As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - Postmortem

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Postmortem

Postmortem
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/postmortem

Squashing Bugs

Anonymous

Back in the mid-nineties, when I got my testing legs at a fairly large publisher (that had just started to peak), a bunch of us were testing late, pumped up on Coke and Starbursts. It was so late, in fact, that it had turned to morning, and the sun was peaking in through the windows. Apparently, one of the windows was open a crack, because a giant wasp (you know, the kind that has its abdomen separated by about an inch from its head part) had somehow infiltrated the QA area and was terrorizing us.

After a few over-caffeinated and unsuccessful attempts at swatting it in mid-air (which only served to piss it off even more), someone finally managed to hit it and stun it long enough that it fell to the ground, at which point a buddy of mine quickly squashed it. Another tester, clearly still in shock from the whole experience, asked, “What kind of bug was that?” My buddy who stepped on the wasp said, “A once bug.”

Geth on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is a once bug QA slang?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, are they going to start crediting the new artist on the strip at some point? Doesn't seem to get so much as a signature at the moment.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    “What kind of bug was that?” My buddy who stepped on the wasp said, “A once bug.”

Barrumm Tish! Thank you, he's here till Thursday, try the Steak Tartar.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @Jam Warrior
    Thanks for the concern :) But the area below the strip is still entirely correct since I don't own any of the copyright. I'll be added to the about page at some point, this just all happened kind of suddenly!

But I guess this is a good time to say heya everybody! I'm Mary Cagle and I'm drawing the Trenches now. I'll be lurking about, so feel free to tell me how I'm driving, as it were. I'm still learning to draw this world and its characters, but I'm very excited to be a part of it :)

CubeWatermelon on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    @Jam Warrior
    Thanks for the concern :) But the area below the strip is still entirely correct since I don't own any of the copyright. I'll be added to the about page at some point, this just all happened kind of suddenly!

But I guess this is a good time to say heya everybody! I'm Mary Cagle and I'm drawing the Trenches now. I'll be lurking about, so feel free to tell me how I'm driving, as it were. I'm still learning to draw this world and its characters, but I'm very excited to be a part of it :)

I'm sorry for all the nose related emails you are about to get.
    That said you are driving fine so far.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is a once bug QA slang?

Sort of like the Once and Future King, except without the crown.
    The Queen Bee has it.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Is a once bug QA slang?

I'm gonna assume it's a bug they only see once

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So it took me a minute to figure out why Cora is a ghost in the last panel.
    @Jam Warrior

@Cubewatermelon, you're doing a great job. The comic is a pleasure to look at.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Seconding the noticable improvement in the art lately. Keep up the good work.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    @Jam Warrior

I love your art. I really do.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just to echo the comments on the art - great work. I also enjoy the fact that the auditorium in space is actually named Space Auditorium.

• Options
    Just to echo the comments on the art - great work. I also enjoy the fact that the auditorium in space is actually named Space Auditorium.

You think it is named that because it is in space. Common misconception. It is actually named after wealthy philanthropist Etherington J. Space, who endowed the funds used for its original construction.

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    @Jam Warrior

I'm sorry for all the nose related emails you are about to get.
    That said you are driving fine so far.

Her avatar's nose looks like an almond still in it's shell! Get your pitchforks!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    MATPHATMATPHAT Registered User regular
    If only the writing would improve as much as the art!

264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think the art style was my primary issue with the strip (that and really hating the character design of Q). Overall I'm much more hopeful for the it than I was in the past. Just think how much more funny the strip about going through headphone guy's old PC would have been if the pinup girl hadn't been so creepy looking.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I was expecting that story to end "and then the wasp fired us all and we didn't get paid."

BahamutEos on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    The art is great but I wish we could get back to the actual plot so to speak that was building last 'season' and has now basically disappeared :\
    This happens on PvP all the time and I hope that's not going to be the case of the trenches

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    emskadittleemskadittle QA Lead Registered User regular
    ” My buddy who stepped on the wasp said, “A once bug.”

I would have called that a closed bug

I am not criticising your work, I am testing it!
  • Options
    emskadittleemskadittle QA Lead Registered User regular
    a bug that only happens once are the crappiest of all because either you will spend forever trying to reproduce it for dev or you will be asked why you didn't find it by some management type who hits it the one time the use the system

I am not criticising your work, I am testing it!
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    @Jam Warrior

Seriously though the new art is great. I was wondering why it suddenly started looking so damn sharp.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't really get this plotline. What MMO dev would ever do a rollback of presumably weeks worth of progress for all players because of an economy exploit? It would be suicide. Even supposing it was impossible to fix it programatically, they would be far better off just manually going over the richest players one by one and removing the money.

Also, isn't the team part of a QA outsourcing company? Why are they responsible for announcing the rollback?

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Also, isn't the team part of a QA outsourcing company? Why are they responsible for announcing the rollback?

They got carried over to act as the support team after launch. Unrealistic, yes, but it works better for story purposes than having the entire comic be set during the testing phase of a single game, or telling us the same group of characters keeps ending up together on one testing project after another.