Options

Old STEAM Thread

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    u0yqi.png

That page is really good for knowing if Steam is acting up. If the graph suddenly drops even a little bit, there's a problem.

It's been completely down for an hour now, which is pretty annoying. It interrupting my Borderlands 2 co-op.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Data from Data Realms said in the latest video update when Cortex Command releases at the end of the month everyone who has a legit copy will get a Steam key. This is also what the Humble Indie Bundle promised.

I'm so happy about this, and I'm happy for Data Realms too. They've poured a lot of time and love into the game and put up with being accused of abandoning the game by tons of people. I watched most of the latest update video, showing the Campaign mode at work and it looks like they have a great game on their hands.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    They had a few problems with faulty hardware last night. Not sure if it is related but it's the first time I've seen the activity graph down to zero!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going with HL3. They tried creating the store page and their servers were is such shock that they all fried.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Maybe a new sale?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Hardware failure
    We are presently experiencing intermittent network outages caused by faulty hardware. We're working to install replacement parts as soon as possible.
    We replaced the faulty hardware last night and made some configuration changes at the same time to remedy the network issue.

We're publishing new server software at this time. That did start at 0800 as planned, but hit a snag. The public effect of the publishing process probably won't be visible for another 15 minutes or so.

• Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Maybe a new sale?

I like that Steam has us programmed to hope for a sale, no matter what the occurrence. It makes for a much more optimistic view of things. Sure, I can't play my games (I'm at work anyways, thankfully), and there's an opportunity for everyone to bitch about DRM and whatnot, but damnit, Steam has been such a positive force in terms of making game-buying and playing more convenient and cheaper that I don't mind an occasional hiccup. Plus, you just know there are guys at Valve running around frantically trying to get it all working.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Geez I wonder how that happens, here we had a power transformer blow and some faulty servers and came through everything okay (at a cost of a few million a day but still, work continued)

Sounds like Steam needs better failover!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's been completely down for an hour now, which is pretty annoying. It interrupting my Borderlands 2 co-op.
    [/quote]

I wish MY Borderlands 2 had co-op.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's up for me...and the midweek is Resident evil "Franchise". All two games on steam. they're only 50% off.

Learn how to steam, Capcom. You are BAD AT THIS.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Capcom still has PS1 style controls for their modern day Resident Evil titles. They don't seem to interested in evolving.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    heenato wrote: »
    It's up for me...and the midweek is Resident evil "Franchise". All two games on steam. they're only 50% off.

Learn how to steam, Capcom. You are BAD AT THIS.

Capcom is bad at predicting when Steam is down? Or is it just their paltry showing overall?

Anyway, a couple hours is just a hick-up and inevitability with something the size of Steam. Really something you can't fault it for. Way back in the "Holy shit this service is awful" days (2007 approximately) of the service, a few hours downtime was a minor issue. It's a reminder of how far the service has come, and that nothing is perfect in the end of the day.

Now, if this were a PSN style blowout, yeah, that would be rather disappointing. I'm confident it's not.

EDIT: Seems normal to be, when I opened Steam just to give it a test.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If anyone is wondering about the daily, Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, it's pretty great if you enjoy difficult single player, or if you can play coop with someone. Some of my best gaming memories of all time are playing Soldiers: Heroes of World War II coop with a buddy.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Capcom is bad at predicting when Steam is down? Or is it just their paltry showing overall?
    It's a paltry showing overall. RE5 is never on sale during the big sales, it never gets a deal, and now that it DOES? It's just 50% off. That's not a very good sale.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Capcom still has PS1 style controls for their modern day Resident Evil titles. They don't seem to interested in evolving.

Other than having to stop and shoot, RE5 is standard shooter controls.

RE5 only being 50% off seems kind of weak. I'm fairly sure that it was 75% off when I got it a couple of years ago, but that the base price was higher back then.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    It's a paltry showing overall. RE5 is never on sale during the big sales, it never gets a deal, and now that it DOES? It's just 50% off. That's not a very good sale.

It's not a very good game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

That may be, but it's still kinda amazing just how bad capcom is with sales.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I violently agree.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Everything Capcom does these days is "bad".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Capcom is so bad at PC

they release RE5 on PC months after console, it was mediocre to begin with, and it doesn't get much of a sale for years, it's only 50% during a midweek

Piracy is to blame! That's why we can't release Dragon's Dogma on PC you're all thieves!

sigh

• Options
    My theory is that no one wants to play DmC on PC. But I'm really just guessing.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Have they released Megaman 10 on Steam? Because it would probably do pretty well, what with the platformers always craving the next thing.

• Options
    It probably WOULD do well...but they probably wouldn't.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Capcom is so bad at PC

they release RE5 on PC months after console, it was mediocre to begin with, and it doesn't get much of a sale for years, it's only 50% during a midweek

Piracy is to blame! That's why we can't release Dragon's Dogma on PC you're all thieves!

sigh

And yet DMC4's PC version was the best one, wasn't it?

What the heck happened?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Wargame is also on sale, but I'll probably wait until it hits 9.99. Looks like a fantastically strategic RTS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    swRcS.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I wish MY Borderlands 2 had co-op.

they apparently patched today which should help some people With co-op issues. Hopefully!

...after Steam stops pooping itself, I guess.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Data from Data Realms said in the latest video update when Cortex Command releases at the end of the month everyone who has a legit copy will get a Steam key. This is also what the Humble Indie Bundle promised.

I'm so happy about this, and I'm happy for Data Realms too. They've poured a lot of time and love into the game and put up with being accused of abandoning the game by tons of people. I watched most of the latest update video, showing the Campaign mode at work and it looks like they have a great game on their hands.

I don't have a copy at all though; nor did I get it in whatever bundle it was in. Are they just going to put it up for sale in the Steam store?

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Capcom is so bad at PC

sigh

What the heck happened?

No one wants to play it on PC.
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Wargame is also on sale, but I'll probably wait until it hits 9.99. Looks like a fantastically strategic RTS.

It's amazing in many respects, just don't play against the AI. Ever.

You know how people say it's awful and cheats? It is literally true--AI units regenerate fuel as fast as they consume it. Because the AI is too awful to know how to efficiently move/refuel things.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

I don't have a copy at all though; nor did I get it in whatever bundle it was in. Are they just going to put it up for sale in the Steam store?

Yeah, it's going to be for sale through Steam very soon, from what Data Realms has been talking about.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    signature.png

Just a simple giveaway this week.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    And one last repost for the evening crowd:
    signature.png

I'll try and sort this out in the office tomorrow, otherwise it'll get sent out 5ish GMT, when I get back.

For some reason, handlebar moustache man in VII always makes me think of:

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I don't normally throw my hat into the ring and comment on how good are bad games are (except for Mirror's Edge, because if you don't like that game you are a dumbassgoose), but I want to give a vote of confidence to RE5 for those who are on the fence.

There are a couple of things to note, though.

I played it on the PS3, so I can't vouch for the PC port. And I played it with a friend.

Anyway, if you have someone to co-op with you, it's incredibly fun. My friend and I enjoyed it so much, and played it so often, that it literally destroyed his marriage. Literally.

True, it's not survival horror like the original PS1 games were. But it's an incredibly well done Action game.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Capcom is so bad at PC

sigh

What the heck happened?

DMC, Bayonetta, et al are games you want to play on a console

You want to use a controller for them, that's a niche on PC at best

Dragon's Dogma is a game absolutely suited for PC. Even bad open world RPGs sell modestly on PC

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I've never understood why people hand-wave off the idea that some people are totally happy playing "controller games" on a PC.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I use a controller on my PC games that aren't FPS, fighters, or strategy games.

You know, since most of them are ported from consoles anyway these days.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I use a controller on my PC games that aren't FPS, fighters, or strategy games.

You know, since most of them are ported from consoles anyway these days.

The only PC games I don't play using my 360 controller are online shooters and those games that don't have controller support.

I didn't bother to replace my PS3 after it was stolen, and I honestly don't think I've turned my 360 on in three years.

The idea that the audience for PC ports of console action games is too niche to consider is very, very silly.

Unless I missed how nobody bought the PC versions of Dark Souls or Darksiders II.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I don't normally throw my hat into the ring and comment on how good are bad games are (except for Mirror's Edge, because if you don't like that game you are a dumbassgoose), but I want to give a vote of confidence to RE5 for those who are on the fence.

There are a couple of things to note, though.

I played it on the PS3, so I can't vouch for the PC port. And I played it with a friend.

Anyway, if you have someone to co-op with you, it's incredibly fun. My friend and I enjoyed it so much, and played it so often, that it literally destroyed his marriage. Literally.

True, it's not survival horror like the original PS1 games were. But it's an incredibly well done Action game.

Yeah I played it on 360 and while it's no RE4, its a competent action game. Sure the story is eye roll inducing at times, and it can be frustrating, but its not terrible.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Thank you SO MUCH @Handgimp for Torchlight 2! Just finished painting another room and what a way to celebrate!

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Capcom is so bad at PC

sigh

What the heck happened?

No one wants to play it on PC.
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It's amazing in many respects, just don't play against the AI. Ever.

You know how people say it's awful and cheats? It is literally true--AI units regenerate fuel as fast as they consume it. Because the AI is too awful to know how to efficiently move/refuel things.

Bastables and I play wargame from time to time and it's always a blast. Well worth $20.

fwKS7.png?1
This discussion has been closed.