As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions on cleaning a case? (Materials, process, etc.)

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
Mods, feel free to move this to H/A if this is better suited there.

I bought a brand new PC in August 2011 and think it's time to clean the case and inner workings. This is my primary machine and I want to make sure it lasts a long, long time. I know it's good to get the dust and crap out of there, but I want to make sure I am 1.) Doing it right and 2.) Establishing a schedule for future cleanings. I've never cleaned the inside of a PC before so I'm treading on new water.

Is it as simple as opening the case and using compressed air to clean out the fan and whatnot? Is there anything else I should be looking to do? And lastly, how often should I clean the case?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Personally, I use a little electronic blower vac I bought off Amazon.

I pop the sides off, rest it at a conmfortable height and just blowing all the crap out wherever I can see it. I have an Antec p280 which is washable filters, so I pop them out and give them a quick wash in the sink and then leave them to dry

I clean my case out with the blower every 3 months and clean the filters every month, usually. You could easily get away with a more relaxed schedule, I'm just a crazy person

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Compressed air is basically the only tool you need other than a screwdriver to open things up. Depending on how dusty the CPU heatsink and gpu are, you may want to pull them out and really blow the compressed air through there.

If it is pretty dusty I suggest pulling the thing apart, leaving the drives in place, so you can hit it with the air in an open space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Electric blowers and vacuums have a critical flaw in that they can create an eletrostatic charge, or build up an already existing charge which is of course not good at all.

I would recommend 70% rubbing alcohol for cleaning and wiping down surfaces, cans of compressed air, and maybe even a few Q-Tips for those nooks and crannies.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I use a paintbrush.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Electric blowers and vacuums have a critical flaw in that they can create an eletrostatic charge, or build up an already existing charge which is of course not good at all.

I would recommend 70% rubbing alcohol for cleaning and wiping down surfaces, cans of compressed air, and maybe even a few Q-Tips for those nooks and crannies.

MetroVac sells a model specifically designed for safe use around electronics, which is what I use.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I use the 80/20 rule, and just go after the innards with compressed air. Nothing else, really.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Well, I went ahead and cracked open the case this weekend. Not nearly the dust in there that I thought there would be. Blew everything out with compressed air and that was that. I may try and get one of those vacs that you guys mentioned for future cleanings.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Like the warnings above, make sure you get one rated to work with electronics. If you don't you may short something out.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I use a metro vac too. It works out cheaper than buying compressed air in the long run and I just really like new toys

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke