As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skies of Phalladia - Finale: Into Blue Skies

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well I'm glad we won. So who ended up killing me?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think this was a tough game for the Mafia to win. Not impossible, but with the village as organized and powerful as it was it was definitely tough.

That said, we were doing good until MrT apparently decided to blab to the village and got us all killed :evil:

Bravian proboards are here, not sure if registration is required.

Edit: The apostrophe bothered me since day 1.

Bremen on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    In case I forget, I had a good time, even if I felt terrible for @I needed a name to post. for dying day 1. Thanks for hosting MrB!

Assuran on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting this MrBlarney.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the larger hulls should have been cheaper. I have a feeling I could have put together a better ship if they were a little cheaper, even with RNG screwing me on exploration and having to spend some money on repairs. Most I got was the second most expensive hull, probably would have gone with the most expensive one and the top line engine (in hindsight probably would have gone with a cheaper deck plating and the medium turret - at least I wouldn't have had to sell the engine to get a weapon end game ><). Survival wise I think the large hulls worked, even if they were pricey.

I'm curious did anyone have access to master engineer or master merchant on day one? Those are probably the only two skills I could think of that would have likely be OP at the very start.

I did like how we could use the consumables on people, this is something I'd like to see in other stat block games. It's a good way to allow players to coordinate with one another and adds another layer of strategy to team play; especially, when you fact in some of the skills.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    I think this was a tough game for the Mafia to win. Not impossible, but with the village as organized and powerful as it was it was definitely tough.

That said, we were doing good until MrT apparently decided to blab to the village and got us all killed :evil:

http://phalladiaskymerica.proboards.com/index.cgi

If we were lucky and got the real seer, it could have turned out differently. Also, why didn't either mafia take out the mouthpiece earlier

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    So, I helped kill a mafia Day 1! Huzzah! Was also shot down Day 1! BOOOO!

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Well, that kinda sucks, when I tried to rally the black pirates it appears there were 4 black 4 blue 1 mafia 1 SK and 1 neutral.

I should have gone with a more impassioned plea or a line like blahmcblahs.

Oh well. I learn but...

I apologize for nothing.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    And you shouldn't, Void.

You played to your win con, good on ya!

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    All right, which of you blew me up on day 1? And after I tried to be helpful, too!

Note to self: never make another spreadsheet ever again.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

If we were lucky and got the real seer, it could have turned out differently. Also, why didn't either mafia take out the mouthpiece earlier

Because Langly had a freaking 129 DEF. We (Bravians) hit him twice with our flagship, the second time we had requested Ashan help as well but apparently didn't get it.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I cannot believe that not a single mafia got in contact with me. I was definitely willing to deal in order to save the Black Pirates asses.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Well, at least I was right that there was an SK, even if I was totally wrong about who it was. Why do I keep dying right before the last resistance just gives up? Oh well, a win is a win, I suppose. Good job, 38th. You would've totally deserved it if you pulled it off, Fiaryn.

Thanks so much for running this, MrB! It was tons of fun.

• Options
    I would like to say once again, that the vote on me towards the end was BS. I don't know what happened, but I'm still bitter damn it!

I had a hunch there was an SK as well, since they tend to be common in most phalla games. On that note, I'm not sure how much more needs to be done to tweak the role's mechanics. Not announcing it in narration early on was probably a good call because the roll is hard to play from what I've seen and a smart players on both sides tend to move quickly to be rid of them (though sometimes we kill them out of blind luck, which T_A experienced in the Bulge phalla).

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    All right, which of you blew me up on day 1? And after I tried to be helpful, too!

Note to self: never make another spreadsheet ever again.

That would be my hitsquad.

Day 1 I put the players who 1) contacted me quickly 2) were clearly willing to be aggressive into a hitsquad. Originally, it was to be comprised of Matev, kilnaga, vagrant_winds, TRV and REG Rysk.

Fiaryn was to be my personal hitman to give me gold by splitting bounties.

Given that this was Day 1, I decided to try and get other peoples' stupid grudges out of the way. jdarksun was to be the hitsquad target while INANTP was to be Fiaryn's target. Then INANTP and jdarksun quickly became leading candidates for the vote.

Bedlam was assigned the hitsquads new target, but kilnaga mentioned that this was Bedlam's first game back and was uncomfortable shooting him. I wanted people to fire their guns, so I said fine and put T_A up for the final hitsquad target.

Lucedes was the secondary target for Fiaryn, but I had been talking to Langly during the day and gave him the names of Matev and TRV to contact, if he chose, should I die. He asked if Matev told me his identity as a black pirate. I said I would investigate. My investigation came in the form of death.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well, that kinda sucks, when I tried to rally the black pirates it appears there were 4 black 4 blue 1 mafia 1 SK and 1 neutral.

I should have gone with a more impassioned plea or a line like blahmcblahs.

Oh well. I learn but...

I apologize for nothing.

I was questioning Alegis and 38th about Mill. If you had thrown jdark to the thread instead, I would have backed you...

edit: hell, even Kaplar. Since Mprime had ordered us to attack him before he died.

It's a pity Alegis didn't care more... I was telling him the whole Mill thing didn't make a whole lot of sense based on Day 5.

Egos on
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

This is definitely not what happened. Langly already had all of your numbers. The day I came out trying to argue for MP's demise he already knew about all the people that came out against him except Ringo, and somehow they missed jdark.

I'm not sure that a mafia win was realistic. Cythraul and I teamed up day 1 and made sure that there was absolutely no crossfire until it was already too late and we were still overtaken by the fact that we didn't know how to hide our attacks from Langly and other village organizers. I'm not saying we played perfectly by any stretch, but we had what should have been a huge advantage that would compensate for poor play and it did no such thing.

That said, I did have a great time, so thanks for hosting.

• Options
    Games with competing mafias are tough.
    for the mafias I mean

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting this MrBlarney!
    Black 4ever!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    They're even harder when the village has a bus driver to redirect a mafia's kill onto its members. :mrgreen:

Mill on
  • Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Games with competing mafias are tough.
    for the mafias I mean

We weren't competing, though. We hooked up day 1 and were more or less working together.

But yeah. The village had both specials and could rapidly confirm people using attacks/bounties/shipnames, and the mafia kill was unreliable. After reading the Ashan forum I'm pretty sure we were doomed as soon as the village started getting organized.

• Options
    If it's any consolation the village tried to kill me, even though I told @TheRoadVirus I was a special basically :3

• Options
    Yeah, the mafia's best chance at winning was to encourage the village rivalry. Things probably would have gone differently, if towards the middle of the game, there were more faction oriented villagers than ones that want to purge their ranks of mafia.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, the mafia's best chance at winning was to encourage the village rivalry. Things probably would have gone differently, if towards the middle of the game, there were more faction oriented villagers than ones that want to purge their ranks of mafia.

On the other hand, the village was largely able to do both at the same time; if they didn't know who the mafia was, lashing out at the other faction was as likely to hit a mafia as any other move.

• Options
    Nah, if there were more people on board with the kill the other side mentality, things wouldn't have dramatically slowed down the way they did and there were a few of us that weren't even attacking till the network made calls to fire on known or clearly obvious mafia. Skimming the proboards, it seems like you guys were plugged into the kill squads and coordinating with each other, that does quite a bit for spreading damage out on the village and trying to redirect hits or prepare to minimize the damage taken.

• Options

Because Langly had a freaking 129 DEF. We (Bravians) hit him twice with our flagship, the second time we had requested Ashan help as well but apparently didn't get it.
    I was talking about magic prime. And didn't both fleets hit langly the 2nd try?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I cannot believe how many shots I dodged even though I was sitting around 60 EVA.

• Options

I was talking about magic prime. And didn't both fleets hit langly the 2nd try?

No, the Bravians attacked Langly 3 seperate time with our group kill. It was only on the third attempt, when the Ashen's combined forces, that we managed to kill him.

• Options
    Ah, I thought there was only 1 missing confederation kill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Did anyone find the captain's skill useful? I got it at full ranks as my assigned starting skill (as in I didn't pick it), but at my lowest health point I still had 64 health to go before it would have made a difference. I'd like to see what others have to say about it, if they had and to see if anyone picked it up willingly. Looking at the some of the numbers that people had for hits, I'm wondering if this one might have been slightly on the weak side, but then I ran with a tanky setup, so that could be making me biased against it.

Mill on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    @egos Honk honk honk.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Egos wrote: »
    I was questioning Alegis and 38th about Mill. If you had thrown jdark to the thread instead, I would have backed you...

edit: hell, even Kaplar. Since Mprime had ordered us to attack him before he died.

It's a pity Alegis didn't care more... I was telling him the whole Mill thing didn't make a whole lot of sense based on Day 5.
    I believed you and was suspecting 38doe was simply favoring throwing a black to the thread instead of a blue. Talked about the other targets but they weren't preferred

I didn't have a lot of time that night to wing it into someone else unfortunately. I also healed you that night (instead of 38doe's request to heal him which I wouldnt have done) but you still died from fiaryn's kill

I had like 98 evasion but no one ever targeted me, ever ... My plan was to help blacks by surviving until the end. Instead of attacking (I had no weapons) I explored.

Alegis on
  • Options
    appreciate the heals btw.

And Fiaryn's misguided kill when he should have been encouraging a close race :(

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    They're even harder when the village has a bus driver to redirect a mafia's kill onto its members. :mrgreen:
    This. Busdrivers are the devil.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Who killed me?

And why so mean?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    It looks like Spoit, Doe, and blah combined on you.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    So glad this is over, good job taking the reins 38!

It was really funny to me to watch the thread and see people talk about me after I died. Who did Langly trust, I was working with Langly from the beginning, etc. I loved it!

I always get really invested in faction games like this, and in relieved everything I put into the game worked out. I was worried my efforts were going to be largely in vain once I learned that fiaryn was the serial killer. Especially when 38th listed him not just as confirmed, but seered as well.

38th and I hooked up pretty early in the game, and by the end of day two tree three I had spoken top everyone on the game and had most alignments except for two or three players. Then I stayed collecting ship names, and it got easy to start catching people in lies. I caught Bremen, assurance, and mrt that way, which is why I had fiaryn kill assuran, and I tried to get mrt to work with me.

Also@premium and@rainfall should get medals for working so well with me. Premium provided all the information to catch those three because he was the ship they were lying about. I knew malkor and ugm were mafia just because of their reticence to claim anything, ugm specifically because when he finally did tell me, it was because he thought he already had but it just stooped his mind. Unfortunately I knew a lot of people had asked him and he also had not answered.

I am so glad that zand actually was mafia because he was the most unhelpful villager, which I set am attack squad on, but it didn't go through the first time because he was so evasive.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Ugh. I was specifically not attacking anyone and saving up money for the lategame once there was more information.

I guess considering it was a mafia and two blues I can't get too mad, but I was literally attacked by no one any of the days prior.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    You were a coordinated hit that I called, but I think blah said he wanted to target you initially. You weren't really a high target to me, but were also unconfirmed, so I didn't have a problem with it.

Langly on
  • Options
    I would like to say once again, that the vote on me towards the end was BS. I don't know what happened, but I'm still bitter damn it!

I had a hunch there was an SK as well, since they tend to be common in most phalla games. On that note, I'm not sure how much more needs to be done to tweak the role's mechanics. Not announcing it in narration early on was probably a good call because the roll is hard to play from what I've seen and a smart players on both sides tend to move quickly to be rid of them (though sometimes we kill them out of blind luck, which T_A experienced in the Bulge phalla).

Your vote and the vote on blah were both sad. I know 38th was doing his best to clear out people he hasn't Seered, but you were pretty clearly not abravian, which was the only faction left. Jdark had an evasive ship, so I didn't know why at least the vote and the shoot targets didn't get switched.

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    How did I die?

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!