As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet connection problems- do I need a new wireless card?

Chiral_SpiralChiral_Spiral Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My internet connection is your standard wireless router set-up (Imagine Wimax, if anyone in Ireland is reading this) and I've always had a somewhat spotty internet connection, with both a store-bought Dell PC and now more recently with a custom built computer. Specifically I have random connection drop-outs and periods of low speed for seemingly no reason, and it gets worse when playing games online.

My brother and mom both use the same connection but don't experience any of these problems, which makes me think it might be because I use a Belkin USB dongle whereas they're on laptops with built in wireless cards. So my question is, do you think getting a PCI wireless card could help? I don't want to spend the money on one for nothing but I'm at my wits' end with this.

Chiral_Spiral on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Try using a computer that consistently works where you will be using your wireless. it could be your room. Another option is a powerline network. basically you buy a pair for like 80-100 bucks, plug one in near your router, and plug an ethernet cable into it. plug the other unit in near your PC and run a cable from it to your PC. VOILA fast interwebs (usually).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    How old is the house? How far from the access point is your room?

I was having endless issues with my wireless at my apartment, because of cross talk from other routers, thickness of walls, distance between my bedroom and router, etc. I had to get a dual-band router, so that I could connect devices on the 5.8ghz channel and that basically solved the problem for me. Even the 2.4ghz channel is better on this new router, with more signal strength, so even on that channel I get less problems.

TL;DR: As Frenchy said, it could be your computer, it could be the room. It could also be the router not being powerful enough/featureful enough to meet the demands you're putting on it. Try another computer in your room, and if the problem persists, it's like what I've described.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I had a no name wireless dongle awhile ago when I had a 3Mb connection. Got an upgrade to 22Mb on me service but my PC was still doing just under 3Mb. Actually went to my ISP to complain that they never changed my service but they assured me they did. Bought a Netgear USB dongle to see what would happen and boom got a connection near my 22Mb service.

So yeah it could be the dongle.

steam_sig.png