As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Path of McGibs! WEBSITE LAUNCH

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
I finally have a friggin website. I have yet to do a few minor things, but overall its workin pretty good.

Check it out. Tell me what you think. Join the forums. I need minions.

linkbar1.jpg

And heres the new Locust cover and some other stuff so I'm not totally sitwhoring
cover.jpg

lexireal.jpg

fallschirmjaeger.jpg

... up to page 8 is on the site.

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hurrah, you've got a website!

Can't really think of too many crits design-wise right now, but just from having a brief look, I think it would help improve the visuals of the site if you added some range in color (ie: contrast), and maybe some textures. I think that a subtle texture here and there helps to bring out/emphasise certain elements of a site, and to generate some interest etc etc.

Sorry for being so vague and unspecific, I'm just mentioning what I always do with my designs to help them pop out a bit, and to give them some depth. Maybe you could play around with that yourself and see what you come up with. Your art kicks arse, so I'm sure you'd be able to find colours that work well together and all that stuff ;)

Also, I think you could do something about the black borders... it might just be my personal preference but I don't really like thick borders too much :P

Edit: agh, accidentally hit submit >_<

Anyway, you said that you're still polishing it off, so that's fine, you might have something to think about now whilst polishing ;)

Also, just a small nitpick: Set the size of your windows to open a few pixels larger than your actual images, down the bottom there in the "recent artwork" section, because they are set to open at the same size as your artwork, but you're not taking into account the window's edges/bars/borders/titles and all that, so it's opening a tad too small and creating scrollbars. Like I said, nothing major there.

If I think of more I'll post. Good luck with the site.

BTW: I really friggin' love that Spitfire painting, I demand a wallpaper sized version! :P

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I have a few more graphicy things to add, namely artwork on the title header bars. And a few other places.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, another thing that came to mind was artwork. The banner would look nice with your characters or whatever thrown in there. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    McGibs, I just read through the comic. Fucking fantastic, man. There's a few spelling errors, but I love the plot and the art.

I don't have any site complaints either, it looks great to me and I got around fine. I'd suggest making the colors a tad brighter or least contrasting them more (for getting new readers, I guess).

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I keep meaning to go back and fix those. I think the only one left is exiteing/exiting back in chapter 02.

I'll probly keep the colours, I switched them once already when making it and it was a pain. Right now theyre the same as the desaturated blues on the new locust pages.

Does anyone know any webcomic forums I can plug this on?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One suggestion I can make is it'd be great to have an 'archive' type link on the Locust pages so I could start reading from a specific chapter rather than scrolling back through them using prev/next

Floofy on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    About fucking time, you lazy genius, you.

/Waiting in anticipation for more locustness.

Mayday on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    nice site layout and awesome art

one suggestion is to make your clickable images actually appear to be clickable - I didn't really realize they opened up to larger versions till I clicked on one by accident - the easiest way to do this is to use the hand cursor over them so they appear to have a link around them. ie: add "style='cursor:hand'" in the images that open your windows.

edit: is there supposed to be a red blob on the cover? it looks out of place... http://www.mcgibs.iseenothing.com/index/locust/00-cover.html

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Floofy wrote: »
    One suggestion I can make is it'd be great to have an 'archive' type link on the Locust pages so I could start reading from a specific chapter rather than scrolling back through them using prev/next

There's an archives section in the info page, but I'll put a link button in the nav bar on the locust pages.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    McGibs wrote: »

I can do a little promotion around the finnish comic communities if that's okat with you.

And it's great to see a well-prepared site =) Maybe add a little roughness and texture to the site design.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That would be awesome!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow... y'know I've seen your artwork posted on these forums many times, but I'd never read Locust before. I love it! The scheme and layout of your site really fits the look of the comic, too. Very cool.
    I added a link to your site on mine, hopefully it'll send some new readers your way. :)

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nice Website!

Go hit up the flight forums, here

Is this bad boy ever gunna make it to print?

Im looking at the cover page to Locust 1, the interloper- and it is badass. Keep that shit happenin!

Greatnation on
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will become a proud minion of your forums :D

Haxagor on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    omg, finally, amazement, greatness, etc.

So is this an action/war story, or a drama? With all the concept sketches, I guess the first, but I can't see where you're going with this yet. Still interesting, nonetheless, and I shall read until the sun explodes.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thanks for the support pete, and the link nation.

The current story takes place AFTER a great war, and is more a drama focusing on the problems of the main characters, which are closely related to the war and contain alot of action and violence. Later on (much later) it escilates back into war again for the end of the project.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haha, you should have put that in spoiler tags, dumbass! lol.gif

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of Locust.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Darken RahlDarken Rahl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hate to break the news, but your chick with the blue hair is currently trapped onboard an airliner with the living dead. ;)

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thats alright, she can handle herself.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IrrIrr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is great. I like your single images a lot too. One seemed really off though, the 'Durus Run 'n Gun' Obviously it's incomplete, but his stance... it seems like he's floating and falling to the left(his right). The foot is really well done, but it seems odd...

Irr on
    C'Thun is a giant eyeball, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    BECAUSE IT HOLDS THE POWER OF THE IMMORTALS?
    No silly, it's the taste you can see!
    YOU...WILL....DIE....
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Two pages in one weekend. Go me.

03-09.jpg

03-10.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options