As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Free Weekend for Old-Timers (Updated!)

WrenWren ninja_birdRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
new edit: apparently an other free weekend for old-timers is coming up. I got a thing about in my email so chances are anyone who played before got the same one. but I felt I should update this anyways.

Basically the new one is from 15th to the 18th of June. Although last time they gave an extra day or so as well. Again this includes 50% more xp and +1 level of stuff from chests. Also "special in-game events" but as I remember it, that was just the taverns spawning random monsters for no loot or experience, just death penalties.

new stuff since last time would include (quoted from email)

New Enhancement System: Every rank counts! With 70 ranks, creating unique characters that match your play style is easier than ever! Specialize or generalize, the choice is yours!

Mod 4.0: Reaver’s Bane: Our latest free update for DDO increased advancement up to 14th level (rank 70), and included new dragons and outdoor adventure areas (Cerulean Hills for low-level characters and Gianthold for high-level heroes).

Dragonmarks: These marks allow for greater character customization and new abilities. These stylish markings are sure to be all the rave!

Friends List Enhancements: Add personal notes about your friends, as well as look at their class, level, guild, and online status.

Main thing I guess would the level cap going up to 14 and more dungeons to do over and over and over.. I don't believe they've added in any new races or classes since then. Which is a shame really but they are apparently working on monks (or druids? I forget) and half-orcs.

(old stuff, last update)It seems DDO is letting all its old deactivated accounts play for the weekend (although it started yesterday and there's 5 days left). They just revamped their enhancement system this week, and depending on when you last played there IS a bunch of new stuff to do. 'course its still a pain trying to find a group. Anyways here's the press release with more info:

www.ddo.com

Welcome Back Weekend!
[15-Mar-2007]

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreachâ„¢ would like to welcome back our former players for a very special weekend. If you're a former DDO player, you can play all weekend for free. All you have to do is log in and your characters will be waiting for you. We can't wait for you to see all of the amazing things that have happened since you left!

From Friday, March 16th through Sunday, March 18th we will be celebrating by offering an additional +50% XP and +1 to loot for ALL players. There will also be special live events throughout the weekend so keep your eyes open.

Also, if you haven't logged in for awhile, be sure to visit your trainer to take advantage of the new enhancement system! All of your previous action points have been refunded to you so that you can customize your character the way that you want. If you’d like more information, click here to visit the forums.

There's also a big content patch next month, which includes raising the level cap to 14. Also, lots of dragons to kill.

If you're looking for fellow PA'ers then The Fancy Lads on the Khyber server might be what you want. Of course no one has logged on for a month it says.

If you haven't played before then there's still a 10 day trial you can play here: http://trial.ddo.com/ (you'll still benefit from the 50% extra xp and better loot)

tf2sig.jpg
TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
Wren on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Noooooooooooo.

Esh on
  • NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the fact that they are trying to add new stuff to the game, but the rate of 2 levels in the past year is far from sufficient in my opinion.

They should have developed the game all the way to level 20 before release. It would have done much better, i think.

Nswyers on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno; I never bothered with the 3.5 trash, but by 3.0 rules if you were making level 14 in a year of normal DnD then your DM was probably giving out xp like candy. Wasnt 16+ like demigod levels?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    I dunno; I never bothered with the 3.5 trash, but by 3.0 rules if you were making level 14 in a year of normal DnD then your DM was probably giving out xp like candy. Wasnt 16+ like demigod levels?

Not hardly, but it was more than enough to wipe the floor with most creatures you would find in low-threat areas. You would actually have to track down something capable of doing you in without catching you unawares...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, this is Ebberon, not the Forgotten Realms. Having a ton of level 20's walking around would rape the canon.

jothki on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Too bad all it takes is a weekend to see all this game has to offer. I might go back though. I thought the combat was fun at least.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arrrg, bad memories.

OK, first of all, this game, I heartily believe, would not even be in existance at this point had it not been for all those weekend beta periods that hooked us. Little did we know that the content we experienced in those three day stretches actually constituted about 75% of the game content at that point.

There are enough silly "WTF" mechanics in it to chase away anyone a week into play.

I resubscribed about 4 months ago to see if it had improved, it hadn't, people level 9+ were still running Catabombs for reputation for the distant hope of a single item reward. Tragic.

DDO, in my opinion, is probably the biggest MMO bombshell of all time, usurping MxO and Auto Assault. Shining proof of a wasted liscence.

Jasconius on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    no, I don't think anything can beat MxO for biggest mistake ever

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't even know what MxO is.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Matrix Online.

jothki on
  • NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just hope someone, someday, takes the entire combat system of DDO (not necessarily the ruleset, but the mechanics of actual action combat) and makes a new MMO out of it... with some PVP features, and indepth crafting.. and... and...

why do I think this way?

Nswyers on
    edited March 2007
    DDO has some arena PvP now, and its getting a crafting system sometime this year (along with guild halls)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    So, there I am; thinking "WTF I'm not playing WoW, lets try all the MMO's that I have ignored the past few years that have trials."

So DDO was tonight...

God.

I uninstalled it already.

The Dude With Herpes on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    DDO has some arena PvP now, and its getting a crafting system sometime this year

Oh, you mean that stuff that other MMO's are launched with?

Jasconius on
    edited March 2007
    I was just clarifying for the previous post.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »
    I just hope someone, someday, takes the entire combat system of DDO (not necessarily the ruleset, but the mechanics of actual action combat) and makes a new MMO out of it... with some PVP features, and indepth crafting.. and... and...

why do I think this way?

I <3 you

I think the same way.

someday
    someday

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
    edited June 2007
    updated OP for more of the same.

also I know DDO is rather bad but its still more fun than CoH.. which isn't saying much I guess.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited June 2007

also I know DDO is rather bad but its still more fun than CoH.. which isn't saying much I guess.

DDO is more fun than CoH in the same way that dog shit tastes better than chocolate.

It doesn't; and it isn't.

Though I imagine out of 6 billion people there's bound to be a couple who like eating shit more than they like eating candy, so there you go.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2007
    opinions are great. especially when touted as fact (which I will admit as doing quite often)

anyways I fully expect DDO haters (opposed to tolerators, since its hard to love) to post here. much like starting a thread on SWG. comes with the territory

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WHERE ALL DA GNOMES AT?

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What? How can you even compare the two?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    edited June 2007
    its pretty easy, I tap on this keyboard device and make words

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really Disliked DDO because during beta, the devs were really intent: "No PvP, because then we need to worry about class balancing..." but later, do to idiot players wanting it so bad, they added it. I don't mind duels or anything like that, but it's like they are caving in, and making some weird hybrid of D&D that appeals to the masses when it really should not have. The early screenshots of the game looked really interesting and promising. Now? Well, it seems to have been really watered down....

Lucky Cynic on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Beautifully worded and convincing too. So if I play this DDO will I get a chance to play with you? If so I am running to the store tonight.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    edited June 2007
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Beautifully worded and convincing too. So if I play this DDO will I get a chance to play with you? If so I am running to the store tonight.

slow down, cowboy. I haven't played DDO in ages

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg