As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] East coast: Heart of the storm

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm quite confused and concerned about all this positive energy and happiness spilling forth from Dhal. What the fuck is going on here?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    or at least, that's what always fucked me over when I tried that build a lot on ladder - terran retreats into main, adds a third orbital, races for medivacs and stim, and I can't expand to my natural + tech + build an army at the same time.

I find I get contained

I would suggest trying 2-2-2 (FE > 2nd rax > double gas > fact + port) for a few games. Tanks are much better at breaking contains I feel than medivacs are.

If he goes for a 1 base play you can turtle in the main, break the contain once you've got 2 tanks, then execute him because he won't have both the tech and the army to beat a 2 base tank push. If he FEs you just get 2-3 cloakshees to be annoying, 2-3 tanks for defense against 8gate nonsense, and take a third at like 9 minutes.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I can't beat mech and I can't win with mech. tvt.

pretty sure that's a sure sign that I'm terrible

edit - so weird. I'm having a terrible day, clearly :P but I don't lose very many points when I lose. maybe I confused battlenet.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    this is the first time I saw Grand Lagoon.

• Options
    how did byun open?

• Options
    can't remember the last time a gom stream failed. argh

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about the weekend of the 10th for CSL finals. We'll need to figure out a good time where you all can be on though...

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    The 10th is pretty bad or me unless we play really late (which probably fucks the euros)

• Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm quite confused and concerned about all this positive energy and happiness spilling forth from Dhal. What the fuck is going on here?

Pregnancy induces mood swings. Take advantage of the euphoria while it lasts.

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    heart of the swarm streamu~!

with a shiny new ui

also with commentary

and in mumble if anyone's around

truly a brave new world

• Options
    lesson learned

do not commentate by self

cause damn it is weird

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    All I saw was you attacking roaches with drones instead of mutalisks.
    Very painful. Then I had to go.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Friday Night customs tonight?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I will attempt to get up early and play some customs for a while before the torchlight group is all on!

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    it's so fucking hard to describe what you're doing while playing this game without playing like a complete shovel

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I will attempt to get up early and play some customs for a while before the torchlight group is all on!

SC2 Group wrote:
    Fuck the torchlight group.
    - SC2 Group, Circa 2012

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    815165 wrote: »
    it's so fucking hard to describe what you're doing while playing this game without playing like a complete shovel

I tried it once and by the end of the game I was curled up in a ball on the floor sobbing.

• Options
    Just had two friends of mine try and tell me that League of Legends is a better, more dynamic game with a higher skill ceiling than SC2 and BW, and their apparent reasoning is because LoL is becoming more popular in Korea, and that all these progamers swapping to LoL are doing it because of it being a better game, not for the money.

hahahahahaha

my sides they hurt

Don't get me wrong, I play and enjoy LoL, but MOBAs aint got nothing on a good RTS.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Suffice to say they are wrong. Very wrong.

And apparently it's the big super MLG of the year this weekend and I have an exam on tuesday.

Fuck.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Starcraft 2 has one person who does what all of 5 people do in LoL.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Plus Dota 2 is already a more complicated game than LoL anyway so that's a dumb thing to say regardless.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Just had two friends of mine try and tell me that League of Legends is a better, more dynamic game with a higher skill ceiling than SC2 and BW, and their apparent reasoning is because LoL is becoming more popular in Korea, and that all these progamers swapping to LoL are doing it because of it being a better game, not for the money.

hahahahahaha

my sides they hurt

Don't get me wrong, I play and enjoy LoL, but MOBAs aint got nothing on a good RTS.

The thing that MOBA's have (in particular LoL), over RTS's is accessibility that a traditional BW/SC2 style RTS doesn't have. I mean, yeh, the pro-gamers are moving to LoL because there's the most money there, but there is the most money there because it has the easiest accessibility, being "free to play", also being cute-cuddly, whimsical, funny, etc. make it a better appeal to both sexes.

LoL's barrier to entry is low, both financially, technically, culturally, even the way it ramps up new players on the leveling system is an easy on ramp. Then there's the stickiness of skins that keeps people playing. When you add in the obvious community focus from Riot, you get a huge playerbase, which just focuses "pros" attention there because there's more money.

It says nothing about which game is better or harder or requires more skill. It makes about as much sense as chess boxing. It says that LoL is clearly the most popular, and with popularity comes money, and you would be a fool if you were a person who was gifted with professional caliber vidya game skills and focused on a fading market (SC2) instead of red hot money rich market (LoL).

I'm willing to bet that Blizzard is very, very concerned that HoTS won't re-ignite the fanbase nor deflect away from the momentum that is the runaway train LoL. Riot is really the elephant in the room.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    except people don't normally talk about the elephant in the room

but riot and lol is all you ever talk about

Biosys on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    We should have starcraft boxing

But yeah, I feel 100x more supported by Riot than by Blizzard. Why was BNet 2.0 so fucking bad >_<

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Be that as it may, Joe, but that's not what I was arguing with my friends...

What we were arguing, they were wrong about. Objectively. And they couldn't give me any objective reasons why their opinion was at all legit.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Starcraft 2 has one person who does what all of 5 people do in LoL.

There's one important exception: you don't have to herd the other 4 fucking cats on your team in SC2, constantly.

(I'll give DOTA 2 mechanically more complex, but I don't think that it's a more difficult game per se than LoL, and I will maintain that LoL is a helluva lot easier to pick up)

• Options
    Starcraft Boxing would rock. Maybe we could throw fencing in there to make it a complete mishmash of skills required.

@Anzekay - I agree with you, if any defense of the pros moving to LoL is anything besides "there's a lot more money there", than that person is deluding themselves.

I really wish that I could say good things about SC2 and Blizzard, I do like them. Let me force myself to say something nice. HoTS beta has added some really good things. The changes to the GUI are desperately needed, a normal queue and a ranked queue are welcome additions. The life-style improvements in the game interface like auto-mining your starting peons and showing you peon count at each town hall are nice as well.

And I'm going to stop there before I say anything negative.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    It's much easier to have fun while practicing for eight hours a day. Mandatory downtime + lengthy low focus periods (no apm spam bullshit)

TannerMS on
  • Options
    TannerMS wrote: »
    It's much easier to have fun while practicing for eight hours a day. Mandatory downtime + lengthy low focus periods (no apm spam bullshit)

At the end of the day, if you're designing a game, you should be doing it so that your player base has fun while playing it. Kinda the purpose of games.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    If my "date" doesn't work out, I'll be on tonight for customs / teams.

That damn Pumkpin can wait.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Joe K wrote: »
    Starcraft Boxing would rock. Maybe we could throw fencing in there to make it a complete mishmash of skills required.

@Anzekay - I agree with you, if any defense of the pros moving to LoL is anything besides "there's a lot more money there", than that person is deluding themselves.

I really wish that I could say good things about SC2 and Blizzard, I do like them. Let me force myself to say something nice. HoTS beta has added some really good things. The changes to the GUI are desperately needed, a normal queue and a ranked queue are welcome additions. The life-style improvements in the game interface like auto-mining your starting peons and showing you peon count at each town hall are nice as well.

And I'm going to stop there before I say anything negative.

Thing I always gotta point out is that if you try hard enough you can say positive and negative things about every game ever.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Tempests look really good against colossi

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    joe dude you "like sc2 and blizz" but literally only ever complain about it

why would you say you like something and then immediately say you actually can't talk about it without being negative? doesn't seem to follow.

starcraft is fun enough for me I'd have played it with a literally blank UI that just automatched for ranked games. I don't like having teammates very much and I find the strategy involved in RTS games way superior to mobas.

Variable on
  • Options
    5pm and no power...looks like someone else will be winning pictionary tonight.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be busy tonight, so no customs for me. Sorry mates.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MLG starts tonight!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is the MLG show going to be free or pay? Don't say pay....
    DON'T SAY IT!!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I am hoping to be able to watch for free. it's listed on TL which I think means it has some method of free viewing. I may be wrong.

oddly, suddenly, mlg and teamliquid aren't loading for me. hrm.

edit - okay it's working, and the ad said 'upgrade to hd' so I -think- you can watch in sd without paying.

Variable on
  • Options
    Supposedly. I can't tell if nothing is streaming or if the stream is broken.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    mlg's main events have never been ppv, only the arena's have and they've stopped doing even that now

Biosys on
This discussion has been closed.