As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flying with a cat

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, it can't be avoided: Toward the end of December, I'm going to have to fly with my cat Rex—which, naturally, I've never done before.

I've already booked the flight, reserved his spot on it, and purchased an airline-approved carrier. We'll also be going to the vet beforehand to get all checked up.

I'm mostly concerned about getting through the airport—I have to remove him from the carrier to go through security—and handling him on the plane itself. He's fairly small but very energetic and vocal, and he's never been able to spend time outside of our apartment before, so I'm really not sure how he's going to react to the experience.

Any general tips, especially on keeping him calm, are appreciated. I've read that tranquilizers are actually not the way to go, but I'll have a conversation with the vet about it.

Thanks!

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    See if you're vet can't get him some kitty valium or something along those lines; something not to the level of a tranquilizer. They have some pretty safe stuff to use but if the vet says no then no it is.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Oh, I also wanted to specify that, thankfully, it's not a very long flight and I booked it nonstop: Just from New York to Chicago.

pygsig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well if you do get drugs i would highly suggest giving him one before hand to see how he reacts to it.

we drove cross country with our two guys and drugged them. one was doped up and slept the entire time while on the pill, the other got so paranoid that he pooped in his bed in the car. needless to say he didn't get the pill anymore and was actually fine with it.

you can try to desnesitze him to the crate but it could backfire on you and make him hate it even more.

assuming you are flying him in cabin right?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    well if you do get drugs i would highly suggest giving him one before hand to see how he reacts to it.

we drove cross country with our two guys and drugged them. one was doped up and slept the entire time while on the pill, the other got so paranoid that he pooped in his bed in the car. needless to say he didn't get the pill anymore and was actually fine with it.

you can try to desnesitze him to the crate but it could backfire on you and make him hate it even more.

assuming you are flying him in cabin right?

Yes, in-cabin.

pygsig.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Get a SOFT sided cat carrier that matches the limitations posted on your airline's website. I mean, really, the best thing to do is ignore us and just go the "Travelling with Pets" section of your airline's website.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Also: the kitty sedative your vet can give you is a must. Cats get very anxious with travel and you won't just be doing a favor to the other travelers by keeping him calm, but also to your cat.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I just did this on a two-leg flight. No sedatives, an my cat didn't make a peep the whole time. I got a soft-sided carrier that worked great, and she just hunkered down in her under-set spot and laid down the whole time. The natural airplane white noise droning definitely helps. I brought a collapsible water dish, but she didn't care about it at all. I also put some familiar-smelling toys of hers in with her.

Security was a bit tricksy, but all I had to do was keep a firm grip on her. If you think yours might bolt, it may be worth getting a harness leash thing just for the security step. For some reason they also had to swab my hands for explosive residue after I went through the metal detector.

If you care to, bringing some Benadryl in case you have a flight neighbor who is allergic.

• Options
    yea, honestly i wouldn't worry about food or water on a flight that short

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Get a SOFT sided cat carrier that matches the limitations posted on your airline's website. I mean, really, the best thing to do is ignore us and just go the "Travelling with Pets" section of your airline's website.

I got a soft-sided, Southwest-branded carrier (I'm flying Southwest, so, you know, consistency :P). They don't really have much info otherwise, though.
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I just did this on a two-leg flight. No sedatives, an my cat didn't make a peep the whole time. I got a soft-sided carrier that worked great, and she just hunkered down in her under-set spot and laid down the whole time. The natural airplane white noise droning definitely helps. I brought a collapsible water dish, but she didn't care about it at all. I also put some familiar-smelling toys of hers in with her.

Security was a bit tricksy, but all I had to do was keep a firm grip on her. If you think yours might bolt, it may be worth getting a harness leash thing just for the security step. For some reason they also had to swab my hands for explosive residue after I went through the metal detector.

If you care to, bringing some Benadryl in case you have a flight neighbor who is allergic.

Benadryl for my neighbor is a great thought, I'll make sure to do that. Thanks!

The security checkpoint I'm a bit worried about. My cat is fairly small and I'm pretty much always able to control him no matter how hard he tries to wrestle out of my grip, but still. Is there a harness/leash product anyone might recommend?

pygsig.png
  • Options
    just get a cheapo harness from petco and leave it on him for the flight, then reach in and clip the leash to him before yo take him out

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd leave the harness off on the flight. He's not going to be able to get out of the carrier. I was just suggesting it for "he's making a run for it!" insurance for that security gate piece... but now that I think of it I don't know how that would work with most harnesses having metal fasteners.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Also: the kitty sedative your vet can give you is a must. Cats get very anxious with travel and you won't just be doing a favor to the other travelers by keeping him calm, but also to your cat.

Absolutely not true. For some cats, but definitely not for all and not for such a short trip. My cat went coast to coast twice with no sedatives and was just fine. 13 hours in a carrier both ways.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »

Absolutely not true. For some cats, but definitely not for all and not for such a short trip. My cat went coast to coast twice with no sedatives and was just fine. 13 hours in a carrier both ways.

Can you explain a bit more about your experience, Esh?

pygsig.png
  • Options
    Zeromus wrote: »

Fed my cat at 8pm the night before, made sure he used the bathroom before the trip. Put him in his soft carrier, held him while they searched it at security. He stayed in his carrier without a peep the entire trip. Occasionally opened the top during flight to pet him. Rinse and repeat for the flight back 10 months later.

And he's a neurotic, very chatty Siamese.

Obligatory photo...
    330678517_e8ac0e8b27_z.jpg?zz=1

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I'd leave the harness off on the flight. He's not going to be able to get out of the carrier. I was just suggesting it for "he's making a run for it!" insurance for that security gate piece... but now that I think of it I don't know how that would work with most harnesses having metal fasteners.

so you are suggesting he take the cat out of its carrier so he can remove the harness in the airport, a harness he wants to put on the cat because he is worried that the cat will get away from him in the airport when he takes it out?

its at most a 1.5 hr flight. leaving the harness on is not going to be the end of the world.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Zeromus wrote: »

Fed my cat at 8pm the night before, made sure he used the bathroom before the trip. Put him in his soft carrier, held him while they searched it at security. He stayed in his carrier without a peep the entire trip. Occasionally opened the top during flight to pet him. Rinse and repeat for the flight back 10 months later.

And he's a neurotic, very chatty Siamese.

Obligatory photo...
    330678517_e8ac0e8b27_z.jpg?zz=1

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sounds like I probably don't need to sweat things so much. And what a cool-looking cat!

pygsig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

so you are suggesting he take the cat out of its carrier so he can remove the harness in the airport, a harness he wants to put on the cat because he is worried that the cat will get away from him in the airport when he takes it out?

its at most a 1.5 hr flight. leaving the harness on is not going to be the end of the world.

If it wasn't clear, I suggested the harness as a way to ease his worries about the cat bolting during the security screening, but then I realized that the metal fasteners may give him issues with the metal detector.

Leaving the harness on for a 1.5 hour flight definitely wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would also seem kind of silly to do since the cat would be locked in a bag for the 1.5 hours.

• Options
    the metal wouldn't be an issue since he has to take the cat out for wanding or whatever anyways

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    When I did this a few weeks ago, there wasn't any wanding (Boston Logan). The process was:
    • Take cat out of carrier
    • Hold onto cat for dear life and walk through metal detector
    • Get hands swabbed for explosives residue
    • Convince cat that she wants to go back into the carrier

• Options
    AmytheLibrarianAmytheLibrarian Registered User regular
    I did this over Christmas one year with blizzards delaying flights all over Canada. Took over 24 hours to get from London, Ontario to BC, normally a 4.5 hour flight. The cat was a trooper. If you're worried about taking Rex out of the carrier at security (like I was with my girl) put a kitty harness on him with a leash so at least you have something to grab if he spooks. In our case it was totally unnecessary. Mika clung to me through the security process. Clip his nails beforehand as well - the security agent told me a horror story about a cat shredding its owner pretty badly when it panicked. Other tips: 1) If he's not used to the carrier, start acclimating him now. Leave it out in the house, open. He'll adventure around inside it and get comfortable with it. 2) Take him out for walks in the carrier - this will get Rex and you both used to getting him in and out of the thing. It will also get him used to experiencing stimuli from inside it and not panicing because he can't runaway and hide. 3) I was a bit worried about using actual prescription sedatives in case Mika got sick on the flight or I fucked up and OD'd her or something so I used an herbal alternative. It was a couple of years ago now and I can't remember the brand, but they're out there. A well-stocked pet store should have something. I also squeezed the herbal drops onto her kitty treats so I didn't have to force them into her mouth. 4) When Rex is in the carrier stuffed under the seat in front of you, also use a jacket or blanket to cover it up. That makes it darker and (slightly) warmer so at least the visual stimuli are removed. 5) I arranged for my mom to have a litter box prepped and ready when we arrived. My girl had to PEE. It was a lot longer of a trip than I intended, but she held it the whole time and I don't know how I would have got her to go anyway (during layovers, etc.)

BTW, you'll likely be given a seat at the rear of the plane with other small pets and babies around. Airlines like to keep potential disturbances together I guess. Oh! If he's a smushed-face breed you might want to re-think flying him. Apparently those breeds can really struggle breathing with the pressurized environment.

Good luck! Cats are tough and adaptive. You'll be fine!

Librarians are the shhh!
  • Options
    BTW, you'll likely be given a seat at the rear of the plane with other small pets and babies around. Airlines like to keep potential disturbances together I guess. Oh! If he's a smushed-face breed you might want to re-think flying him. Apparently those breeds can really struggle breathing with the pressurized environment.

Really? I always choose my seating on the plane. I've never heard of an airline doing something like this.

• Options
    I'm flying Southwest, so it's pretty much a seating free-for-all unless they quarantine me.

pygsig.png
  • Options
    AmytheLibrarianAmytheLibrarian Registered User regular

Really? I always choose my seating on the plane. I've never heard of an airline doing something like this.

Hmmm. Maybe it's a Canadian Christmas rush thing.

Librarians are the shhh!
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Occasionally opened the top during flight to pet him.

My brother and his girlfriend tried to do this and their cat immediately made a break for it, almost making them into those people in the news who end up inadvertently delaying the flight so that the flight crew can look for an escaped feline. As it is the neighbors on the flight were nice and they were able to find and recapture him before things got out of hand, but... just be careful. Maybe try it in a car first.

• Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular

I would agree. From what I understand, sedatives aren't recommended, because they can be a bit unpredictable (especially if the cat hasn't tried them before).

Just for a brief anecdote, I moved from Seattle to Austin with three cats about a year ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. My main concern was that the meowing would bother people, but there were some mitigating factors:

- As soon as we put them in the carriers, they meowed like crazy. All the way to the airport, through security, and then waiting for the plane. But after about two hours (almost exactly two hours, weirdly), while we were waiting for the plane, they got almost totally quiet. I think they realized that they weren't going anywhere, and they finally gave up. So throughout the flight, they would make an occasional noise, but not often. And when I would check on them, they were usually relaxing/sleeping. They didn't love it, obviously, but they were fine.

- And something else you don't realize when you're not on a plane is that the ambient noise in a plane is really loud. Just the sounds of the air, the whirring from the engines, and whatever else means that sound doesn't travel nearly as well as you would expect. Even if the cat was meowing non-stop, only people within a couple rows would hear it.

• Options
    I believe the reason sedatives aren't recommended is because the compromised mental state can just make them panic even more about the strange experience, and also because of the risk of the animal getting nauseous and throwing up.