Options

Comcast holding my money hostage

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently moved and switched from Comcast to Fios. (A story for another time, but boy do I hate them both.)

Comcast over-billed me on my last statement, to the tune of about $55 bucks. I've been waiting for them to release the money to me, and I finally got a note from them in the mail.

They say I owe them 2 DTA's and 2 modems. How I could owe them two modems, I have no idea, as they only gave me the one, which I returned when I cancelled. I never had a DTA installed, because we only had the two direct cable connections, one from wall to modem, one from wall to box. When I cancelled, I gave them every piece of equipment they gave me back.

So, now their letter says I have to give them the equipment they say I have or I can't get my money back. Seems like a pretty clever trick to keep my $55. Anyone have any tips or even legal understanding to help me navigate what will inevitably be a painful series of calls with their customer support?

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    Give them a call, with the paperwork in hand, as it should have the serial numbers and/or mac addresses listed on it. They'll put in an equipment research request. After about a week the warehouse will tell them the equipment never went to you, but to some other account, who'll send it to accounting to credit. Then 4-6 weeks later you'll receive your check.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I think you're jumping the gun on this a little. You're asking for advice on something that hasn't even happened yet. I'd be surprised if a quick phone call didn't clear this up. You're going to need a little more information (say...from talking to them directly), otherwise you're just jumping to conclusions.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Oh, sorry, I forgot one bit. When I dropped the equipment off the lady said, "You're missing this equipment." I told her that didn't seem right, as I was returning all the equipment, she made some notes and let me leave. I'll make another call, but I definitely already told one of their reps that they never gave it to me. I will call them, though, and hope you're right.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Why didn't you stay there and get it figured out?

• Options
    Because when I said, "You never gave me that stuff" and she didn't disagree with me and instead made notes, I took that as disgruntled Comcast employee speak for, "Ok." She was trying hard not to talk to customers any more than necessary.

Called customer support. They said to wait a month and call them back in case they'd found it. I'm sure I'll post in this thread then to see what steps I have to take next to get my money.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Can you hit them with a chargeback through your bank/credit card company, or has it been too long?

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Because when I said, "You never gave me that stuff" and she didn't disagree with me and instead made notes, I took that as disgruntled Comcast employee speak for, "Ok." She was trying hard not to talk to customers any more than necessary.

Called customer support. They said to wait a month and call them back in case they'd found it. I'm sure I'll post in this thread then to see what steps I have to take next to get my money.

Yeah, don't walk away till you have a piece of paper that says you owe them nothing.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Give them a call, with the paperwork in hand, as it should have the serial numbers and/or mac addresses listed on it. They'll put in an equipment research request. After about a week the warehouse will tell them the equipment never went to you, but to some other account, who'll send it to accounting to credit. Then 4-6 weeks later you'll receive your check.

This person's advice.

Try taking this person's advice.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Can you hit them with a chargeback through your bank/credit card company, or has it been too long?

Well, what they owe me for is part of a bill that I was obligated to pay. I think a chargeback wouldn't be supported since I did owe them most of the money, just not the last $50. Also it's been like two months.

I have a receipt that says absolutely nothing at all on it from when I checked everything back in. It is the paperwork they gave me. "Don't ever leave without more paperwork" is not useful advice, as I left with paperwork saying I was cancelling. It didn't say I still owed them things.

I don't have serial numbers for anything. The paperwork they sent me doesn't have serial numbers on it. They ARE looking through the warehouse, as that's what they said along with, "Call us in a month." The specific advice I got was, "I'll put in a ticket. Call in a month, because they won't have called you back, and hassle them to see if they'll give you your money back yet."

• Options

I have a receipt that says absolutely nothing at all on it from when I checked everything back in. It is the paperwork they gave me. "Don't ever leave without more paperwork" is not useful advice, as I left with paperwork saying I was cancelling. It didn't say I still owed them things.

That's not at all what I said.

• Options
    What you said is a thing that they don't do. For this very specific reason, I'm sure. The hourly clerk who has to put up with dissatisfied customers cursing at her all day (Because Comcast IS terrible) is not going to invent a new receipt for me, Esh.

• Options
    What you said is a thing that they don't do. For this very specific reason, I'm sure. The hourly clerk who has to put up with dissatisfied customers cursing at her all day (Because Comcast IS terrible) is not going to invent a new receipt for me, Esh.

They actually will give you a billing statement saying that you don't owe them anything. I've held several in my hand after returning equipment (to Comcast) and paying off final bills.

Maybe you should calm down over $55 and wait to see what happens when you actually call them instead of getting all defensive and over reactionary about it?

• Options
    Esh, someday someone is going to give you a big old hug at PAX for all your helpful and not at all smarmy advice.

• Options
    Esh, someday someone is going to give you a big old hug at PAX for all your helpful and not at all smarmy advice.

Pot? Kettle.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It will be a special throat hug, I'm sure.

• Options
    Aw, I love you guys.

But seriously. I fucking hate Comcast.

• Options
    Aw, I love you guys.

But seriously. I fucking hate Comcast.

Better than Clear. We only get Fios in a few certain areas here in Portland, otherwise I'd check them out.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Small claims court is your Tjird recourse, behind waiting two months for your check and throat hugging esh and emptying out his wallet.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I don't want to worry you, but you DO want to start getting this worked out. In my experience of working for a certain cable company they WILL do more than keep that $55, they could actually bill you for the equipment they say you have. Call customer service. Ask them if they show the dates you were supposedly issued this equipment. Write down names and dates. If you aren't getting anywhere politely ask for a manager. It's been a few years but the computer used to show all closed work orders so the information should be there. Follow up on this, you don't want to be sent to collections for vastly over priced modems.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    on your monthly bill it will list every piece of equipment you are paying for and the monthly rate for the rental (cable modem, TV Box, etc.). Print out your bill that shows you not having those pieces of equipment and show it to them.

additionally, since it can never be said enough, write down the first and last name of everyone you talk to and when you talk to them. write a brief summary of the conversation and note any discrepencies with reality.

ask for reciepts and/or confirmation numbers.

• Options
    Yeah, I definitely called them. I don't know what I'll be able to say other than, "There is absolutely no way I owe you two modems and two digital converters, those things never existed."

I'm basically wondering what I'll do if they insist I have them, I obviously don't, and it's a paperwork area or my install guy just stole them or something.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    are they on your bill?

edit:

doc102312.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Yes, seems there are. It lists 2x dvr's at $0. Looks like it's been there awhile. I definitely don't have two dvr's.

• Options
    This is why it pays to really read your bill each month. Cause the girl you talked to isn't psychic.. she doesn't know you never got any of that. She sees that stuff on your account and has to make sure it's there. You will probably have to go a good bit higher up than low-level customer service now that you've canceled your account.

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    Tell the rep to fill out an equipment research form on the other equipment you never received. I was a team lead there for 4 years, it really is as simple as I described.

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    Tell the rep to fill out an equipment research form on the other equipment you never received. I was a team lead there for 4 years, it really is as simple as I described.

Current Comcast employee here. DeShadow is right.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options

Thanks guys, I believe that's what we're doing. They're looking for the serial numbers of the equipment in the warehouse.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If all this fails to work and you're still on the hook make sure to remind them how rediculous having two modems is and how that doesn't make sense, and point out there are probably other inconsistencies. Make sure to really drive home that.

Last but not least, as someone else suggested, feel free to file a small claims court suit. Did you get receipts after you handed them your equipment? You can probably use the bill of getting charged for equipment at $0, but it's less meaningful (I've never had a telcom/cable company provide me with free equipment without something like a $5 a month service charge).

Keep in mind small claims is usually a $60 filing fee. You can usually recoup the costs in a judgement. You may not be able to recoup time off either.

Call your bank and inform them that they overcharged you and you just noticed it now. 2 months later, they might still have recourse. This can get ugly though as they can potentially go after your credit. Though they might be a little bit more willing to talk to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also, they are supposed to give you a receipt when you return equipment (or at least Comcast has given me one every time I've done it). If you didn't get that, someone fucked up.

• Options
    I definitely got the receipt, but I was literally in the middle of moving houses, so my screw up there as I've probably lost it. It didn't have any details on it, though, it was just a normal sized receipt and indicated that I'd returned a modem and box.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular

Well, what they owe me for is part of a bill that I was obligated to pay. I think a chargeback wouldn't be supported since I did owe them most of the money, just not the last $50. Also it's been like two months.

I don't have serial numbers for anything. The paperwork they sent me doesn't have serial numbers on it. They ARE looking through the warehouse, as that's what they said along with, "Call us in a month." The specific advice I got was, "I'll put in a ticket. Call in a month, because they won't have called you back, and hassle them to see if they'll give you your money back yet."

If they jerk you around do not hesitate at all to contact Mastercard/Visa/whoever and explain to them "I only approved a transaction for $x, they took $y, they've refused to refund it claiming I have equipment of theirs that they never gave me. I want it chargedback." They will put through the request and either just do it no questions asked or deal with Comcast to get proof that you owe them equipment. Either way it will be a lot easier to deal with your credit card company who want to keep you as a customer than Comcast who at this point have nothing to gain by keeping you happy and $55 to gain by upsetting you.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Look at The Consumerist's website, they often have lists of phone numbers and email addresses for companies that will help you escalate things when normal routes aren't working.

• Options
    This is extremely late, but random update. Comcast no longer says I owe them, but they're still holing my $55. I think we've reached an impasse, where I will never return the equipment that they never gave me, and they'll never give me my $55 back because they know I won't take them to small claims.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would out of principle. But that's me!

Plus you can sometimes get back your filing fees. Especially if they can't produce receipts and that they're holding your money in bad faith. And sometimes even restitution for having to take time off of work to get it taken care of.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I would out of principle. But that's me!

Plus you can sometimes get back your filing fees. Especially if they can't produce receipts and that they're holding your money in bad faith. And sometimes even restitution for having to take time off of work to get it taken care of.

Yeah, that's the real point. Even with restitution, the opportunity cost isn't worth the principle of the thing. Comcast has my dissatisfaction built into their cost model already.