As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    10 bucks says Ciri is in CP2077.

Probably just as an NPC with no quests or anything like that. Just a background character.

Edit:. Apparently the director is dead set against it. Oh well.

tbh, if they don't put her in officially, I can guarantee that there will be appx. 45,000 shitty mods for the PC version that put her in somehow (and one actually decent one).

and at least 3 in which she's naked

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    10 bucks says Ciri is in CP2077.

Probably just as an NPC with no quests or anything like that. Just a background character.

Edit:. Apparently the director is dead set against it. Oh well.

tbh, if they don't put her in officially, I can guarantee that there will be appx. 45,000 shitty mods for the PC version that put her in somehow (and one actually decent one).

and at least 44,499 in which she's naked

fixed for sad reality

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think the likelihood of Ciri being in the game is directly related to how much Pondsmith likes the Witcher IP and games. Are we aware of this?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I think the likelihood of Ciri being in the game is directly related to how much Pondsmith likes the Witcher IP and games. Are we aware of this?

He has a fair amount of love for it and his son is literally making The Witcher tabletop game.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm putting 100 Eurodollars on Ciri not being in the game. The director was pretty adamant and I'm sure the team is happy to transition over to this new IP completely, not to mention issues with IP and royalties down the road. Even though CDPR has rights to The Witcher IP for video games, I'm guessing it's tied to the production of certain titles, and including Ciri in a different product may open CDPR up to a lawsuit from Sapkowski to get royalties from Cyberpunk 2077, especially since they didn't seem to part on very good terms with the original IP contract.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Eh, I'm certainly leaning towards there being some sort of Ciri easter egg. Not because the Devs are denying it, but because of how they're denying it.

It's less, "Yeah she wont be in the game because of these reasons [insert reasons here]."

It's more, "Ciri in CP2077? What no, that's crazy! It'll never happen, ever. Hell, I don't even know what a Ciri is! Something to do with an iphone? I don't even own an iphone! Get off my porch!" *slams door*

Axen on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ciri is a playable character.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Turns out the entire crux of the main plot is about getting Ciri home!

edit- And also, CDPR has plans for another Witcher game and considers the Witcher series to be an important part of their company's future.

Axen on
  • Options

Or she’s the representative from White Wolf Enterprises.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    And to clarify, when I talk about Ciri easter eggs I don't mean that she is actually in the game, but that there are things that allude to her existence. You can do that without actually name dropping her or showing her.

That's the kind of easter egg I would be surprised to not see. Anything more is maybe up in the air.

Axen on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

edit- And also, CDPR has plans for another Witcher game and considers the Witcher series to be an important part of their company's future.

Did Sapkowski ever calm down over the good press the Witcher games got? He was quite salty for a while that most people in America got introduced to his books through the games if I recall.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The biggest danger in a smart link gun would be from backdoors in the hardware put in by the corp making them.
    Wireless can be made all but unhackable, as long as nobody has access to either end of hardware, but somebody always had access to it before you got it, unless you make your own, and once they can mess with the hardware, no system is secure.
    I really hope there's some sort of quest, or even questline, about jailbraking cybernetics and removing hardware/software backdoors and killswitches.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    To be fair the Cyberpunk devs have had to CONSTANTLY dodge the, “ IS CIRI IN IT!!??!??!” Question since that shit was announced.

I am totally okay with them either not including her, or straight up lying.

• Options

Did Sapkowski ever calm down over the good press the Witcher games got? He was quite salty for a while that most people in America got introduced to his books through the games if I recall.

I think the salt was mainly because he elected for a one-time payment rather than royalties because he didn't expect the games to blow up as much as they did.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Nope. While he says he's happy for CDPR's success, he doesn't consider the Witcher games an appropriate reflection of his works. Comparisons between the two will still piss him off.

• Options
    Author's intent is an amusing thing at times.

• Options
    Author's intent is an amusing thing at times.

That it is. Some of my favorites (in no particular order)

Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Public perception: Holy shit our food is gross! FDA is formed. Author intent: A rallying cry for the workers of America to unite!
    Akiyuki Nosaka's Grave of the Fireflies. Public perception: War is fucking awful. Author intent: Children should listen to their elders.

And a top favorite of mine,

Hideaki Anno's Neon Genesis Evangelion. This one is less about the overall story and more about one particular character, Rei Ayanami. Public perception: KAWAII! NUMBER ONE WAIFU! MUST PROTECT! BEST GRIL! Author intent: Having no emotions is god damn creepy, disturbing, and inhuman. I love this one so much because that character trope has gone on to become, like, the Top Waifu of many, many, many works and to this day Hideaki cannot understand the appeal of the character.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    And to clarify, when I talk about Ciri easter eggs I don't mean that she is actually in the game, but that there are things that allude to her existence. You can do that without actually name dropping her or showing her.

That's the kind of easter egg I would be surprised to not see. Anything more is maybe up in the air.

Ja. I'm thinking like... ambient conversations about a strange white-haired girl, "I heard a rumor that some corp made like... a quantum teleport mod! They're gonna use it in their final coup against [Other Corp]." "Have you seen that guy walking around who STILL has elf ears? That shit is SO 2070." [re: Avellach, who iirc came with Ciri.]

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    It's just that, goddamn no one cared about the Witcher in America at least until the games hit, specifically Witcher 2, and from there it just exploded.

My like of the Witcher's story wouldn't exist without the visuals of the games, and the voice acting of Doug Cockle among many, many others.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It's just that, goddamn no one cared about the Witcher in America at least until the games hit, specifically Witcher 2, and from there it just exploded.

My like of the Witcher's story wouldn't exist without the visuals of the games, and the voice acting of Doug Cockle among many, many others.

If you wanted to get into The Witcher series before the video games you had to speak Polish. There wasn't an English translation until after the first game.

• Options
    Unless it’s changed in the last year or so he doesn’t hate the games. He has no opinion of them. He just doesn’t want people to think they know the story of the books because they played the game since they’re fairly different.

Last interview I saw of him he had at least some respect for CDPR because they would often call him up and ask if they could change this or add that. As he put it they didn’t have to.

As to the success of the games themselves he is pretty happy with it as it meant “huge money” for him in book sales.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The works of Franz Kafka. Public perception: Books. Kafka's perception: Gotta remember to burn this trash.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, anyone wants to turn something I write into a videogame, I'll trumpet its arrival from every mountaintop. I wouldn't have read the books without the games. Take the gateway media however you can.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Well, that's some progress at least.

• Options
    You know, if there was a DLC expansion to the game that involved Ciri, technically they could say she isn't in the game and not be lying.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Her voice will cameo as an AI assistant built into a phone.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Witcher's DLC expansions were so good that im already looking forward to Cyberpunks inevitable expansions

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm usually a "wait for a GOTY edition" with all the expansions kind of person.

I don't know if I can hold out with Cyberpunk 2077.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ah hell, the gameplay demo was pre-alpha? So we got years to go still probably. Boo.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Ah hell, the gameplay demo was pre-alpha? So we got years to go still probably. Boo.

They said the story was playable a couple of weeks ago. From this point, Witcher 3 took about a year and a half.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    'Playable" has many different layers.

• Options
    In this case “playable” is the main story from start to finish. Not so much the side stuff.

• Options
    I'm hopeful that it'll take about as long as Witcher 3. It's a balance between being much better at this kind of design after Witcher 3, along with the takeaway that there will be MUCH more options and variety than Witcher 3. So it's what they're good at, with a challenging amount of diversity compared to their last game.

And like many, I'm giddy to see what they can accomplish in DLC. Hoping it's less of an expansion of Night City and more of specific experiences that they couldn't offer with such an open character. Maybe a story revolving around Morgan Blackhand or Johnny Silverhand, or a story where you play a pure netrunner. Things like that would be what I'd like to see.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just hope they open up more buildings and Night City is just a huge map like GTA

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I just hope they open up more buildings and Night City is just a huge map like GTA

While I'm hoping that outside scenarios it's just one map I favor "Small but dense" (like the Yakuza series) over "sprawling but the streets are dead" (so many open world games).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited September 2018

While I'm hoping that outside scenarios it's just one map I favor "Small but dense" (like the Yakuza series) over "sprawling but the streets are dead" (so many open world games).

Yep, Yakuza is THE ultimate testament to this idea. A metric shit-ton to do and people to meet in just 4 square blocks.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I could see something like the Sleeping Dogs approach working: city areas with actual content all linked by highway, but the highway sections are just highway. Lets the game area be spread out more so it has the look and scope of a big city, but without having to have block upon block of streets and inaccessible buildings that never get used and make the game world feel empty.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Having recently beat Nier Automata, it's great to learn that the Voice Actor for A2 is voicing female V in Cyberpunk. Will be super tempting to give the character long silver hair and blue eyes during my playthrough

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    If I ever have money again should I buy nier?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular