Options

[Assassin's Creed] FOLD UP THE FLAGS. THIS THREAD IS DEAD! ARRR!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
assassins-creed-4-black-flag-confirmed-by-ubisoft.jpg
Assassin's Creed Series Discussion

As we all enjoy the game, please make sure to keep story and event spoilers in "spoiler tags" so to not ruin the game for anyone else.

History

The Assassin's Creed series, developed by Ubisoft, debuted in 2007 with the original Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Players assumed the role of Desmond Miles, a modern day fellow who just happens to have a genetic assassin ancestor in his past. Using a machine called the Animus, Desmond is able to view and control his ancestor, an assassin by the name of Altair. Combining elements of stealth, action, science-fiction, and (partially) historical accurate references, AC was a commercial success for Ubisoft and work for a sequel was placed underway.

Assassin's Creed II launched in November of 2009, once again for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. The sequel had players still playing as Desmond, but controlling a different assassin ancestor by the name of Ezio. AC2 added new gameplay elements such as swimming, riding horses and boats, and the introduction of Leonardo da Vinci who invents a bunch of devices for Ezio to use.

Riding upon the success of ACII, Ubisoft released follow-up games, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations in 2010 and 2011. Both AC:B and AC:Rev are sequels in story to AC2 with players once again controlling the assassin Ezio. The difference this time around is that Ezio can recruit other assassins to work for him in his struggles against the Templars. Finally, AC:B is also the first game in the series to feature a multiplayer mode in which players are hunting targets while avoiding being targeted themselves.

Assassin's Creed III. The game takes place during the Revolutionary War and features a new protagonist, Conner. Hunt down Red Coats (and some Blue Coats) and find out what the Templars have been up to for the last couple hundred years.

Assassin's Creed IV takes our stabbing onto the high seas. Take control of Captain Edward Kenway, pirate captain and the newest protagonist.

You can learn more about the series by visiting the official webpage, joining the Facebook page, playing the interactive Facebook game Project Legacy, watching the animated movie Assassin's Creed Ascendance, or connecting to Uplay and earn points to unlock new multiplayer characters and gear.

Want to find other PA people to play some Multiplayer with on Xbox360/XB1? Send a friend request to our new meta tag: PA Abstergo

Want to find other PA people to play some Multiplayer with on PS3/4? Post your PSN name here in the forum and include @MNC Dover (with the "" marks or it won't work) so I can add you to the list below.
DouglasDanger
Farangu
jermtse
RhesusPositive
dracilcegon

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I love these naval missions.

They're simple, fun, and they make me feel like a sea captain.

Like, I would love to play a game that was just a massive expansion on this part of the game.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I can not wait for the naval stuff. I am really early and just got to the point where I can roam around the home base freely. Spending so much time hunting.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Mother fu-

I failed to get full synchronization again because it didn't bother to list all the objectives on the screen. I need to remind myself to go into the menus and view that information instead of just charging forward, but I'm still upset I have to do that in the first place.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    I don't so much hunt in this game, as much as mass murder beavers when I need cash.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I love launching off a tree branch to stab a beaver in the face. I never thought I'd ever say that about a video game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Dashui wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Mother fu-

I failed to get full synchronization again because it didn't bother to list all the objectives on the screen. I need to remind myself to go into the menus and view that information instead of just charging forward, but I'm still upset I have to do that in the first place.

I kind of got the feeling they did that so people wouldn't see the synchronisations up front and think they are forced to comply with them the first time through.
    Like I could imagine someone thinking that would be a good idea. It would work for someone like me so it's not all bad, but if they were going to do that they should allow you to turn off the game telling you if you got full synchronization at the end as well.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Is there a major connection between Liberation and AC3? I just got to
    Achilles Davenport and with Liberation being set in the south with an african american protag I wondered if he was the connection between the two.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I hear Liberation is not that great!

I suppose I should not be surprised

But I kinda am, a little

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Sooooo...
    after the skyscraper mission and smashing Cross in his bitch-ass face, where do I go to plug in that relic?

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Sooooo...
    after the skyscraper mission and smashing Cross in his bitch-ass face, where do I go to plug in that relic?

The room on your left. Climb up a little until you see
    an image of Juno standing in front of a desk
    . There should be a square slot there to interact with.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, give some context to your spoiler, something like the sequence number. Most of us who aren't insane haven't finished the game yet but still may want to help, but clicking on an unlabeled spoiler with no context is stupid.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    Sooooo...

The room on your left. Climb up a little until you see
    an image of Juno standing in front of a desk
    . There should be a square slot there to interact with.

You are awesome. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    How's everybody doing, money-wise? I'm at the top of sequence 6 and I'm sitting on like £20,000. Most of it is from chests though, and those are in finite supply.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm in Sequence 9 and have about 12000-15000 on average.

Most of your money will probably go towards buying ship upgrades since they get pretty expensive but I haven't found myself desperate for money.

Usually when I'm down on funds I just go hunting for Bears, Cougars, Elks, and/or Wolves since their pelts sell for a bit once you get access to the
    convoys

Usually I make around 3-5k a run.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I'm pretty sure I hate all the changes to the control system.

On the other hand, fuck me is this a good story.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So I hear Liberation is not that great!

I suppose I should not be surprised

But I kinda am, a little

WRONG! Liberation is awesome. The budget isn't on the same scale as the console installments, for obvious reasons, but I'm still having a ton of fun. A hell of a lot more fun than I had playing AC1 and Revelations anyway.

I really hope this results in a sequel from Ubi Sofia instead of them just being thrown on the AC yearly sequel factory line.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I just started playing this and have no idea what's going on since I haven't played an AC game since 2 and skipped Brotherhood and Revelations completely.

Are there still the little snippets of video footage to collect or was that already wrapped up?

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think that was all wrapped up.
    I think you should play Brotherhood though. Skip Revelations.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Re-post from the old thread that was closed but I am dumb and posted there anyway:

So this is my first AC game and I'm really trying to enjoy it, but to be honest the controls are really throwing me for a loop here. Is there something I'm missing, or are they just inherently really clunky? I mean, it's at the point where I inadvertently walk around and shoot/attack things when I don't actually intend to, and yet still can't manage to pull off a real "assassination" (anything involving redcoats inevitably turns into a very public brawl and I'm left running for the hills).

Please tell me that there's some sort of special key combination or "way of doing things" that is assumed but that I'm somehow missing here...

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    every time I go into the woods at night, BEARS EVERYWHERE

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So this is my first AC game and I'm really trying to enjoy it, but to be honest the controls are really throwing me for a loop here. Is there something I'm missing, or are they just inherently really clunky? I mean, it's at the point where I inadvertently walk around and shoot/attack things when I don't actually intend to, and yet still can't manage to pull off a real "assassination" (anything involving redcoats inevitably turns into a very public brawl and I'm left running for the hills).

Please tell me that there's some sort of special key combination or "way of doing things" that is assumed but that I'm somehow missing here...

Most of that is knowing when to be in high profile (running, guards know you're up to no good) and low profile (walking, fairly incognito), and when to blend. Same goes with running - it need to know when to be in 'autosprintparkour' mode and when not to be.

Movement comes with practice. Unfortunately, I've been in the boat you're in with killing guards since the first game. Every time I try to pull off a quiet, non rooftop kill, I end up in a brawl with half of the city. But seeing as I enjoy the combat, that's never bad.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Did they change the controls or something. It feels different.

I've only played the first couple of games and still need to beat 2 but my cousin bought it today and I free roamed a little bit. Didn't they used to have each face button represent the body parts. All I know is I keep trying to sprint with x

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Stealth mission in the camp as the precursor to the
    Braddock Expedition
    in Sequence 3 was fucking ridiculous trying to do all the optional objectives. The equivalent of infiltrating the Vatican with no casualties or detection in Brotherhood: a pain in the ass. It really throws how stupid the stealth system is into sharp relief when a guy walks right by you because you're standing in two foot high bushes. Still, it was super satisfying to go all Predator on the very next mission. And then the end of Sequence 3...
    Which one of Ezio's son's was the first to turn I wonder? Was Hatham the first one? They did say something to him about switching sides...

So did anyone figure out whether the optional objectives are all or nothing? Like if the objectives are "blow up two things" and "kill nobody", can you do those on separate trips for full sync?

Finally, is one of the secret achievements: pet or hunt every kind of animal? Because it so should be.

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    This game is so ridiculous in a good way. Like killing a rabbit with a flying punch from the top of a church (okay, not the top. But a rooftop nonetheless!). And the fact that Connor cares about his investments so much, that when there's trouble he's more than happy to climb a sheer cliff in the middle of the night in the pouring rain then run hundreds of meters uphill only to be savagely mauled by wolves in eyesight of his merch :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Stealth mission in the camp as the precursor to the
    Braddock Expedition
    in Sequence 3 was fucking ridiculous trying to do all the optional objectives. The equivalent of infiltrating the Vatican with no casualties or detection in Brotherhood: a pain in the ass. It really throws how stupid the stealth system is into sharp relief when a guy walks right by you because you're standing in two foot high bushes. Still, it was super satisfying to go all Predator on the very next mission. And then the end of Sequence 3...
    Which one of Ezio's son's was the first to turn I wonder? Was Hatham the first one? They did say something to him about switching sides...

So did anyone figure out whether the optional objectives are all or nothing? Like if the objectives are "blow up two things" and "kill nobody", can you do those on separate trips for full sync?

Finally, is one of the secret achievements: pet or hunt every kind of animal? Because it so should be.

Tip for that mission
    Switch to fists only, no hidden blade. you can stealth kill with impunity then and it only knocks them out. (Except for Washington and the other guy... they cannot be targeted at all or you Desync)

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Is there a movement bug for Assassins creed? Altair will often stop dead in his tracks, sometime to .where it's a stutterstep. Doesn't happen all the time, bu it's less than optimal

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    The end of Sequence 8 is really rad.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Tip for that mission
    Switch to fists only, no hidden blade. you can stealth kill with impunity then and it only knocks them out. (Except for Washington and the other guy... they cannot be targeted at all or you Desync)
    Aw shit... That actually didn't work in Ass Bro, so I didn't bother trying. It's possible without touching anybody. Occasionally it helps to let them notice you and then slip around them so they get off their too short patrol route for a second.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I happened upon something rather interesting early today as part of some Frontiersmen side quests while in Sequence 06. I'm not sure if it was date specific or not, but it certainly seemed appropriate.
    One of the frontiersmen camps told me about the legend of the Headless Horseman, and sent me out to look for signs of it being real or not.

End of event spoilers:
    I found a bloody body by the side of a road with... I guess a severed head? It looked weird, like there was a bag or a rock where the head was supposed to be where it was laying. Possibly unfortunate placement of the model.

Just then, Connor looks up as off to the side, a black stallion rears up and its rider, a man in black with a jack-o-lantern for a head with unearthly, green flames lighting it from within, cackles with a haunting, reverb-filled laugh. The figure vanishes.

Seems to be the end of the quest, for the heck of it I actually read the AnimusDB entry for it. Connor's conclusions?
    Connor wrote:
    I found the Headless Horseman. The stories of his taking human heads are no fables. But he was a man.
    ...Seriously, what the fuck peyote is Connor smoking to call the unholy visage he witnessed 'a man'?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    So naval combat sucks, and this game continues to disappoint

Most Disappointing Game 2012

Easily

After completing sequence 5, even if the rest of the game turned out to be amazing from the standard AC gameplay sense, it can't be saved into making it one of the better games in the series, because all the things they've added - hunting, naval combat, the homestead stuff - it's all just poor additions. Basically the same problem that Revelations had with its bomb-crafting and tower defense, only amplified.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options

Easily

Man I am having the complete opposite experience of you.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Winky wrote: »

Easily

Man I am having the complete opposite experience of you.

I am happy for you! There are some people who actually really liked the bomb crafting and tower defense in Revelations, and as such I imagine there are people who really like the hunting and naval combat in this

But none of these are reasons why I play Assassin's Creed

I play Assassin's Creed to *drumroll* assassinate people!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I like just about everything in this game, but boats is dumb

• Options
    Also the Lucy thing is directly addressed as part of the main storyline.

It's not much more than a few lines of dialog, though.

Not sure if there's more later on.

• Options
    I like hunting, but I hate that they boiled head-on battles with tougher animals as QTEs. it's much more satisfactory to air assassinate those guys. fighting a pack of wolves is super tedious. they should have done it like RDR.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Hunting in RDR is so good

My favorite thing so far has been Desmond stuff

But it makes sense, that was some of my favorite stuff in 2 and Brotherhood, and something that Revelations was sorely lacking

In fact, even after Revelations and 3, this still isn't a series I'm soured on. The core gameplay behind it is too good. I'd still love to play Liberation one day, and I sincerely hope they do a modern-day game at some point in time as it would undoubtedly blow any of the others away.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

I've only played the first couple of games and still need to beat 2 but my cousin bought it today and I free roamed a little bit. Didn't they used to have each face button represent the body parts. All I know is I keep trying to sprint with x
    The "puppeteering" system that they used in the other games is entirely gone now. The idea was to consolidate different kinds of actions and interactions in order to make the game more approachable to people that couldn't wrap their heads around the way the game controlled before. I think it was also sort of spurred by dropping the head button in Revelations so that they had a place to put bombs, and moving eagle vision to L3 as a result. In the previous games, you had a run/sprint distinction. If you were in high profile with the leg button held, you were in free run mode. You sprinted, would climb automatically, and would jump off ledges. If you were in high profile without the leg button held, you would run but not free run. You sacrificed a tiny bit of speed, but you wouldn't climb and you would drop off ledges if there was a safe landing under it. That distinction gave you a pretty good granularity over your movement, and reduced a lot of clutter. If you were near climbable objects, but didn't want to accidentally climb one, you dropped out of free run. If you had a balcony under you and wanted to quickly get to a lower level, you dropped out of free run. You could also manage your speed to make jumps more accurate.

In AC3, all running is free running. If you're in high profile without the jump button held, you're in "safe" free run. The only difference to safe free run is that you don't jump off ledges if there isn't a thing to jump to other than the ground. If going over the ledge would put you on the ground, you come to a dead stop instead. What was previously the leg button is, in free run, the it's-okay-to-jump-anyway button. You can still do manual early jumps, but otherwise a whole full layer of movement got replaced with a toggle over whether or not you jump off (some) ledges, which isn't particularly useful. As far as I know, there isn't a way to do a safe running drop anymore, and there's no way to run without opening yourself up to accidentally climbing up stuff.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »

The "puppeteering" system that they used in the other games is entirely gone now. The idea was to consolidate different kinds of actions and interactions in order to make the game more approachable to people that couldn't wrap their heads around the way the game controlled before. I think it was also sort of spurred by dropping the head button in Revelations so that they had a place to put bombs, and moving eagle vision to L3 as a result. In the previous games, you had a run/sprint distinction. If you were in high profile with the leg button held, you were in free run mode. You sprinted, would climb automatically, and would jump off ledges. If you were in high profile without the leg button held, you would run but not free run. You sacrificed a tiny bit of speed, but you wouldn't climb and you would drop off ledges if there was a safe landing under it. That distinction gave you a pretty good granularity over your movement, and reduced a lot of clutter. If you were near climbable objects, but didn't want to accidentally climb one, you dropped out of free run. If you had a balcony under you and wanted to quickly get to a lower level, you dropped out of free run. You could also manage your speed to make jumps more accurate.

In AC3, all running is free running. If you're in high profile without the jump button held, you're in "safe" free run. The only difference to safe free run is that you don't jump off ledges if there isn't a thing to jump to other than the ground. If going over the ledge would put you on the ground, you come to a dead stop instead. What was previously the leg button is, in free run, the it's-okay-to-jump-anyway button. You can still do manual early jumps, but otherwise a whole full layer of movement got replaced with a toggle over whether or not you jump off (some) ledges, which isn't particularly useful. As far as I know, there isn't a way to do a safe running drop anymore, and there's no way to run without opening yourself up to accidentally climbing up stuff.

Jesus that is going to irritate the crap out of me.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hey guys who have finished the game.

Is this the actual last one?

Just a yes or a no in a spoiler will suffice thankyou.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Hey guys who have finished the game.

Is this the actual last one?

Just a yes or a no in a spoiler will suffice thankyou.

I've only just started, but I will bet all the money that Ubisoft aren't going to leave this cash-cow alone.
    The best I'm hoping for is an end to the Desmond story, but I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Early question (mid-sequence 2); what exactly is a combo kill? I got the optional objective to get three sequential combo kills, but I'm not sure what kind of kills they are (I tried parrying and killing, but that didn't seem to do it)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.