets really enthusiastic about his musical interests and just won't fucking let up.

Being overbearingly enthusiastic and not getting social queues that someone is uninterested in the current topic of conversation =/= geeking out.

• Options

not before the 1700s it wasn't. all those chilis were imported from peru and localized. korea too.

india had malobar (black) pepper, which is spicy but kind of in a different way. i'm not really sure what african food was like, but i know it didn't feature chilis.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    also, it's not like meat didn't spoil all the time in england or russia or denmark too.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Being overbearingly enthusiastic and not getting social queues that someone is uninterested in the current topic of conversation =/= geeking out.

that's pretty much my definition of geeking out.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

that's pretty much my definition of geeking out.

That's not usually how I hear it used, but, it figures you would limit it strictly to a negative definition, given your personality and everything. But well, yeah, if you are going to define a thing as always being 'overbearing' it is going to be negative if it is ever done. I think it is very telling that it only becomes geeking out to you if it is a negative thing.

• Options

unless you are saying it takes two equal parties to geek out, I'm not sure I agree

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

not before the 1700s it wasn't. all those chilis were imported from peru and localized. korea too.

india had malobar (black) pepper, which is spicy but kind of in a different way. i'm not really sure what african food was like, but i know it didn't feature chilis.

interesting!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    AWWWW MAN

Invade Belgium.

Steal their beer.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Like, somehow you are missing like, the most common and basic occurrence of geeking out, when two people geek out over one thing together. One person's geeking out usually fuels the other's geeking out and that is how you get some of the biggest geek outs.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    AWWWW MAN

Invade Belgium.

Steal their beer.

YOOOO I'MMA HAVE TO RUN THIS SHIT BY BARRY

I MEAN

NOT A BAD IDEA

BUT I'M LOOK FOR SOME BIDEN TEAM 6 OPERATIONS HERE

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This chat was made for me. I am growing a bunch of plants because I am impulsive, and 11/40ish are chilis. Or, now it's like 13/43. I hope they don't die for winter, because I want to eat them so bad. The Red Savina Habeneros are not sprouting as well as the others though, and that makes me sad, because I want to try them.
    Did you know that birds have no reaction to capsaicin? Birds and humans have been identify as the only animals that naturally eat spicy things.

But birds can't taste the spice!
    This is probably by design! So much as evolution designs things. Mammals don't eat chilis because the capsaicin is similar to the neurotransmitter that the second-hottest heat-sensitive nerves use to signal heat. But birds don't use that signaling, so the chilis get eaten by them mostly. The birds don't destroy the seeds by consuming them, and they then fly off and poop the chili embryos all over the place.
    Habanero has a really distinct and tasty pepper flavor but is much harder to balance with its heat in a salsa.
    They have bred habeneros that aren't nearly as hot, but still have their habenero taste. You might want to look into that for salsas.

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Podly, Will, and Elki all on the same page -- all my favorite people together in the same place?

Will, am I seriously to believe that the facebook info indicating you'd be at Melanie's bday party is to be believed? Please advise.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i love habañeros because you can make a bigass salsa with just one and they break down the onion and cilantro and release their inherent spiciness without killing you with pure chile heat

although it'll still be plenty piquant from the chile itself

I feel like jalapeno is the sweet spot for fresh salsa. It's the perfect balance of pepper flavor and heat.

Habanero has a really distinct and tasty pepper flavor but is much harder to balance with its heat in a salsa.

I'm talking like, I big bowl of pico de gallo. So a good amount of jalepeño for heat and chile flavor, with just a single habañero to break down the components and add an occasional "HOLY SHIT SPICY!" kick to your food

but as jkosh pointed out, there's a point where things go from "tasty and really spicy!" to "my mouth is numb all there is is spice!"

it's the same thing I was talking about with that steak or burger or whatever with blue cheese and truffle aoili and carmelized onions and steak sauce

when it comes to your senses, there's pretty much a treshhold for how much stimulus one can enjoy before it's just overload

like people going to a superloud metal show and saying they enjoyed being right next to the speaker stack

it's the same with people who are devoted to spicy food

come on, you aren't actually ENJOYING something that hot

bodies just aren't made that fucking way

you know it stimulates endorphin release

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Podly, Will, and Elki all on the same page -- all my favorite people together in the same place?

Will, am I seriously to believe that the facebook info indicating you'd be at Melanie's bday party is to be believed? Please advise.

cel!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

i don't think i can actually make it out to the west coast unfortunately :(

i <3 melabie and was hoping some sort of business trip would take me back out there but it looks like no dice

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    yoooooooooo cel!

listen

i just saw some tweets by you about MLS

fam, it's football season

you don't need to pretend anymore

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

cel!
    I've been meaning to hit you up on XBL. What are you playing lately? Anything? Are you planning to give your life over to the Dark Lord that is FIFA 13 or is that just me?

• Options
    yoooooooooo cel!

listen

i just saw some tweets by you about MLS

fam, it's football season

you don't need to pretend anymore

Dude, two majors problems:

(1) I was watching NFL this weekend and there was this point in one game where a play happened, a guy got knocked the fuck out and remained motionless on the field, so I frantically switched to the other NFL channel so I could manage my sports injury phobia. Then in that game, the very next play, the play that I just switched to, a guy got knocked the fuck out on an INT and the medical field was out before the play, then moving downfield, was even completed, because he, too, was laying motionless on the field. It's hard on a guy with a sports phobia.

(2) They show the fucking SEAHAWKS here instead of the regular nat'l NFC game, e.g. San Francisco v. Green Bay (a game a boy might actually get excited for). I would rather watch Montreal Impact v. Philadelphia Union than the fucking Seahawks v. the Cardinals 10 times out of 10.

FUCK

the NFL

• Options
    and the TD - ad break - kick into the back of the endzone - ad break - 3 downs punt - ad break stretch is something I would actually support Congress looking into.

• Options

i don't think i can actually make it out to the west coast unfortunately :(

i <3 melabie and was hoping some sort of business trip would take me back out there but it looks like no dice

Too bad for you. I'mma be drinking and still doing my damndest to make a decent impression on decent people.

(That could have been you!)

• Options
    it's ok cel

let's just honor the memory of the great scalabrini with his retirement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnXQsJ8ung8&amp;feature=player_embedded

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    True story:

I've attended exactly one (1) regular season NFL game in my life. It was with Thanatos from these boards.

That's it. That's the whole joke. I watched a football game with him, it's the only football game in my life. I kept myself entertained by explaining what was happening to him.

• Options
    Also, everyone please check out my good, good friend Stephanie Lane in this article in the NEW YORK MO'FUCKING TIMES!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEE!!!

(seriously, they bury her at the bottom with the one big quote, but she is 115% responsible for the HSU football program mattering AND I KNEW HER BACK WHEN (she moved some of my furniture up to Portland for me after I got here, this article appearing in my twitter timeline made my fucking day))

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Woah, Might and Magic VI is better than two Final Fantasies.

MMVI is pretty fun.

• Options

MMVI is pretty fun.

MM was pretty awesome. How far are you?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

MMVI is pretty fun.

It's not bad but blech crappy 3d era.

MM 4 + 5 are my favorite.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I like 7 the best. You get a castle.

• Options
    Hour and a half until work is over, and then I get to cook up a storm, make myself a coffee and then border break time!

Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaah!

• Options
    I love how the end of each M&M game ends in insanity and genre swapping.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hour and a half until work is over, and then I get to cook up a storm, make myself a coffee and then border break time!

Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaah!

Jealous! I'm at work for another 2.5 hours. :(

工事中
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I had to write a 200 word story for the PA questionnaire.

Here:

Some memories never let a man forget.

I woke up that morning to the same sight I had for the last thirty years; the Monument bobbing off in the distance, barely obscured by the billowing curtains of my bedroom window. They had left it behind the night they returned to the stars. They didn’t need to, of course; their image would always be burned into the minds of those they left alive. And yet there it hung, suspended in the air over the crater we had come to refer to as the “mouth of the world” (for it opened wide to scream on the night they arrived), a constant reminder of their final message: “We will return.”

The children scribbled crude renditions of it in their schoolbooks, giggling in their innocence, uncomprehending. I stumbled groggily into the bathroom, and as I undressed I regarded another cruel reminder stretching along my upper thigh, glistening in the morning heat. A shrill shriek called me back into the other room.

The day had finally come. Its bulbous form heaved as it held its weapon in the air. Globs of sweat ran down its wrinkled face.

“We are the Scrotuum. And we have returned.”

This discussion has been closed.