As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neighbors!

SliderSlider Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
My family has owned this home for over 30 years. Last month, some people moved into the vacant piece of shit behind us. They have been absolutely wonderful neighbors.

From morning to night, one of the boys has spent most of the time listening to some sort of rap music: the kind where I can only hear the base and none of the lyrics.

Recently, they have become attracted to making bonfires. Currently, I have smoke seeping into my room. I love the smell (and taste) of bonfire smoke in the evening.

This is the Neighbors! thread. Post stories of wonderful neighbors that you have had.

Slider on

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Everybody needs good neighbours.

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    if you burn down their house you have a good alibi.

Whyther on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've lived here for ten years and still don't know my neighbours names.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread would be infinitely better if it was his neighbors complaining about having to live next to Slider.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I've lived here for ten years and still don't know my neighbours names.
    this but 17

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    My family has owned this home for over 30 years. Last month, some people moved into the vacant piece of shit behind us. They have been absolutely wonderful neighbors.

From morning to night, one of the boys has spent most of the time listening to some sort of rap music: the kind where I can only hear the base and none of the lyrics.

Recently, they have become attracted to making bonfires. Currently, I have smoke seeping into my room. I love the smell (and taste) of bonfire smoke in the evening.

This is the Neighbors! thread. Post stories of wonderful neighbors that you have had.

Quick! Leave a passive aggressive note on the internet!

Oh

Oh.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I know all my neighbours, there's uh, there's Really Dangerous Looking Biker, and... Piercing Laughter Girl Seriously I Can Hear Her Giggling Through Like Five Walls. And the Always Cooking Amazing-Smelling Food family downstairs! Good people.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

With a little understanding you can find the perfect blend.

broken image link
  • Options
    The folks who lived in the apartment across from us was a single mom and her college son. They'd get in screaming matches about the guys girlfriend, who I think at some point moved in with them briefly?

One time we came home about the same time they were and the mom was suuuuper drunk and trying to convince us to come to some kind of real estate seminar.

Now it's just some nerd guy and maybe a couple other people; barely ever see'em, but someone's taking out their trash and there's been no middle of the night screaming so they're cool in my book.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest, I was really worried this thread would be about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iJy5auBko

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Can we make this a The Burbs thread?

Because that is a movie right there, it is.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    my neighbor started renting and moved into the apartment several months ago, but didn't actually live there until classes started recently

when she moved in the people helping her move got a couch wedged in one of the two stairwells, where it remained for a month and a half before someone finally got it unstuck
    (the drywall has not yet been repaired)

also she had cats, and the cats were in the apartment
    but she was not in the apartment, because she wasn't living there
    evidently the cats ran out of food and escaped out one of the windows and were never seen again

yet she still opens her window and calls their names every time she gets home as if they were still hanging around on the fire escape after four months

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Our neighbour is an elderly lady who may be a shut in. We see social workers at her door every now and then, and mail will sit at her door for days or weeks at a time. I've heard her voice but I've never seen her.

She could die at any time and no one would notice for days. It's possible that as we speak I'm only a wall away from a corpse.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    This thread would be infinitely better if it was his neighbors complaining about having to live next to Slider.

well they're already trying to smoke him out

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    At least your neighbors aren't a meth lab

(I have been catching up on Breaking Bad this weekend and I'm now into Season 3
    Skyler how could you fuck Ted ;[
    )

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    some sort of rap music: the kind where I can only hear the base and none of the lyrics.

Just so you know, bass frequencies have much longer wavelengths and will almost always travel further than other audible range frequencies. The genre doesn't matter.

• Options
    I live on a moebius strip so I am my own neighbor.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Whyther wrote: »
    that'd be horrifying

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »

Predictable.

Gimme a hug, Dru.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

neighbours should be there for one another.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    Whyther wrote: »
    that'd be horrifying

it's not so bad

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I remember when I was a kid there was a family that lived across the street with a teenage son who would put big ol' speakers blaring music in their front window facing out so he and his friends could sit out on the front yard and smoke while listening to music because his mom wouldn't let him smoke in the house. It was super annoying.

• Options
    A few years ago, the neighbor across the street - as opposed to the noisy/smoky neighbor behind us - allowed his two sons to stay with him for a brief period of time. There was a time when I knew this neighbor's name, but I have since forgotten. The story is that his elderly parents purchased the single-wide for him and he lives there while receiving some sort of state provided disability pay.

Anyway, his sons. Supposedly, one was let out of jail and the other one mysteriously appeared, as well. It was interesting for a while: loud late night arguments, odd vehicles visiting the home...at all hours. I'm fairly certain they were dealing out of the house, because deputies were often seen parked at the house.

Finally, I came home one day to about 5 cop cars parked on our street. Apparently, there was a shooting, but nobody was hurt. I guess the son wasn't home.

It has been quiet over there for the last 1-2 years, mainly due to the fact that one son died in a car accident and the other is back in jail (I think).

Wonderful neighbors.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Oh man I am glad we have one of these threads. My neighbors now are fine, but when I was living with my mom, there was a real piece of work on the next lot. This guy would spend about 5 hours a day mowing his lawn, and another 2 blowing any leaves on his driveway over on to our property, which was a massive exercise in futility-- any time the trade winds kicked up, they'd blow right over and across on to the lot next to him. He'd blow against the wind sometimes, too. God help you if you mowed the lawn and some clippings went over the property line, a couple times I thought he was going to come at me with a shotgun.

Oh, and there was a dying tree in his yard that dropped about a third of itself on our fence. Would've crushed my car if I'd been home. He'd also lob insults at my mother whenever she was doing anything in the yard close to his property, and would try to goad our dogs into assaulting him (this is heresay from our good neighbors at the time, but they swear up and down that this asshole poisoned one of their dogs with antifreeze). As long as those dogs lived they did not like men in dark blue coveralls, which was also the uniform of the gas company. The guy who rents mom's house now says that he still does the blower thing, even though all the eucalyptus trees have been taken down.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Gonna be honest, I was really worried this thread would be about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iJy5auBko

This looks like the worst thing ever. How does that get on tv?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    years ago my parents got a new neigbor

he's this stocky russian guy named alex

we thought he was a gangster because he had a new car every week

turned out he was a mechanic

one time I asked him to do some work on my car

so I took it to his shop, which is located behind a strip club

walked in the door, Alex and three of the burliest goons I've ever seen are sitting around a card table

counting sky high stacks of cash money

all of them look at me for like three seconds

it occurs to me that I'm closer to death right now in this moment than at any point during my six months in Iraq

and then all four of them start laughing harder than I've ever seen anyone laugh

Alex rattles off a bunch of Russian, to his friends, then says to me, "Your dad told me you thought I was a mobster!"

"It...seemed plausible."

Shorty on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I am relatively sure that the guy across from us sells pot

which would be fantastic news if I smoked

alas!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    One of my neighbours stole my two sheep and the neighbour offered to do me a 'favour' by taking all my hay off my hands for free. The place across the road is some kind of farm stay/bnb kinda thing and they seem nice

In town my neighbours are great. Everyone is pretty community minded and we all get along fine. If someone is mowing their front lawn, it's not uncommon to mow your neighbour's lawn too. We have a bunch of young kids on the street and they play up and down the street and everyone keeps an eye out for them, it's great. A couple of young guys up the road built a jungle gym thinger on their front lawn so the kids could go down and play on it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I live in one of those apartment complexes where the cops show up at least once a day.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    We had a really cool dude who restored the heritage listed (only the shell) house next to us over the course of a few years but he moved away to restore another place.
    Another cool set of neighbours took his place before moving interstate because of a job offer.

The family who replaced them ripped out all the original oak paneling from inside, it was sitting cracked on the nature strip. It was very disheartening.
    Then they moved away after another year and I don't really know the current set of neighbours.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    aah why would you rip out oak paneling

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    aah why would you rip out oak paneling
    To put in maple paneling

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    here is why the people in my house probably think I'm the Weird Guy Upstairs:

a few months back, I was sitting in my room one afternoon, playing mass effect 3 online with some scottish fellows

and out of nowhere I heard my landlady screaming my name up the stairs

apparently one of her adult kids was dying!

she wanted to know if I knew CPR

I do not know CPR

but I told her I'd do what I could

so I put on pants and went downstairs

and sure enough the dude was on the floor, not breathing

apparently his older brother was on the phone with the people you call in such a case, and they told him to do chest compressions if dying guy's heart stopped

and the dude looked less than excited about the prospect of having to restart his brother's heart

then I remembered one of the more obscure facts I picked up

"Listen," I said to him. "There's a certain rhythm to the compressions. That rhythm is exactly the same as the song Stayin' Alive by the Beegees."

he looked at me like I was crazy

"Well, Another One Bites the Dust will also work, but that seemed thematically inappropriate."

then the paramedics got there and all was well, more or less

Shorty on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I don't notice my neighbors that much. Seems to be a pretty normal family.

But we don't have A/C so I had my sliding door open one night last year when I hear one of the next door neighbors slam a door and yell "GODDAMMIT" at the top of his lungs. That was weird. But that's about it.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I never really got to know any of my neighbors from 14 onward until we got a dog.

Now I'm pretty familiar with my neighbors. I can never remember most of their names, but I know their dogs!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I have no idea. They painted the entire interior white afterwards and tried to make it a modern sort of house.
    The worst part about that is that there are heaps of other houses in the area like that for sale all the time which would've cost them less to purchase.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

neighbours should be there for one another.
    And that's when neighbours become good friends

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    When I was growing up the house next door was usually occupied by squatters. The first few batches were really good, they did the gardens, painted the house and generally looked after it. Then a group moved in and removed the doors to use as firewood for the washing machine drum fire in the living room.

They were kicked out, the house demolished then replaced with units which would become equal parts council housing for junkies and/or really cool old people.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    the girl down the street was my first kiss

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!