As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - March 14, 2007

DMACDMAC Moderator mod
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
I haven't gotten very far through this week's stack but New X-Men was fantastic as usual.

newx1.jpg

DMAC on
«1

Posts

  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spider-Man: Reign #4
    Spidey laying waste to what's left of the Sinister Six.

    And all of Civil War: The Confession.

    Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    52.
    "This is mercy.

    Bloods End on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spider-Man: Reign
    Scorpion: With this new suit, I can do anything!
    Spider-Man: Anything?
    Scorpion: Yeah, anything!
    Spider-Man: Can you fly?
    *kicks Scorpion out of high-rise window*

    But the New X-Men one was good too.

    Tony's last line in the first part of Confession.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Martian Manhunter #8, when J'onn asks the white martian if he's hungry...
    "What are these?"

    "They're called chocos"

    <3

    bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

    Anally.
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about how fucking crazy Norman Osborn is?


    img025sk3.gif

    Sharp101 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to kill Deathstroke

    Garlic Bread on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Norman's got some crazy-ass fingers.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why's that Keith? I don't follow Teen Titans any more.

    The Irredeemable Ant-Man:
    Two tiny Ant-Men battling across a SHIELD dinner table before leaping up onto Dum Dum Dugan's derby hat and fighting on the rim of it.

    Also, The Confession was just a string of sad, sullen moments, occassionally punctuated by battles with zombies and King Arthur.

    Munch on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He also looks like Tommy Lee Jones throughout the issue.

    Sharp101 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Why's that Keith? I don't follow Teen Titans any more.

    You should.
    22fh2.jpg

    Garlic Bread on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to the comic shop today but damn, Norman's fingers and brow sweat'll be hard to beat.

    Dondums on
    internet
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thunderbolts was full of awesome this week.
    stanleebolts.jpg

    Synthetic Orange on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    deadonthestreet on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    mattharvest on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    Iron Man never considered the other side either. And you don't either. The other side is this... there are some principals that are worth fighting for. No matter what. No matter how things turn out.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    Iron Man never considered the other side either. And you don't either. The other side is this... there are some principals that are worth fighting for. No matter what. No matter how things turn out.

    Exactly. Tony never considered any side except his own, which was, "I'm always right because I'm so fucking smart. I know science. I am a genius."

    He didn't even give anyone else the right to accept or deny what he thought would happen. He just went ahead and started making shadowy manuevers doing whatever he felt was necessary, when it could have been avoided if he had just tried to actually appeal to his friends rather than being an arrogant dick. I'm still not of the opinion that Confessions clears him, because as far as I'm concerned he's still morally ambiguous.
    And he talks to corpses, which is just really weird.

    MiSTieOtaku on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited March 2007
    A sore loser wouldn't have given himself up.

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thunderbolts was full of awesome this week.
    stanleebolts.jpg

    I love Stabbity Jones.

    One Thousand Cables on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Really the whole I went back to the future and saw the past but no one would belive me about it, was completely bull. Why would the Illuminati members not trust him on it? I think he may have saw the future, but he saw an opportunity for himself.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The first few pages of New Avengers #28 manages to make Luke Cage buying milk an exciting development. Definitely MOTW material if you ask me.

    Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd definitely have to say the amazing and hilarious dialogue in Moon Knight this week.

    DasUberEdward on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd definitely have to say the amazing and hilarious dialogue in Moon Knight this week.
    A chick with a black eye. What do you call her?

    From Thunderbolts
    Eeny, meeny, miney, mo...ha ha ha.
    Heh.
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    HA HA HA HA
    Hrm.
    Okay. Get me the commision on superhuman affairs on the phone. Time to approve the next target.

    Loses something without the crazy.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    IIRC, Cap didn't get a chance to "consider the other side" he got a bunch of guns pulled on him and a nazi bitch telling him he would hunt down other heroes and make them register or else.

    You ignoring this fucking fact again and again is the reason I hate you.

    Regina Fong on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    What? Wasn't Tony the one who
    started a war among friends and comrades due to a vision he saw while fighting zombies with King Arthur?
    Who is really the one disconnected from reality here?

    One Thousand Cables on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I didn't think it was a literal vision so much as a sensible prediction.

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    IIRC, Cap didn't get a chance to "consider the other side" he got a bunch of guns pulled on him and a nazi bitch telling him he would hunt down other heroes and make them register or else.

    You ignoring this fucking fact again and again is the reason I hate you.

    h5, Jeepguy, let's make out some more.

    Spectre-x on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Teen Titans for redeeming Cassandra, thank god.

    Thunderbolts for fucking crazy as balls Norman Osborn

    Sars_Boy on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    "Well...you're a sore loser, Captain America."

    Oh Tony, you monumental ass.

    He is a sore loser, and as Confessions makes apparent, Rogers has never considered the alternative to his choices.

    Say what you want about Tony, but the worst thing you can say is that he made bad choices (if you don't agree with them). Rogers, apparently, didn't even make a choice, because he never considered the other side.

    He apparently never considered whether he was wrong, period. That's the reason he'd become disconnected from reality. That's why he was ill, not Stark.

    IIRC, Cap didn't get a chance to "consider the other side" he got a bunch of guns pulled on him and a nazi bitch telling him he would hunt down other heroes and make them register or else.

    You ignoring this fucking fact again and again is the reason I hate you.

    Well, you don't recall correctly. We've been over repeatedly how - after fleeing - he could have decided to respect the civil justice system, and change the law just like every other citizen has the right and power to do. Unlike a normal citizen, Rogers decided he was better than the civil process, and that unlike a normal citizen he had the right to lead an armed rebellion.

    He never went to the press.

    He never went to lawyers.

    He just fought. He tried to change the laws with his fists. The man wanted to be Superboy-Prime.

    mattharvest on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never been a fan of cap but saying his name in the same breath as "Superboy-Prime" is just uncalled for.

    Caveman Paws on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never been a fan of cap but saying his name in the same breath as "Superboy-Prime" is just uncalled for.

    Pronouns aren't proper-nouns.

    Seriously though, no matter what else is true about Stark's misdeeds or Rogers' good deeds, Rogers thought he was above the civil process that binds the rest of us. He wanted to change the laws with his fists. He never even tried to engage in the normal, American civil process.

    He thought he knew better than the American people, and maybe he was right. But whether he was right or wrong in theory about SHRA, he was wrong to fight it with his fists. I repeat: he wanted to be Superboy-Prime.

    /Of course, since he's not a comic reader....

    mattharvest on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    People who correct others spelling/grammar on the internet (after said person just got home from 9 hours at work) are the reason why Cap wanted to change the law with his fists. I'm sure there were other reasons (like selling comics with cool looking super hero fights instead of a bunch of souless lawyers arguing in court for a eight months) but the punching "letter of the law" types is in the top three.

    Oh, Matt are you for the SHRA? I think this is the first time you've mentioned it.

    Caveman Paws on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I've never been a fan of cap but saying his name in the same breath as "Superboy-Prime" is just uncalled for.

    Pronouns aren't proper-nouns.

    Seriously though, no matter what else is true about Stark's misdeeds or Rogers' good deeds, Rogers thought he was above the civil process that binds the rest of us. He wanted to change the laws with his fists. He never even tried to engage in the normal, American civil process.

    He thought he knew better than the American people, and maybe he was right. But whether he was right or wrong in theory about SHRA, he was wrong to fight it with his fists. I repeat: he wanted to be Superboy-Prime.

    /Of course, since he's not a comic reader....

    It's not like he went on a rampage through the streets, clubbing the elderly with star-spangled fists and lighting dogs on fire.

    And he did grant interviews to the press, albeit not so many because it would have met compromising his position. Sure he didn't go to a lawyer, but I'd assume some lawyer somewhere was already on the case on behalf of Prodigy or some other imprisoned hero. If no lawyer was willing to take the case, then what could Captain America have done to change the situation when aligning himself with one would have just gotten him captured?*

    Cap, meanwhile, just went on fighting crime and saving teen heroes from the kind of authority that thinks you don't have rights if you're an alien or a robot. There never would have been a cataclysmic clash between the Secret Avengers and Stark's group if Stark had just made it clear that none of the unregistered heroes were in any danger, but he couldn't make that assurance and so freeing a bunch of people from the Negative Zone kinda seemed like the right thing to do since it'd seemed like their captors had gone insane.

    In fact that whole thing could have been avoided if the Pro-Reg side simply refused to fight the Anti-Reg side, instead seeking to put public pressure on them while convincing them that Reed wasn't going to replace dissenters with robot clones and then stick the originals in a prison for the rest of their lives. Worse yet, this was the group that was meant to represent intelligent, responsible super-heroing. Evidentially, with Stark and Reed leading the charge, reasoned thinking means instigating atomic conflicts that leave the city in ruins when neither side of the war, by their very nature, is very interested in fighting each other or endangering innocents.

    At best, Stark brought the superhero war he envisioned in Camelot into reality a few years earlier than it would have originally occurred. At worst, he stupidly fulfilled his own prophecy.




    * But then we both know the reason lawyers weren't involved is because it would have made the story less accessible, so why even argue over the point when we know it wasn't omitted to make a specific point about Cap?

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont know about you mattharvest but it is a little difficult to express your veiws any further when there are hundreds of thousands of SHIELD cap killers trying to hunt you down and because you disagree with an law that was passed mostly due to political pressure cause by fear.

    now I dont know about you but if I didnt want to register and i would be in the run too, and how the hell can you voice your opinion in the fucking negative zone!! You cant see loved ones, much less have a polite discussion with reporters on your views.

    Oh, have my lawyer do it, you say. Nope sorry, you dont have rights unless you register so your fucked in that sense.

    So tell me matt can you explain to me what options were availible to Captian America in this situation, because i cant think of any.

    Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't the negative zone have free virtual reality? Cap wouldn't have even notice the five years passing before he got a chance to defend his position.

    You know who Cap would be if he didn't stand up for his convictions? He would be nobody. And he sure as hell wouldn't be Captain America.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nazi Zombies. It's just.

    projectmayhem on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

    Well, you don't recall correctly. We've been over repeatedly how - after being freed - she could have decided to respect the civil justice system, and change the law just like every other citizen has the right and power to do. Unlike a normal citizen, Harriet Tubman decided she was better than the civil process, and that unlike a normal citizen she had the right to lead escaped slaves into freedom.



    tubman.jpg


    Why do you hate freedom so much?

    Regina Fong on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    History 101. Law isnt what is recalled in the history books, it's action.

    Civil War 1:
    Cap: This is bullshit!
    Stark: Get a lawyer!
    Cap: MAYBE I WILL!!!!!


    Hm. That might have been a better written Civil War than what we got...BUT STILL.

    projectmayhem on
  • Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This isn't going to turn into that 20 friggin' page argument we already have in the Civil War thread, right?
    'Cause that'd be dumb.
    This is a place where we can share the awesomeness of the week.

    ...

    Plus, your posts always make my brain bleed, mattharvest...

    Chrono Paladin on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This isn't going to turn into that 20 friggin' page argument we already have in the Civil War thread, right?
    'Cause that'd be dumb.
    This is a place where we can share the awesomeness of the week.

    ...

    Plus, your posts always make my brain bleed, mattharvest...

    I'm not gonna debate him in here. I will mock him and call him a freedom-hater though. That's not debate, that's just good clean fun. :^:

    Regina Fong on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont know about you mattharvest but it is a little difficult to express your veiws any further when there are hundreds of thousands of SHIELD cap killers trying to hunt you down and because you disagree with an law that was passed mostly due to political pressure cause by fear.

    (a) the validity of a law is utterly disconnected with the reasons it was passed. A law is valid if it is passed. Whether it is moral is another question, as is whether it is constitutional, advisable or any other number of separate, unrelated questions.

    (b) We've been over this so many times, it's ridiculous. I've yet to hear a response to this simple point: once he fled, he never once (in a single comic, in the entirety of Civil War) tried to take part in the civil process. He immediately - literally, as soon as he could - started an armed rebellion. If any other normal person - e.g. a real-world literal person who disagreed with a law that would mean extensive imprisonment for them - took this path, none of you would defend them. You're only defending Rogers because he's Captain America, and not because his decisions were valid or good.
    now I dont know about you but if I didnt want to register and i would be in the run too, and how the hell can you voice your opinion in the fucking negative zone!! You cant see loved ones, much less have a polite discussion with reporters on your views.

    (a) We don't know any of that is true.

    (b) Just because you fear prison, doesn't mean you have a right to flee the police. If you go steal some bread because you're starving, and then run from the police, then your starvation-defense (which is real, in some jurisdictions) has no relationship with fleeing from the police. While you'll get off on the theft (in those jurisdictions), you'll still be guilty of evading arrest. If you do like Rogers and beat up law enforcement officers, you'll get aggravated assault and a host of other crimes.
    Oh, have my lawyer do it, you say. Nope sorry, you dont have rights unless you register so your fucked in that sense.

    That doesn't even make sense.

    (a) Your rights are unconnected to registering. You may also be confusing registering with licensing, but that's typical of many anti-reg posters here lately.

    (b) Your lawyer should represent you in the legal system in Marvel the same way they do here. Or, are you suggesting that it's not acceptable that in the real-world, habeas claims for prisoners in inaccessible prisons are filed by their lawyers? Did you not read any of the extensive discussion up to this point?
    So tell me matt can you explain to me what options were availible to Captian America in this situation, because i cant think of any.

    No, you just ignore them when they're posted:
    1) Immediately after fleeing SHIELD (which was legal, because at that point he hadn't committed a crime and SHIELD had acted improperly), contact either (a) a lawyer, (b) the ACLU, (c) any of a billion news organizations.
    2) If you fear arrest, remain on the lamb while you pursue option 1), but you will then have to face the consequences of evading arrest, etc. when you're caught.
    3) Do like Martin Luther King, Jr. and all his brave companions during the Civil Rights Movement and face the law. Be imprisoned, and fight your case in court and in the hearts and minds of the American people. Recognize that the civil process not only doesn't include changing the law with your fists, but also in fact explicitly disavows that sort of "might makes right" behavior.

    mattharvest on
This discussion has been closed.