As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Good ol' Emacs.
    yeah they were pretty snazzy looking
    ovC8Cfg.jpg?1

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Also apparently ctrl+D is forward delete @OneAngryPossum
    Ctrl+A: Beginning of line (like Home)
    Ctrl+B: Backward one character (like hitting the left arrow)
    Ctrl+D: Forward delete (like the Forward Delete button on Macs)
    Ctrl+E: End of line (like End)
    Ctrl+F: Forward one character (like hitting the right arrow)
    Ctrl+H: Backward delete (like hitting the Delete button on Macs)
    Ctrl+K: Kill/remove text between cursor and the end of the line
    Ctrl+N: Next line (like down arrow)
    Ctrl+P: Previous line (like up arrow)
    Ctrl+U: Remove/delete current line
    Ctrl+V: Page down
    Ctrl+Y: Paste text which has been "killed" by Ctrl+K
    http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answers/readonly/the-one-delete-key-moves-left-is-there-a-single-keystroke-way-to-delete-right-with-this-keyboard/QKTDPPDJD9XPFFUTA

Thanks, butI think that's for the smaller sized wireless keyboard, actually. The smart cover keyboard is still lacking on this one.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So we expect announcement of iPhone 7 and whatever else on the 7th. Then orders can happen on 9th is how it usually works, right?

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Just got my first smartphone, iPhone SE

it feels that there's some gem apps out there that are really cool, but there's just a ton of chaff to work through. Any starter sources or features not immediately apparent I should be aware of?

I'm a bit sour I now have to install iTunes on my PC, but what can you do

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Why do you have to install iTunes now?
    P.sure you can run the phone fully standalone now… only need a PC/Mac install of iTunes if you want to be creating local backups. Not that those aren't useful to have around but they aren't strictly required.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I have a lot of podcasts I listen to, and so far it seems I need iTunes to get the MP3 files on it properly? Unless Google lied to me

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Have you tried looking for them in the podcasts app and/or installing an alternative podcast app?
    Unless you mean uploading episodes you've archived but the 'cast doesn't serve anymore, or similar, in which case yeah you do need iTunes.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I currently have an iPad mini (v2 retina) and an iPhone 5s. I use both a lot

Mini: Reading books, magazines, email, YouTube, light Office work, Windows remote access

iPhone:
    Email, browsing, music, messenging and calls ;)

For my next update I would like to go iPhone Plus and get rid of the two devices - what's your experience - can it replace an iPad? How is the app situation - do I have to deal with blown up iPhone apps, or are the more akin to their iPad counterparts? Are there nice options to store the iPhone Plus? (Belt clip etc.)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Apple's built in podcast app is pretty poor, imo. I would replace it now since you're just getting started and it will save you the pain of moving over later.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I suggest Overcast. May be the most-used app on my phone, actually.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »

Mini: Reading books, magazines, email, YouTube, light Office work, Windows remote access

iPhone:

For my next update I would like to go iPhone Plus and get rid of the two devices - what's your experience - can it replace an iPad? How is the app situation - do I have to deal with blown up iPhone apps, or are the more akin to their iPad counterparts? Are there nice options to store the iPhone Plus? (Belt clip etc.)

I would like a community response to this question as well. :)

• Options

iPhone:

I have a 6s Plus that I use as my primary device these days. I originally bought so I wouldn't need to tore my iPad mini everywhere and in this it has been supremely successful. The device is small enough to be truly portable and the screen is big enough to use full websites with.

First, it does everything the standard model iPhone does without issue; just bigger. No "zoom" either like in the iPad, as pretty much every iPhone app has a "plus" sized layout available.
    I have no issues reading on it (Pocket is really good for this) and have found YouTube on the bus to be fantastic. Very light office work is fine and email is great because you can flip it on its side and get the two column view like in the bigger devices.

What you don't get though is space. It's big but not actually big enough to make Remote Desktop truly functional. Usable yes but not great. Equally full magazines may have issues with layout and shrinking images if they aren't flowed properly but that's more on the publisher than the phone. Nor do you get slide-over and two-app views.
    As such I've found it hasn't replaced my iPad totally – it still hangs on at home as my bedside table device, but I'd never even consider taking it out anymore unless I was showing someone something or knew I was going to be somewhere with the time and space to use it.

Hope that helps.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

iPhone:

I would say out of the things you use the mini for, the plus would cover email, light office work, youtube and possibly some books depending on how well you use it.

Remote access is pretty awful on one and magazines are a real hit or miss depending on how well optimised they are for.

Another thing to note is that it's still a phone so some of the ipad apps you have will have to revert to the phone version.

Otherwise I love my 6s Plus (also love the 6 plus when I had it) and has been my general work device for a long while (At this moment do not have a tablet computer).

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    This is only my personal experience, so take that as you will. I got a 6+ two years ago for the same purpose, to combine my smaller phone and tablet into one device. Even though it does pretty well, and I used it that way for quite a while, I eventually found myself still pining for the larger screen of a tablet or laptop. In time, went back to my old habits of two devices... the phone for phone stuff I always have with me, and a larger tablet for games and movies and stuff. So for me, trying to combine into one device didn't really work out so well.

In fact, I'm strongly considering going down to the smaller version when the new ones come out. I love the 6+, but there are times I miss the smaller form factor and being able to easily type one handed.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I suggest Overcast. May be the most-used app on my phone, actually.
    Agreed, Overcast is the shit.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Downcast, motherfuckers!

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    +1 for Overcast. The stock Podcasts app is butt

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll get the standard iPhone (6s or whatever the current model is) and replace the mini down the line with a model with more storage (that's basically the only thing which bothers me).

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll get the standard iPhone (6s or whatever the current model is) and replace the mini down the line with a model with more storage (that's basically the only thing which bothers me).

If you can wait a week or two, the new model is to be announced tomorrow, so you can either get the 6s for cheaper or just get the new hotness(this is my plan!).

• Options
    Thank you. It still takes a while until I take the plunge - I either go with a cheaper 6s or the iPhone 7.

• Options
    My 2+ year old 5S, which is in otherwise mint condition, doesn't really want to consistently charge anymore. How timely. Hope pre-orders for the 7 go up tomorrow/soon.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    My 2+ year old 5S, which is in otherwise mint condition, doesn't really want to consistently charge anymore. How timely. Hope pre-orders for the 7 go up tomorrow/soon.

What step is it failing at? Because if it's not buzzing and showing the charging indicator it may be as simple as cleaning out the port on the phone. You can do it with compressed air or (in an emergency) a toothpick.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

What step is it failing at? Because if it's not buzzing and showing the charging indicator it may be as simple as cleaning out the port on the phone. You can do it with compressed air or (in an emergency) a toothpick.

yea, that lightning port gets gunked up very easy. It doesn't take too many dust bunnies to keep it from seating.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

I cleaned it out with a toothpick, and there was definitely some gunk. I just have to make sure it's pushed in all the way; even the slightest bump of the cable will cause it to stop charging. Not a huge deal, but I definitely want the new phone anyway, mostly because having 16GB on my 5S just doesn't cut it anymore.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I cleaned it out with a toothpick, and there was definitely some gunk. I just have to make sure it's pushed in all the way; even the slightest bump of the cable will cause it to stop charging. Not a huge deal, but I definitely want the new phone anyway, mostly because having 16GB on my 5S just doesn't cut it anymore.

don't use a toothpick, it's not quite hard enough and if it breaks off in there you might be in trouble

I use an unbent paperclip. You can dig around the back side of the port fairly vigorously if you're brave, it's just a piece of plastic without any working parts. all of the delicate connectors and the flanges that keep the plug in place are on the sides and top/bottom edges. You definitely want to be careful around those

I scoop out surprising amounts of pocket lint from customers phones on a regular basis and haven't damaged any yet. It's a common problem. It gets compacted pretty hard in there if you force it because it isn't staying in.

anyone got a link to a decent liveblog of the event? I won't be able to watch video while at work and would like to be able to answer dumb questions and dispel rumors without waiting until tomorrow

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! As for the liveblog, I usually use Macrumors, or Gizmodo if I'm feeling dirty.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

don't use a toothpick, it's not quite hard enough and if it breaks off in there you might be in trouble

I use an unbent paperclip. You can dig around the back side of the port fairly vigorously if you're brave, it's just a piece of plastic without any working parts. all of the delicate connectors and the flanges that keep the plug in place are on the sides and top/bottom edges. You definitely want to be careful around those

I scoop out surprising amounts of pocket lint from customers phones on a regular basis and haven't damaged any yet. It's a common problem. It gets compacted pretty hard in there if you force it because it isn't staying in.

anyone got a link to a decent liveblog of the event? I won't be able to watch video while at work and would like to be able to answer dumb questions and dispel rumors without waiting until tomorrow
    Here's one:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/liveblog-apples-september-2016-iphone-event-starts-tomorrow-at-10am-pacific/

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

I usually use the macrumors one, I think, and it's all right. I don't think they have a link up for it yet.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Tim Cook karaoke.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    mario is coming to the app store. i am ded.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    ...flappy Mario?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    From macrumors live blog:
    In a now-deleted tweet, Apple said the iPhone 7 is available for pre-order "now," suggesting directly following today's event. The tweet also confirmed a September 16 release date.

I'm ready.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm on the S cycle, so not terribly excited about the 7...but the headphone jack thing is funny to me. People all over the internet losing their shit over it, claiming Apple is just trying to make a buck. Which would be a valid argument I guess if every new iPhone 7 didn't ship with the 3.5mm -> Lightning adapter. There is literally nothing to complain about but people will complain none the less.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean if anyone thought they were going to ship the first phone without a headphone jack and not include an adapter...I don't really know what to say. Now the 7s/8? Maybe it gets dropped as a pack-in then -- but not on the first go.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    People are maybe annoyed that there's literally no selling point to the new phone other than the extra pain in the arse of keeping track of the headphone adapter

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Then people should get over it and realize phones have reached the point PC's did ten years ago. The days of a new phone release having gobs of whiz bang gee whiz features is basically over. We've reached the incremental changes, faster internals, stage. It would be one thing if I saw phones from the Android side releasing with a billion new features, but I don't. Take the Note 7, it's great new feature of the Note 6 is that it explodes. Other than that unintended side effect it's effectively the same phone with a slightly faster Snapdragon in it.

We were joking about it at work today. Phone makers have no where to go but environmental protection at this stage. I fully expect the iPhone 7S to be EM shielded, because what else besides faster internals do you do to it?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    OS updates are a lot more important then hardware updates, at this point.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    More refined haptics seems like the current Apple push (alongside camera improvements that are probably incredible but I have no ability to appreciate).

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Battery and power use updates are the important hardware updates.

Removing the headphone jack is just creating a solution for a problem which didn't exist. Headphone jacks are awesome. Wired headphones are great and super cheap. Wireless headphones are rubbish and super expensive.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Yea, the only real tech you can upgrade to is OLED screens for quality, because the resolution is already so high that you can't really go anywhere else after OLED, better camera tech and better battery life.

Like admanb said, OS is everything, and the eco system it connects to. The more seamless stuff my phone can work with, the cooler it seems.

I'm not an every year upgrade though. I kept my iPhone 4 for 3 years until apps stopped being supported (and OS 8 was SLOW). Except for the camera stuff my 5S is still trucking along perfectly content.

I might upgrade next year to the 7S if the full face OLED screen rumors end up being true. I would like an apple watch s2 though, seems like there have been a ton of improvements to the hardware and software.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981