As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows Installer problem on Windows 7

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
This is happening:

pyIOK.png

In this case, it's happening with Microsoft Security Essentials, which is kind of a big deal for me. It fails to install without error if I hit cancel on the prompt.

This also happens basically any time I try to install something through Steam, but in those cases usually hitting Cancel lets the rest of the install go through without issue, probably because I already have the necessary files in the SxS folder.

Searching for this problem is hard. There is a ton of irrelevant bullshit and the people having the same problem as I am having never report success in fixing it. Anyone know what I should do?

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Open regedit and see if this key is chillin

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

looks like your windows installer service is hung on an old task.

Also check this one
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations (this one could also just be \FileRenameOperations\)

it should have no entries.

Other then that might just want to reregister your installer

msiexec.exe /unregister

msiexec.exe /register