As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play [XCOM Enemy Uknown] : Overview / Walkthrough /LP intended for series vets

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
...This game.

I was following the development of this title in this forum, on the SA forums and on Firaxis's dev blog since it's announcement. I was very, very cynical / skeptical regarding the changes Firaxis intended to make to the formula, the streamlining of some of the game's components and some of the aesthetic choices. I didn't think I'd buy it.

Then it came out and, well, fuck all that shit. The XCOM project has been greenlit, and somebody has to run this show. Who's it going to be? You? Hahahaha. No.

I've been looking for LPs on YouTube that discussed optimal strategies since the game came out (and I kept getting destroyed on Classic difficulty), but I couldn't find any, so I just worked-out the fundamentals of the game through trial & error and, after deciding that this is probably going to be my favorite game since my discovery of League of Legends, thought about putting together such an LP myself. So, here it is.

This is going to be a very spoiler rich LP; it's certainly not a blind play through, and it's not really a conventional LP (probably to it's detriment): I'm going spend a lot of time discussing strategy and optimal build choices, as well as critiquing some of the game's design decisions that I don't agree with.

This game is fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJKh_y63JS8&feature=youtu.be

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I won't be watching this because I haven't bought XCOM yet, but I wish you the best of luck. LPing XCOM/X-COM seems to be the thing to do for Penny Arcaders lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8Om3MZ_bc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6lDGkTf-o

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I thought @Melding had dibs on this.

And Tycho it's BEEN something for Penny Arcadians to do, since Fishman's still not done with his now four year old Let's Play in SE++.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Fishman is purposefully not finishing because without it, he is merely Fishman, not Fishman of PA Xcom LP fame.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Ah, this will be fun. I certainly hope you fair better than my drunken attempt.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I thought @Melding had dibs on this.

And Tycho it's BEEN something for Penny Arcadians to do, since Fishman's still not done with his now four year old Let's Play in SE++.
    Yeah but have there ever been three people doing it simultaneously? I guess four since Fishman still counts.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have no idea what is going on, but alright.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Uh, that's pretty interesting that this thread shows up on the day I start my LP, haha.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's like more than one person has the right to do a Let's Play or something!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Once I get my PC copy installed, I was planning on doing an XCOM Jr. run -- all the soldiers named after Disney characters, all the missions with names like "Operation Cuddly Squirrels", etc.

But I'm not sure that deserves its own thread, I might just do it in the general XCOM thread.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @Klyka are you going to be posting it starting today?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    It's like more than one person has the right to do a Let's Play or something!

Madness!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I don't mind lots of people LPing this. It's great seeing how different players approach the problems the game presents and of course, there are always some wildly different skill levels/difficulties being played.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I feel like you made some serious mistakes in that second mission. The aliens had no fewer than four units in heavy cover, plus one more in low cover, and you willingly moved a guy up into range of all of them. Not only were you guaranteed to lose that rookie, but the aliens got to keep their incredible defensive position while weakening yours. And then, after killing half of them with a rocket (and thus getting everything you possibly could out of their positioning), you moved somebody else to the exact same place at that bench to die against the other half. Why not just pull everyone back and go into overwatch? That way you force them to advance into cover which is more favorable for you and you keep the initiative. They could still get heavy cover from the mausoleums, but at least you'd have a chance of being able to reach them with grenades from your own cover, unlike the central building.

And I'm baffled that you think Bullet Sworm is useless. You really can't see any situation where being able to shoot twice in one turn might be kind of useful? Even if all you care about is maximizing your odds of landing at least one shot on the enemy, Bullet Storm is still usually better. Three 45% shots are less likely to all miss than one 45% and one 55%. Same for four 45% shots versus one 45% and two 55%. You need three additional soldiers shooting the holo-targeted enemy before the +10 aim boost is even marginally than the whole extra shot at guaranteeing a minimum of one hit (and the average number of total hits might still be worse). Four soldier actions just to hit one guy once is pretty bad, in general. So not only is Bullet Swarm usually better at increasing the total number of shots you land, but it also increases your odds of being able to score a kill in fewer soldier actions, freeing up people to shoot other targets or overwatch or whatever. Not to mention the tactical flexibility gained from being able to, say, shoot and throw a grenade in the same turn, or shoot and reload, or shoot and overwatch (or shoot and suppress, but not taking the extra rocket isn't a mistake that I plan on making twice). Besides, nothing's more satisfying than taking HEAT ammo and having one soldier single-handedly shred a Cyberdisk to death from full in one round.

I'm also surprised you consider Europe to be the best starting location. I started there in my game and I regretted it. Labs and workshops (especially labs; research speed is probably the single least important thing you have to worry about) are just too low a priority. In practice you're spending everything you can on satellites, and what few scraps are left over in the first couple of months need to go to the officer training school and decent weapons and armor. You can't really start taking advantage of Europe's ability until you have disposable income, and if the income is disposable then you probably aren't in desperate need of the discount anymore. North America's discounts, small as they are, are in effect from the very first month, giving you money when you need it the most (and I think they get more initial cash from starting with coverage of the US, too). Unless you have some special build order where fast workshops give you an early discount on manufacturing such that they more than pay for themselves without delaying your satellite network, I just don't see the benefit.

Honestly, I'll probably go for Asia in my next game. There's so much stuff in the officer training school and the foundry that I wish I had, but which is always just a little bit more than I can afford. And they're expensive enough that the savings aren't at all insignificant...usually $100 at least for most of the OTS upgrades, which is a bunch more than Air & Space is likely to give you in a month. I'm not sure if it would actually beat a NA start in raw mathematical terms, but at the very least it's the most fun bonus, and it probably gives you the most midgame power on the tactical side of things. (Of course, it's also possible that I just feel guilty about being forced to throw the entire continent under the bus in my current game.) Africa's bonus is by far the best, but there's no reason not to put it off until later in the game.

Normally I wouldn't be so nitpicky, but you're framing this Let's Play as a guide of sorts, so hammering this stuff out is more important than it would otherwise be.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Stop it, Wilfred! Stop copying me!

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I wish you had held off starting this LP. I know there isn't any formal etiquette on LPs around here, but the game came out just a little over a week ago. I think the game needs some time to breath and be played by others.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Why would that be? You have to come into the thread, and then click the video, to have anything spoiled.

Will check this out. Just started playing this a few days ago, would be neat to see how other people play it.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I wish you had held off starting this LP. I know there isn't any formal etiquette on LPs around here, but the game came out just a little over a week ago. I think the game needs some time to breath and be played by others.
    This is silly talk. If you don't want to watch it, then don't.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

No, I won't. It would break the "3 month rule".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

I see. I did not know there were rules governing Let's Plays. Huh.

Well then, I guess I will be subscribing to your youtube channel then.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options

I see. I did not know there were rules governing Let's Plays. Huh.

Well then, I guess I will be subscribing to your youtube channel then.

Well it's less of a "rule" and more of a "gentlemen's agreement".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

I didn't say anything about him not being able to post it. I just believe that LPs shouldn't be done the second a game comes out. Granted, he's putting a hell of a lot more work into it than 99% of most LPs that come out this quick *cough*. However, it might not seem like that given its time frame.

I think this forum doesn't have any standards when it comes to LPs. The posts in this thread are proof of that. So, what's the point of taking the high ground sarcastically?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    And again, if you don't want to watch it you don't have to.

That's the beauty of the Internet.

Incidentally, I have always thought things like the "3 months" rule or whatever is complete and absolute nonsense. The only rule that makes sense to me is, if you don't want to watch it - then don't. Doesn't seem complicated to me in the least. I am currently watching this, Klyka (his is on YouTube actually, not posted here) and northernlion. You learn many interesting things about a game like this watching other people play, especially I have already finished a classic ironman game anyway. It's not like this is a particularly plot and story driven game - its the individual moments that happen like northernlion, who has not been playing the original over the past 18 years like me, discovering what chryssalids are for the first time that make it worth watching.

Aegeri on
  • Options

I didn't say anything about him not being able to post it. I just believe that LPs shouldn't be done the second a game comes out. Granted, he's putting a hell of a lot more work into it than 99% of most LPs that come out this quick *cough*. However, it might not seem like that given its time frame.

I think this forum doesn't have any standards when it comes to LPs. The posts in this thread are proof of that. So, what's the point of taking the high ground sarcastically?

We have a big LP thread that does throw down some ground rules and I respect that.
    Nothing sarcastic about it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry but let's plays are more interesting for games that have died off for awhile and not many people have experienced or its been so long you wouldn't mind seeing the game again through the the eyes of a newbie to the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone who'd love to watch a Let's play, since I don't have a console or a computer capable of running the game, I'm all for the school of "if you don't want to see it yet, then don't watch it."

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

We have a big LP thread that does throw down some ground rules and I respect that.
    Nothing sarcastic about it.

They aren't binding though. It's just SA's rules that are used more like guidelines around here. If they were really rules, then we'd have mods and such. I don't see the point of bringing that thread up when it's more of an archive for this place than an actual way to cut the wheat from the chaff. Hell, we still get dumps here from people. They obviously don't care about having an intercourse about the game with our community.
    Speaking as someone who'd love to watch a Let's play, since I don't have a console or a computer capable of running the game, I'm all for the school of "if you don't want to see it yet, then don't watch it."

That would work (though I never liked that doctrine since it ignores criticism) if I had some problem with the videos themselves. My pet peeve is the timing for the thread. It has nothing to do with the actual content itself. It's just a suggestion and not an actual point against the content itself. If you wish to look it that way, so be it. The Ender doesn't seem to have taken it as such.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Sigh. Apparently "If you don't want to watch it, don't click on it" really is an incredibly difficult concept.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Sigh. Apparently "If you don't want to watch it, don't click on it" really is an incredibly difficult concept.

You know, it must be great living in that glass house.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    And what glass house would that be? The entirely consistent opinion that I have where if I don't want to watch something, I don't? Would you care to name examples of me complaining about things that I don't actually have any intention whatsoever of watching anyway?

Here is a challenge: Find a single LP on this forum I have ever commented on where I have acted in any way like you have or even made a comment around "This game is so boring, why would I watch it". Have fun with that btw.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Everyone has heard your super fascinating opinion and would now like to talk about the topic at hand

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So (excuse me for asking) which PAers are running Let's Play's of this, and could I have links to those. Don't care who or how many, I just want stuff to watch while I can't play my own copy :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I agree I like some Let's Play videos of newer games, I can't afford X-Com but I like watching other people play it.

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So (excuse me for asking) which PAers are running Let's Play's of this, and could I have links to those. Don't care who or how many, I just want stuff to watch while I can't play my own copy :P
    The first two posts in this thread should pretty much have you covered.

• Options
    Well, I'll just use this thread real quick cause some people were asking. Here are the first 3 sets of my LP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5sYw49ls3I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNz2Nn34HEk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jAI6D-NI8

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Here's something I did that I also want attention for:

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Well if you did an X-COM LP I think this would probably be a good thread for it.

• Options
    I haven't consulted the official Penny Arcade user generated rule book for people doing Let's Plays, but I figured it's bad form to advertise yours in someone else's thread? No?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Frei wrote: »
    I haven't consulted the official Penny Arcade user generated rule book for people doing Let's Plays, but I figured it's bad form to advertise yours in someone else's thread? No?

I think it's bad form to basically thread hijack any topic. It's too bad The Ender hasn't posted here since he made the thread. It kind of makes the dialogue become scattered shot like this.

Shady3011 on