As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Runaway, Dream of The Turtle

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
TL;DR Version:

Adventure game with interesting story, great graphics and voice acting.
Originally released in Europe, now available in Canada and the US.
Also available on Steam.

Long Version:

Back in December I made a post (which has disappeared) about a game demo I'd played of Runaway. At the time the only demo available was in French. It was good practice for me and after about 5 minutes of playing the French side of my brain woke up and my comprehension improved enough that I could understand what was going on. What struck me however was how beautiful the game looked and how great the sound and voice acting was.

Runaway_header.jpg

Runaway has finally been released in Canada and the US, in an English iteration (the French version was released sometime in December). It's an adventure game in every traditional sense. You click on locations to walk your character around, pick up and interact with objects to solve puzzles and you go through dialog trees with other characters to learn clues to move forward.

The story is interesting, and although the characters hail from a previous game (Runaway: A Road Adventure), playing the first game is not necessary for Dream of the Turtle and if you are curious about what happened there is a short cinematic you can watch where Brian (the protagonist) explains the events of the first game.

You begin this game by tossing your girlfriend Gina out a crashing plane (talk about your relationship problems). When you pick yourself up from the wreckage you must find you way across the island and try to get Gina who has been kidnapped by the US military who have overrun the island looking for an alien artifact.

normal_R2_screenshot_06.jpg

Since Runaway is developed in Europe and since it's an adventure game I had to spend a little time looking around the city for a copy. I finally found one at a Futureshop, and then a week later I find out it's released on Steam. Doh! I would have much rather had digital copy than one on DVD, but at least the cover art is nice.

In fact, the cover art is pretty indicative of the care taken with the rest of the game. Every scene is beautiful and every character fleshed out with a neat history. One of the chapters in the games is even a throwback to Monkey Island (at least I thought so).

normal_R2_screenshot_16.jpg

The puzzles are challenging without being frustrating, and they always have a logical solution to them, and the information you need to solve them is usually found in the dialog trees. It's a fun game and I've enjoyed it more than say, my time with Sam & Max (although those are good too).

If you're a fan of adventure games I suggest giving it a try. There is a demo available either on the main website (http://www.runaway-thegame.com) or on Steam.

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This has been sitting at 9.99 for months at work, and I was totally thrown by the cover. Thought for sure it was shovelware, but I may have to check it out.

Alpine on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The original game is great, though, and for $9.99 you can't go wrong.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whoa

That second picture is defenitely giving me a Monkey Island vibe.

Also, the art style looks very similar to that cel-shaded French first person shooter, XIII.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    The original game is great, though, and for $9.99 you can't go wrong.

Yeah I bought it online through the main website. However, it comes with StarForce. So I guess you have to decide if that's worth it or not. (It is for me, and I can just removed StarForce when I'm done.)

Haven't played the original yet.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When they finally figure out that their current pricing scheme is insulting to potential customers outside of NA, I'll buy it without hesitation. As it is now however, I'm not going to even consider it.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You could always try and find a local copy. It could be cheaper than on Steam.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So its on Steam now, great news. Will get it when I actually have some time to play it...

Had a great time with the first one, played it over the holidays, after having it for some time. Funny story, I got it while I was living in Spain, I was at a store downtown Madrid that had a sale of 3 games for the price of 2. I had gotten The Longest Journey and Railroad Tycoon 3. I was undecided on the third game to get and saw Runaway, I had heard mixed opinions of it and while I was there looking at the box deciding to get it or not this guy that was standing besides me also looking at the games says "Oh its a great game you should take it.". I said something like "Oh you played it?" and he goes "Actually I´m one of the people who made it.". For those who don´t know the game was made by Pendulo Studios which is based on Madrid, we ended up chatting for a couple of minutes and he seemed to be a really nice guy. To bad I can´t remember his name I wanted to send him an email thanking him for the tip and congratulating on the game after I finished it.

Anyone knows if Steam has only the english version or are the international versions also there? I played the first one on spanish and saw more than a few jokes and expressions that I couldn´t see being translated into english without losing at least some of its strength, there was some great writing in there and the voice acting was also great.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    You could always try and find a local copy. It could be cheaper than on Steam.

Yeah, I know. I managed to find it for ~$32 but I'll wait a while and see if they comes to their senses about the Steam version. As much as I like a boxed copy, I think it's quite convenient being able to have as many of my games as possible available for download on Steam. I don't have any game stores around where I live, so I'd have to get it shipped here adding to the cost so it wouldn't be that much cheaper anyway.
    The price in itself doesn't bother me, as $50 is hardly that much in NOK (compared to many other games). It's just that I am unwilling to accept the difference between the European & US prices when it comes to digital distribution.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm the same way when it comes to Steam. I'd love to have all of my games there. Although I'm glad I have the boxed copy of Civ IV, since Warlords isn't compatible with the Steam release.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I played a bunch of the first game over the weekend (first two chapters) and it's a pretty awesome game. There are a few times where I have to do a pixel hunt (like I had to find some wrapper in a trash can to move forward). I never would have found this stuff without a guide, and when I get stuck I just hit up GameFAQs. Most of the puzzles I can figure out on my own though, it's just the occasional pixel hunt that gets me.

I never had that problem with Dream of The Turtle though.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    When they finally figure out that their current pricing scheme is insulting to potential customers outside of NA, I'll buy it without hesitation. As it is now however, I'm not going to even consider it.

Don't blame them. It's wildly popular in France at full price - 50 euros or whatever. I can understand why you wouldn't want to buy it, but Europeans are throwing cash at this game. It's not insulting, it's practical.

(Edit: I know this because I actually sat down with the PR guy from CDV and spoke to him at length about the game back in December.)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Anyone know when the third game is supposed to be released? The cliffhanger ending wasn't subtle about that.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How is the dialogue, translation and voice acting?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How's the, er, humor in this one? I thought the first game was really painful to play in that regard.

Thello on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I never found it very funny, but I've only laughed while a few adventure games (Grim Fandango and the latest Sam & Max [4]) so I'm probably not a good judge of the humour.

I did play a French demo and there were jokes in that which were taken out of the English version and replaced with different dialogue. It just never would have fit in the different language. That said, the voice work and translation is great. They translated context instead of word for word so you don't get weird language gaps.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The dream of the..

SEE THE TURTLE OF ENORMOUS GIRTH
    UPON HIS SHELL HE HOLDS THE EARTH

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I never found it very funny, but I've only laughed while a few adventure games (Grim Fandango and the latest Sam & Max [4]) so I'm probably not a good judge of the humour.

I did play a French demo and there were jokes in that which were taken out of the English version and replaced with different dialogue. It just never would have fit in the different language. That said, the voice work and translation is great. They translated context instead of word for word so you don't get weird language gaps.

How well translated was the game anyway? I played the first one in spanish and it had some great writing and voice acting. I remember laughing a lot when playing it, I just couldn´t stop laughing at almost every line said by the janitor at the museum, but I couldn´t see how a lot of the expressions that were used and made it that funny could be translated to english...

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just noticed the first game is also available on Steam. You can avoid the StarForce that way.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png