As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 1, 2012 - Gyroism

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well gyroscopes would be weird.

Wrong spelling and country to be referring to benefit cheques.

I'm guessing he's talking about the food? Which seems to be what in Britain we would just call a kebab.

In relation to the food, do you pronounce it rhyme with 'Hero' then?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    RIP City of Heroes
    April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012
    RIP Paragon Studios
    November 2007 - August 31, 2012

I've been playing City of Heroes (still do) for almost 7 years now, since approximately the release of the Issue 4 update (May of 2005). It sounds really stupid to some people, but losing the game is like losing your favorite place to hang out, and losing some of your best friends. I cried, I'll admit it.
    There's been an effort to do something to stop it, but it's inevitable. Several community members are trying to get NCSoft to sell the IP or the game to another company, or the remains of Paragon Studios, but from their silence it's pretty obvious that they'll refuse and will let the IP mothball as they've done with Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa.
    From what we've been told by staff, there was no indication that this would happen. The team at Paragon Studios showed up to work on August 30, and were terminated by NCSoft. No warning, nothing. In fact, the latest major content update (Issue 24) is playable on the beta server, and was probably only 2 or 3 weeks from being released. The day they were let go the art team had gotten art for Issue 28 finished and approved, and preliminary stuff was being done up until Issue 32. Issues typically came in 2-4 month intervals. I'll let you work out the math on this one. (DISCLAIMER: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Going off reports from staff on the forums and Twitter)
    I don't know what I'll do afterwards. Some are moving to The Secret World, but my computer barely plays it. I started playing DC Universe Online, but the character creation and costume system is garbage. All my friends play Guild Wars 2, and I really want to play it, but I just don't want to support the publisher after the way they treated Paragon. One day I'll probably get over it and buy it.
    The game doesn't shut down until 12:00 AM PST on November 30, so if you have an active account, or used to play, log in and say goodbye with us.

(I had been hoping that Tycho would at least mention it in a newspost; I didn't expect a full comic. Sorry if this seems a little melodramatic.)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    For a second there I almost went on a mindless and murderous rampage... A world without gyros... what a silly thought...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUWZRL36nSGVgzXEF61I6nAEPUixD-S548FLTjlsOFW2knkBXp

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yes, @Jam Warrior, the proper pronunciation rhymes with hero.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I thought it was pronounced like Euro.

• Options
    Well, really, it's sort of Yee-roe. So split the difference I guess? A lot of people do say hero though. And there are some who say jye-roe, like gyroscope.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Either way I'm super hungry right now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was monumentally bummed when City Of Heroes got cancelled.

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    First panel is awesome.

and wait... It's not pronounced Ji(long I)-ro? (you know, like gyroscope)

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Mmmmmmm... delicous Gyro's.....

....I'm sorry, I forgot what we were talking about.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    "Yeer-o" is how I've heard it referred to here in Ohio.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

I'm guessing he's talking about the food? Which seems to be what in Britain we would just call a kebab.

I don't know what a Giro is that you linked to, but here's the wikipedia page for gyro (with pronunciations!): gyro

And wait, Brits don't call these kababs?!

275px-Sturgeon_Kebab_%282887202689%29.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NoisyPerlinNoisyPerlin Registered User regular

Not so! We actually have kebabs (and call them kebabs) too. A Gyro's a little different. It's a Greek roasted spiced lamb mixture. Tastes a little different than grilled kebab meat, though it's sort of tough to describe. Usually it's served on a pita, with lettuce, tomato, onion, and feta cheese, and is heavenly. Souvlaki's a little more like what you'd call a kabob.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    The tzatziki sauce is also a thing. A really fucking delicious thing. There's a restaurant out here that's essentially your usual Applebee's/Chile's/whatever and they serve a pretty tasty gyro platter with some coleslaw. It satisfies me in the tummy parts.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, the shutdown of CoH is a bit depressing. I haven't really played it in a couple of years, but once upon a time it consumed my life. There are social connections I made, in game, that I still have in real life today. In fact, Comradebot was one of my heroes (after Drunk IrishMan), and its a name that I've since adopted for all of my social online use (because a Soviet Cyborg controlled by the brain of a Cold War era Soviet general is just too awesome).

The original C-Bot:
    Comradebot.jpg

And thank you, Mr. Douglas Schuler (wherever you are), for being awesome enough to render ALL of Lone STAR:

(spoilered for size)
    LoneSTAR-Lineup.jpg

Comradebot on
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wight Rider fades into the sunset. My zombie gunslinger from the old west will never hunt down another serial killer escaped from Hell again. :( At least I can recreate Baron Crimson in DC Universe, no such look for Wight Rider. No cowboy stuff, no old west style revolvers.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I closed my account years ago, but I'll be sad to see Angry Jerk and Heal-Bot 6000 go.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    InXplotch wrote: »
    First panel is awesome.

It's pronounced that way in New England....

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's like...

Yeeecherrrrroo.

Where the ch is a very, very faint sound like in channuka, and the r rolls.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Wight Rider fades into the sunset. My zombie gunslinger from the old west will never hunt down another serial killer escaped from Hell again. :( At least I can recreate Baron Crimson in DC Universe, no such look for Wight Rider. No cowboy stuff, no old west style revolvers.

Which is just one of the reasons why DC Universe has failed to replace CoH in our hearts.
    Because frankly the DC Universe character generator sucks when compared to the CoH one. Quite possibly it even sucks compared to the "first launch" CoH character creator.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    So, no mention of Champions Online in this thread yet. Is that because it's that bad? I've never played it, CoH, or DCUO, just curious.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »

I don't know what a Giro is that you linked to, but here's the wikipedia page for gyro (with pronunciations!): gyro

Woops! Obviously copied the wrong link there.

We call them Doner Kebabs, but usually it just gets shortened to kebab. We call stuff on skewers kebabs as well, the point being that the Doner (Gyro) meat was also on a skewer! Just a big metal one and only whilst being cooked.

Fun to see that Gyro and Doner Kebab both have separate wiki pages despite being the same thing with a different name!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So, no mention of Champions Online in this thread yet. Is that because it's that bad? I've never played it, CoH, or DCUO, just curious.

Champions Online honestly felt in some ways like a bad copy of CoH... to me at least. Not to mention it played basically like Star Trek Online, but with full focus on ground combat (though better than STO, at least until STO got that re-do of ground combat). It's just not a winning recipe. Of course, I played far more STO than most folks alive, but that's more because I'm a massive Trekkie. Even after a few years of improvement, STO is at best only OK.

Still, the point is simple: Champions Online is absolute crap compared to City of Heroes. Part of me wishes I could do one last Hammy raid.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2012
    Champions Online is like the K-Mart version of City of Heroes. I actually don't give a damn about it's characters, or story, unlike CoH. They are cheap knock-offs compared to the loving expys of City of Heroes. Unless you spend obscene amounts of money, you can't really customize your character either.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Woops! Obviously copied the wrong link there.

We call them Doner Kebabs, but usually it just gets shortened to kebab. We call stuff on skewers kebabs as well, the point being that the Doner (Gyro) meat was also on a skewer! Just a big metal one and only whilst being cooked.

Fun to see that Gyro and Doner Kebab both have separate wiki pages despite being the same thing with a different name!
    When we had our choir tour in Europe, most of the choir half-lived on doner the whole month. God that stuff was good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragonWellDragonWell Registered User new member
    Thank you for bringing attention to what is going on with City of Heroes/Villains. There are currently efforts underway to save City of Heroes.

• Options
    vermillianvermillian Registered User new member
    Is anyone going to call Tycho on this?

"I went to Card Kingdom to get a copy of Android: Netrunner, and I was not able to because the game no longer exists outside of people’s collections and the occasional overlooked shop."

But... Tycho. The game that no longer exists is called Netrunner.

ANDROID: Netrunner most assuredly does exist, and was just released by Fantasy Flight Games and is a remake of your beloved Netrunner.

And for lovers of Warhammer 40K the card game, that, too, has an interesting companion remake, by Fantasy Flight Games again, as well.

Both of these products in easier to consume non-booster pack format...

• Options
    JimmyDarkmagicJimmyDarkmagic Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    First panel is awesome.

By some, but not all. I'm a Masshole, and I pronounce it "yeero" or, if I'm feeling lazier, "hero."

• Options
    DestinPsDestinPs Registered User regular
    CoH closing brings me back to Shadowbane closing. There was so much colorful investment into the characters of both games, and even though I would of never played it again it's a little sad thinking back and reminiscing.
    I think that shadowbane had potential for a come back but only as a new standalone sequel..

• Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    See, the things on sticks are Shish-kebabs. The things in pita bread are Doner-kebabs.

Only I moved to Canada and here they're called Donair Kebabs. MAAAAADNESS!

• Options
    notacatgirlnotacatgirl Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    There's a pretty hefty campaign under way to convince NC Soft to sell COH/V to another publisher, and a petition already has over 20,000 signatures. The campaign has attracted the attention of Mercedes Lackey, Neil Gaiman, Laurel K Hamilton, Sean Astin, Felicia Day and a whole bunch of comic/sci-fi writers who's name I can't remember.

You can find information about the campaign here, and the petition is here. There's a rather impressive rallying cry on Youtube here.

If anyone here played, used to play, loves the game, or just thinks that publishers should pull the plug on their products as a last resort (particularly when the game is profitable and subscriber numbers on the rise) not the first one, we'd be grateful for any support you could give.

A huge thank you for Penny Arcade for featuring City of Heroes, and to everyone who said such nice things about the game (and also kebabs) in this thread :)

notacatgirl on
  • Options
    Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    Apolloin wrote: »
    See, the things on sticks are Shish-kebabs. The things in pita bread are Doner-kebabs.

Only I moved to Canada and here they're called Donair Kebabs. MAAAAADNESS!

It depends on where in Canada you are. They call them donairs on the east coast and gyros in Ontario. To confuse things further, there are lots of places in Toronto that list them as different dishes on their menu. Typically donairs are more Canadianized while gyros are more traditionally Greek, but this varies.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    First panel is awesome.

By some, but not all. I'm a Masshole, and I pronounce it "yeero" or, if I'm feeling lazier, "hero."

See, I've heard two distinct synonyms:

Hero
    Gyro (like gyroscope)

Also used:

Sub
    Hogie

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    vermillian wrote: »
    Is anyone going to call Tycho on this?

"I went to Card Kingdom to get a copy of Android: Netrunner, and I was not able to because the game no longer exists outside of people’s collections and the occasional overlooked shop."

But... Tycho. The game that no longer exists is called Netrunner.

ANDROID: Netrunner most assuredly does exist, and was just released by Fantasy Flight Games and is a remake of your beloved Netrunner.

And for lovers of Warhammer 40K the card game, that, too, has an interesting companion remake, by Fantasy Flight Games again, as well.

Both of these products in easier to consume non-booster pack format...

What he meant is that it was sold out, because that game is super popular out here.

admanb on
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Gabe's pants much be made out of SPANDEX. Dat butt.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    trident042trident042 Registered User regular
    Three years later and CoH/V/GR remains dead and NCSoft remains an operational company. This is truly the worst timeline.

This signature now left intentionally blank.